Dying to Be Happy

Don't Look at Me; I'm Fat

"Hey!" shouted Laura across the swimming pool. I swam over to see her.
"Hey!" I said back. "It's nice to meet you." I smiled shyly. All of Laura's friends crowded around me- including her mother.
"Hey Jade!" said Bethany, one of Laura's friends I had met before.
"Hey :)" I said back. All her friends looked at me like I was a one-legged chicken wearing a hat.
"I like your bathing suit," Laura said.
"Yeah!" all her friends added, "It's so cute!" Suddenly, I felt embarrassed. I sucked in my stomach since they kept looking at me.
"You're Laura's friend from Mississippi! Aren't you?" They seemed nice. I guess they were just trying to get to know me.
"Yeah," I said. I was still sucking in my stomach.
"Which part of Mississippi are you from?" Laura's mom asked.
"Ridgeland," I said. "It's next to Jackson." I smiled back at her, really hoping to make a good impression. "Thanks for inviting me," I said to Laura and her mom.
"Glad you could make it," they said. They smiled.

"Ready for pizza and cake?" Laura's mom said excitingly when we all walked in the door to her house. "Yeah!" Bethany said. "I'm starving, Mrs. Jewel!" Everyone grabbed pieces of pizza. Everyone except me.
"Don't you want some, Jade??" Laura asked looking at my empty plate.
"No thanks!" I said. "I'm really not that hungry." I wasn't lying. I actually wasn't that hungry, and it confused me as to why. But I liked the feeling.
"Are you sure, honey?" Mrs. Jewel asked. "I hate for you to not eat anything."
"I'm okay, really," I said assuringly. "But thanks."

I didn't eat anything that night... To my own surprise, as well as everyone else's, I really did not have an appetite. We stayed up until 3 AM, and crashed right after we turned the movie on. The next thing I knew, Mrs. Jewel was waking me up gently.
"Jade, your Grandpa is here to take you home. I made you some cinnamon rolls if you're hungry." I brushed my hair back and looked at her.
"Oh, thanks," I said. "But I'm not hungry." She looked at me like I had said the craziest thing she'd ever heard.
"Really?" she asked. "You have to be hungry! You didn't eat anything at all last night."
"Really, I'm fine," I said. In all honestly, I still was not hungry. It didn't make sense to me either.

I gave Laura and her mom hugs and thanked them for having me. It really was fun. But I still could not get over the fact that Sarah told me I was fat... AND I wasn't even hungry. What was happening to me?
♠ ♠ ♠
Skinny tasted better than anything...