The Same Unending Ache

one

Where are you Dex?

The truck is almost ready to leave, just waiting for your things.

They couldn’t wait any longer. Dex where are you?

Dex?

Well, I’ made it to Mystic Falls...in case you were wondering.

Haven’t started unpacking yet. Just say something Dex...


+ + +


She looked over the numerous text messages that she had sent since leaving New York. They had all been read but not replied. Dex hadn’t shown up the day he, Avery and Hunter were set to leave New York to Mystic Falls. He hadn’t even called or texted, it was like he dropped off the face of the planet. In some part of her mind she knew that he wasn’t going to show up but didn’t want to admit it. Dex had always been flakey, never really coming through on a lot of things. She claimed that was one of the reasons that she loved him, he was different, reckless, unique, just like her. She found herself dialing those familiar ten numbers, heart beating a little faster as it started to ring.

“I don’t know how or why you have my phone number but since you’re here leave a goddamn message or something. P.S. I love you Avery.” She felt the tears slide down her cheeks. He hadn’t changed his voicemail message yet. She remembered the day he recorded it, the way he stared into her eyes as he said the last part into his cell phone and the events that occurred right after.

“Someone’s outside.”

Avery quickly wiped the tears from her face and put down her phone, pulling her mind out of the desolate state. Hunter was leaning against her shoulder, hugging her softly. She honestly had no idea how long he had been standing there. He stared up at her with the same sad look in his eyes. Everyone he had ever known was gone, he was probably hurting just as much as she was. Avery was his auntie but, the only time they ever really saw each other was on holidays and maybe birthdays. “Damon’s brother is outside. I don’t know his name.”

“Oh okay. I’ll go check.” She said, giving Hunter the cell phone to play with while she was outside. “Don’t go anywhere.”

“Kay,” Hunter replied, jumping onto the bed and making himself comfortable.

Avery made her way to the front door, struggling with the lock on the screen door. “Can I help you with something?” She asked.

“I just wanted to come and bring this by.” He said, looking up at Avery as she came to the edge of the porch. “Parker had asked me to give this to anyone that happened to showed up in Mystic Falls.”

“Oh well thanks.” She breathed out, taking the box from him and sitting down on the porch steps. He watched as she stared at the plain brown box, studying every detail but not opening it.

“Stefan.” He said, trying to get her attention.

“Oh right, thanks again Stefan.” She replied, barely glancing up at him only for her sad gaze to return to the box as she placed it next to her on the porch.

“This is usually the part where you tell me your name in return.”

“Avery. Sorry, my mind is just not here right now.” She joked bleakly, finally taking the time to actually take a good look at Stefan. He was leaning against the porch, with so much pity in his eyes that it made Avery sick.

“Parker was a really good guy. Great neighbor actually.” Stefan said, taking the spot next to Avery on the porch steps. She kept her gaze focused on long driveway leading to the main road. She hated having other people feel sorry for her. What did he know about what she was going through? “We used to sit out here and talk sometimes when Hunter was asleep. Parker had a lot of good stories.”

“Yeah, I guess he did.” Avery mumbled, picking up the box again and figuring out if she wanted to open it with Stefan here.

“If you ever need anything, I don’t live too far away. I was your dad’s closest neighbor.” Stefan said, getting up from the porch and dusting himself off.

“I’ll keep that in mind.” She replied, trying to rip the cardboard box open. Struggling to rip the tape off and open the box.

“Do you need help?”

“I’ve almost go it.” Avery huffed, giving the box one last tug. “Ow!” She whimpered, quickly bringing her index finger to her mouth. The box had cut her finger and was covered in drops of her blood. “See I got it.”

“I–”,

“Stefan, your eyes.”

+ + +


Ares, Avery, Hunter:

Well, in case you haven’t heard. I’m dead, deceased, passed away, etc. I hope my funeral didn’t disappoint. I paid Graham one hundred dollars about twenty years ago to dress as a clown and dance to “Ice Ice Baby” at my funeral.

Onto more serious matters, I didn’t want to ever have any of you read this note. If dying wishes actually work, you are all living far away, doing exciting things, making friends and living life. However, if Stefan has given you this box...I just need you to know this:

Sell the house and do what you want. I want you all to live your lives and do everything imaginable. Life is short...Hell I didn’t even get to half of the things on my bucket list. Ares, Hunter needs you more than you can ever imagine. Get your head out of your ass (I mean that in the most loving way possible). Avery, I’m sure you and Dex will live happily ever after (if not, fuck him). You’ll do whatever makes you happy, you always have. Last but not least, Hunter, work on those math facts boy! Don’t forget what I told you about girls and forget everything that Damon ever told you.

I love you all, don’t forget it. Although, I may be six feet under I will never stop loving you. You’ll always be my babies.

Parker Stone,
Your loving father and grandfather.

P.S. I doubt that any of you will take my advice because you’re all as stubborn as I am. You’ll make your own mistakes. So, if you stay in Mystic Falls at least try to stay away from The Salvatore brothers, Elena Gilbert and her friends. They’re the last thing any of you need. Also, screw the town council and you can tell them I said that.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think?