Status: One-shot

Unexpected

The End.

I sighed from my spot one pavement. It had to be one hundred degrees out here. From my spot on the asphalt field we used for practice, I could here the coach running the football players. Ashley, my best friend, was getting his ass worked. Then again, so were we. I kind of wish I had took our band director’s offer of going into the pit, but they were practicing with no breaks. Changing mallets and playing scales.

“Alright! Drums back up! Horns, break’s over!”

I picked up my quads by their carrier, and strung them over my shoulder. A pain shot through my lower back from the weight, but it soon subsided.

Ashley and I went out to dinner that evening. We went to a local Italian diner and ordered our usuals, lasagna for him and some random pasta for me. I really didn’t care. We made casual chit-chat throughout the course of the meal.

“Andy,” He began, “I like someone, man!” Ashley knew I was gay, and always acted like we were two girls gossiping, so this wasn’t new.

“Oh really?” I asked, mock excitement in my voice. “Who?” My happiness deflated with each word.

“If I told you Andy, I’d have to fuck you to keep you quiet.”

Well then.

“Meanie. I would never!”

“Trust me, babe.” He winked at me, taking a sip of his water.

“Fuck you.” I half-joked.

“Gladly, Batman.” Ever since the day Ashley and I met in seventh grade, he’s felt the need to call me by that silly nickname. Not that I mind, but he smirks when he does it, making fun of Batman. I’m sorry, but if I was Bruce Wayne, I’d throw on the Batsuit and kick his ass, lovingly, when he looks at me like that.

Before I knew it, the week was over and I was seeing Ashley less and less. Of course, I was busy myself, but being with your best friend makes it enjoyable. Like, the after party of our first football game. This was where my great plan would go into action. I was going to kiss him. Play it out that I was drunk if he pushed me away, but go on normally if he didn’t. I was going to get the boy of my dreams: my best friend.

The air was crisp with excitement. It smelled like fried foods, sweat, and just fall in general. The gentle breeze that moved through the air let me know it was my favorite time of year: marching band. I could hear the whistles of the coaches whizzing and wheezing. It made me feel like there was nothing wrong with me. It made me forget the scars, the heartbreak, and the home life. It made everything feel better.

It was after halftime. I had just sat my quads down in the stands and left to use the restroom. The announcers called a timeout for the home team, the Chestfield Tigers. I’m used to hearing these all the time, but for some reason my heart stopped dead. There was no chatter of the crowd, no toot of a horn, no yapping voice of a cheerleader. It was deathly quiet and it chilled me to the bone.

“It seems as if the Chestfield Tigers’ quarterback has been injured to the point where he is unconcious.” The announcer spoke.

Ashley. My best friend.

I’m not sure what happened next. It was, and still is, a blur. All I remember is my band director yelling at me to get on that ambulance and ride to the hospital. I held his hand the whole way there. I remember the guys coming immediately after we arrived. One of them must have brought me clothes, because I didn’t stay the whole time in uniform.

I remember crying. I remember throwing my hands up in frustration and screaming. I remember punching a wall. I remember having a panic attack in the ER waiting room.

I remember the doctors telling me he was sufferering from TBI, or Traumatic Brain Injury, and it had caused him to slip into a coma. That’s all I can remember before waking up in my own bed. I rolled over and heard a crunch of paper underneath me. I groaned, wiping the sleep from my eyes. Thoughts raced back as I read the note.

“Andy,

Jake and I are staying at the hospital. Jinxx and CC said they’re staying with you until you wake up. Man, you were up for well over seventy-two hours. Ashley will be fine.

-Sandra”

“Chuppy?” I croaked, my throat dry from lack of liquids. I shuffled off of the bed and padded out of my room to the downstairs portion of the house. My parents were never home, so it was quite awkward to notice the house being “lived” in by my bandmates.

“Andy! Finally you’re up.” CC said, pouring him a cup of coffee. Before he took a sip, I grabbed it from his hands.

“Thanks, Chups.”

“Asshole.”

“So, how long was I out for?” I asked, yawning and stretching out my stiffened muscles.

“About a day and a half.” Jinxx answered casually, flipping pancakes and tending to the bacon.

“What?” I choked as I took a swig of my coffee. I didn’t think I’d been out that long.

After breakfast was eaten, I took a quick shower. I packed a bag, brushed my teeth, and carefully applied my makeup before pulling on some tight track pants that belonged to one of my friends on colorguard. I threw on a loose Alkaline Trio shirt and ran down the stairs while trying to put on my shoes. I needed to be at the hospital.

Days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, and seasons changed. Before I knew it, it was Christmas time. This time of the year was always his favorite, and it was always my least. He swore his favoritism for this holiday didn’t have anything to do with my birthday being the day after, but somewhere deep inside of me, I knew it was the reason.

This year, I’d be turning seventeen. What a fucking great present, Ashley! Thanks for the hospital cake! I think I’ll blow out the candles, wishing for you to wake the fuck up so you would cuddle me. I

just wish I would have acted out before this.

All I wanted was one small kiss. I didn’t care about anything else. I just wanted Ashley okay.

When Christmas day came around, Ashley’s mom and I stayed in his room watching old Christmas specials. It was her idea, really. I wasn’t paying attention to her, Ashley looked different.

After she left, I crawled next to him. The chair was leaving sore spots on my back, so I retired for the night beside him. His body radiated heat, and it took all I had not to cuddle the older man.

I awoke to Ashley moving on the bed beside me, his hand stroking my hair. I squinted my eyes, checking his face. His expression was confused.

“I hate to interrupt your sleeping, sir.” He said, pushing me to get me up, “But, what happened?”

“You got hurt, Ash. Don’t you remember?”

“No I don’t. Who are you?”

I grinned wickedly to myself. “I’m Andy Biersack, but to you I’m known as ‘Six’, and I’m your boyfriend.”

Happy Birthday to me.

________ After

It’s been six months since the accident. Ashley had his memories come back. Some are still faded, but his amnesia wasn’t long term.

For me? I couldn’t be better. Ashley had found me in my lie about two months into his recovery, and to my surprise actually kissed me.

“Andy?” Ashley called, pulling me out of my dream-state of thinking.

“Yes?” I questioned back.

“You never finished the story of how Batman came to be.”

I smiled to myself. Of all the knowledge he hasn’t regained, it had to be the one I knew the most of. I crawled up beside Ashley on the leather sofa, my head resting on his shoulders, his hand intertwined with mine as I told the story of the Dark Knight.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it sucks. <3

I haven't written an Andley in a long while. Almost a year.