Sequel: Glass
Status: Complete

Pieces

Six

I stood in front of the mirrored bathroom, seeing the dress on me for the first time in almost two years. It still fit like a glove. The only difference was that I was a completely different person. I felt like I was bringing back the old Violet, and I didn't like that.

"Craig, let me go," I growled, his grip tightening on my wrist. He ran his thumb down the various marks on my arm. The ones he had placed their during our near-year relationship.

"I know exactly what you're planning, Violet, and I don't like it," He hissed before leaning in to my ear. He placed his lips against the shell of my ear, "You made your bed, now it's time for you to lie in it."

The atmosphere of the club was tense. The music was ringing in my ears and I wasn't sure which was was left or right. My black dress was suddenly uncomfortable, and all at once I forgot the plan that I had meticulously weaved for my escape.

We walked through the crowd and I couldn't ignore the eyes that fell on me. Every single person eyed me and the grip Craig kept on me. The girls would whisper to each other, looking at me like I was a piece of trash. The scum of the earth as I clung to the most powerful man Las Vegas had ever seen. The envy I had once seen in their eyes was gone, and now replaced with mocking disgust.

"Can we at least go get a drink?" I asked him, looking up at him sweetly.

Despite how ugly I grown to see him over the past few months, he was still mesmerizing as ever. Blue eyes, the slightest scruff on his strong jawline. He had a face that every girl would fawn over. He was mine, but I didn't want him. Not anymore.

"Anything for you, my dear. But you're not leaving my side, Doll," He whispered in my ear as he lead me to the bar. I ordered a drink and he payed, of course. I gingerly brought it to my lips, hoping the amber liquid would calm my shaking nerves. I knew Craig could see right through me. He always did. And I was sure he could see my knees shaking weakly.

As I let the liquid burn my throat, a young boy ran up to us, wearing the typical employee outfit. Black slacks, a white dress shirt, and a black tie. I kept my eyes away from him as he turned to Craig with a serious look on his face, "Sir, we have a situation on the VIP floor," I could feel Craig tense as he looked up to the VIP lounge, seeing a group of fifteen girls and guys arguing and nearly throwing punches at each other.

He huffed and turned to me before looking back up to the floor. He sighed, giving in before turning back to the boy, "You watch her, alright?" Craig pointed to me, "You lose her and you lose your job. Don't forget that," Craig finally let go of my wrist and pushed past us, disappearing into the dancing crowd.

I waited a few moments before turning to the boy who smiled at me "Thanks John," I smiled at him and he nodded solemnly, "You gonna be okay?" I asked the only friend I seemed to have left in Vegas.

"I'm slipping out the back door. I gotta get out of here before they realize I don't actually work here. Just make sure you get out safe, alright?" He asked and I nodded. John was in my graduating class. It just so happened that he was leaving for New York to become a lawyer in less than twelve hours. He would be safe, "Security is tight on the side door. You're gonna have to leave through the front."

"Thanks," I muttered and we went our separate ways.

I pushed through the crowd before finally seeing the front doors of the club. I smiled and looked around, hoping to not see Craig anywhere. I looked up, seeing him lean over the railing of the second floor. He was looking for me, scanning the crowd for the expensive dress he had purchased for me just a day before. Suddenly, his eyes found mine and he glared. I couldn't hear him yell over the loud music, but I knew he was yelling my name and urging security to catch me. He took off, ready to descend down the stairs after me. I took off through the front door, not caring that my feet were hurting from the heels I was wearing.

It was my only time to escape.


Zack had still yet to see the scars and burn marks on my arm that Craig had placed on me. My biggest fear was having to explain them. I didn't want to tell him about Craig, but I didn't want him to think I did this to myself. I had a reputation to keep. But most importantly, I had a job to keep.

"Vi?" Zack knocked on the door, "You okay?"

"Y-Yeah," I stuttered and I inwardly groaned. I looked around for something to cover up with or change into.

"Open the door," He stated.

"Uh, hang on," I frantically looked for my blazer, suddenly realizing that I left it on the bed, but Zack didn't stop knocking.

"What are you doing? This isn't funny, Vi" He asked as he heard me sifting through my changed clothes to find something to cover up, "If you don't open the door I'm coming in."

And he did. He opened the door and looked at me, an eyebrow raised as he wondered what the hell I could possibly be doing in the bathroom so long, "You look amazing, Violet," He said softly.

