Sequel: If Not For You
Status: Being cleaned up--currently on chapter 2

Secrets And Lies

Bruises That Don't Show

Brendon's POV

I've just had the best 32 seconds of my life. Why, you ask? I was kissing Ryan Ross. Yes, that makes up the best 32 seconds of my life. Why, you ask again? Because he's smart, funny, sweet, cute, caring, loving, adorable, lovely, nice-

"Brendon...what are we going to tell people?" Ryan asks me, concerned.

I just brush off his question at first. "Well, if you want to be my boyfriend, we'll tell them we're going out."

"No, no, no, Bren...what are we going to tell the media? The paparatzi? Our parents?" Now I see the unmasked fear in Ryan's eyes, I know he's thinking about when he came out. We were both in high school...

FLASHBACK

I was 17, rocking out to this new band, Fall Out Boy, whose cd was in my stereo. I was waiting for my best friend to call, to tell me how everything went. Tonight was the night he was going to tell his parents he was bisexual. I was nervous enough as it is, so I couldn't imagine what it must have been like for him.

I get a call on my cell phone. I turn off the stereo and look at the caller ID. It read "Ryan <3". I must have been in love with him even then, but I never really paid attention to it. I answered it. "Hello, Brendon Urie dating service, can I help you find a sexy guy tonight?" I was hoping to get a laugh, but instead I got a sob. "Ryan, what happened?" I was scared now, I didn't like it when Ryan cried. He was too pretty to cry, even then.

"B-bren-nd-don..." Ryan tried hard to control his sobs so I could understand what he was saying. "M-my d-da-ad s-sai-id tha-at h-he di-idn-n't h-hav-ve a s-on!" I tried hard to understand what he meant. Then it clicked. His father had disowned him.

"Ry, do you want to stay at my house? You know my mom loves you more than anything. It'll be okay," I reassured him.

END FLASHBACK


He had come to my house covered in bruises, and his dad would find him after school and bring him back to Ry's old house and beat him further. I started hanging out with him all the time, and his father started to take me with him. I came home with black eyes and bruises just like Ryan's, which my mother would care for and she would attempt to get us to tell her who the heck it was that was beating us up, and we just said it was kids at school. It wasn't a very good time, and we finally moved to a different part of town, taking Ryan with us. I know that Ryan won't want to do anything like that ever again.

"Ryan, we just won't tell anybody, outside of my family and Jon and Spencer. You know the other half of our band won't care, you know they want each other anyway. Maybe that'll encourage them," I smirked, because it was true. Spencer was always looking at Jon, checking him out when he thought Jon wasn't looking, and vice-versa. It was rather comical, and Ryan and I loved teasing both of them when one of the two wasn't in the room. Ryan smirked, too.

"Okay, then, if we won't tell too many people, we can't make out in public or anything like that. But I'm alright with that. Beacuse I love you, Bren. And of course I'll be your boyfriend." His smirk turns into that heart-melting smile, and I can't help but return it. I think to myself, At least I won't lie to Ryan anymore. We'll just keep secrets and lie to the press. It all works out.