"Zack, I don't really want to go," I looked away and his eyes widened.

"What you have to! You're...," He stopped when his eyes noticed something wrong with my exposed skin, taking a step forward, "What's on your arm?" He questioned.

"It's nothing. Listen, I just don't want to go. Is that a crime?" I asked and pushed past him, looking for the blazer I had left on the bed, "Where's that blazer I had?" I questioned.

"Val came in and took it. She knew you'd want to wear it," He explained, "Is that why you wanted it? Vi, what the hell are these?" He asked and grabbed my unclothed arm, pulling it close so he could run his fingertips over the marks. I almost shuddered at the feel of his fingers running over my arm. No one had ever touched my scars before and I didn't have enough time to stop him.

"I had an accident," I lied like it was the easiest thing in the world, "I was in an accident and I've been self-conscious ever since," I stated and he sighed.

"Oh," He put my arm down, "That's why?" He questioned, "That's why you're self-conscious? Why didn't you just tell me?" He asked a small smile on his face, "You don't have to be worried about this."

I shrugged, "I don't like talking about it," I muttered.

"It's going to be fine, Vi. If that's the reason why you didn't want to come, then it's okay. But I promise you look beautiful," He assured and I sighed.

I was then reminded of what a good person Zack was. He didn't pressure me into explaining and he didn't judge. Most of all, he didn't see the scars on my arm. It was a great feeling knowing that Zack only saw me, and not my insecurities. I was reminded that I was truly grateful for Zack. There really was no one else like him in the world. He was one of a kind.

"Thanks, Zack," I smiled up at him.

"Anytime, Violet. Now let's get going. We have a party to get started," He winked and I nodded, hoping with all my might that Craig wouldn't be there.

-

No one questioned the strange marks on my arm. Zack was texting on his phone the entire time we were in the elevator. I figured Zack had probably texted them all ahead of time, warning them to not say a word. That was totally something Zack would do. He's protective like that. Instead, Val cooed over my dress and jokingly stated that I had somehow outdone her. Which wasn't true at all. Val was a blonde bombshell in that red dress, and I could see why Matt wanted to stay by her at all times.

The club was loud and obnoxious. The guys, and Val, were instantly taken away towards the back to sign some autographs for some contest winners. A large deathbat hung on the wall, promoting their new upcoming album.

I felt extremely uncomfortable being back in the place I practically lived in. I had once spent every single night in various clubs along the strip. Now it felt like a wasteland. I had to keep reminding myself why I was here again.

"I guess it's just you and me, Kid. Let's get some drinks," Dan stated and pulled me through the crowd and towards the bar.

Dan ordered me Vodka with pineapple juice while he got himself a drink of darker liquid. We leaned against the bar on the quieter side when he looked over at me, "You know you can tell me anything, right?" He asked suddenly and I looked over at him. My face blank, "Earlier..." He sighed.

"Please don't," I pleaded and he shook his head.

"I've never seen you so hostile. I mean, we've seen you get mean with Zack but that's different. Who was that girl?" He questioned. I had completely forgotten how observant Dan was, but then again that was his job. His eyes always had to be open.

"I used to know her. That's all," I shrugged.

"And this Craig guy who seems to be looking for you?" He questioned.

"Ex-boyfriend," I replied, "We didn't end on good terms."

He nodded, taking a sip of his drink, "I know there's more to it, Violet," He stated and I shrugged, "But if this guy comes around I'll take care of him," He winked and I smiled.

"Calm down, Tiger," I laughed and I could hear him sigh heavily in between a song change. We said nothing else as the club became more packed with people. Pretty soon people were dancing on top of each other, which was quite amusing for Dan and I, "You know you can go have fun. I can take care of myself," I stated.

"No way. Zack's clear orders were to stay by you at all times. I don't like pissing him off," He stated and I rolled my eyes.

"I can handle Zack," I looked at him, "That girl behind you has been eyeing you and glaring at me for the past ten minutes."

He turned around, his eyes catching with a beautiful blonde woman who smiled at him. He turned back to me and sighed, "I won't be long. Just let me get her number," He stated.

I laughed, "Go get 'em, Cowboy," I joked and he walked off.

I turned around and ordered another drink as more people filled the bar area. I flashed him my ID and just as he slid my my drink, an arm wrapped around my shoulder, "It's about time, Zack," I laughed and turned, only to be met with cold blue eyes. I stopped, nearly dropping my drink in the process.

"Zack, huh? Is that your latest victim?" Craig asked, "Zacky Vengeance," He seethed.

"He's my boss," I replied and he smiled, taking the drink out of my hand before taking a sip and setting it back down on the bar.

"Ah, yeah. Samantha told me you've downgraded and were working for some low-life rockstar now," He smiled down at me and I glared. Of course she would go and tell him everything. It wasn't like her to keep her mouth shut, "Heard you even got your own little body guard. That's really cute," He smirked, mocking me and my new life. My changed life.

"You know I'm not the same," I told him and he laughed.

"Violet," He cooed, "You're a young beautiful girl working with a rich rockstar."

"Yeah, and?" I growled.

"You're exactly the same. Stop lying to yourself, Doll, its not good for you," He smiled and I once again tried to pull myself out of his grip. He looked down at me, eyes wandering my body in the familiar dress, "You know I used to love this dress on you. It was the last image you left burned into my mind," He hissed as he pulled me closer so I was flush against his body, "I will never forget what you did to me, Violet. You tainted my face, my image, my reputation in this city. You destroyed me and I had to pick up all the pieces you left behind."

I blinked back tears as I looked up at him, remembering the person I once was. The person who didn't have rules or morals. The person who didn't care who she stepped on.The person who didn't care about anyone but herself.

I promised I was changed.

"I'm going to give you the chance to walk away, Craig," I stated firmly and he smirked.

"Or what? Your little bodyguard over there will run over here? He's too busy dancing with some blonde slut and won't be able to hear you over the music," He seethed, obviously growing more upset as the seconds went on, "Tell me, Violet, do you still model? Is that what you do with Zack when you're not on the clock?"

That set me off. I pulled my arm out of his grip and moved through the crowd towards Dan, only to have him pull me back, "I'm not letting you go that easy, Violet. Two years is a long time, you know," He whispered in my ear, his breath hot on my neck, "Two long years I spent cleaning up your fucking mess."

"Let me go!" I yelled, trying to free myself from his grasp.

Before he could do anything he was pushed against the bar, one hand twisted behind his back. His face was planted against the edge as Dan held him down and I backed away, "Who are you?" He demanded.

"Oh," He laughed, "I'm surprised you haven't heard all about me," He stated sarcastically and I could see Craig's security team starting to approach us.

"Dan, let him go," I stated.

"You don't get to touch her like that and get away with it," Dan stated, ignoring me.

"Dan, please. He's the owner of this place!" I confessed and Dan looked up, seeing the men in black suits coming up to us. He released his grip, stepping back carefully towards me until he was by my side. So he could wrap an arm around me protectively.

Craig stood, straightening his high as he composed myself. He held his hand up, silently telling his team to stand down, "It's nice to see you again, Violet," He smiled, "I missed you". With that he turned around, leaving us as his security went back to their rightful positions around the club.

The moment Craig was out of sight Dan turned to me, eyes full of curiosity and worry, "See what happens when I leave you alone for ten minutes?" He asked and I sighed.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"C'mon, we need to find Zack," He started and I pulled his arm, stopping him. I definitely didn't want Zack to know about this little incident.

"No," I stopped him, "Let's not tell Zack about this. He asks too many questions," I told him and he frowned at me.

"We are not lying to Zack, Vi," He stated firmly, "I have to tell him some guy just tried to make a grab on you," He scolded.

"But if you tell him, he's only going to yell at you. You weren't supposed to leave me, remember?" I asked, "And you don't want to open that can of worms, do you?" I was hoping he'd take the bait and give in to me.

He sighed, "You have a way of manipulating people, you know that?" He laughed and I frowned. Manipulative. I couldn't help it. It was part of my nature. And it was something I thought I had outgrown, "C'mon. Let's get out of here. You really look like you don't want to be here."

And he was right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Second update because the Vegas chapters are so long and I didn't want to wait to post them. More coming soon.

I officially finished this story in drafts today. There will be a sequel, but I won't release the link until this story is closer to being finished. We have a ways to go and I don't want to give anything away yet. This story will have 28 chapters unless I go back and add more, but I think I'm happy with that number.

So if I get a lot of comments I might start updating once a day. I haven't decided yet.
Thank you all for commenting :) I hope you're enjoying the story as much as I am writing it.