At Least Pretend You Didn't Wanna Get Caught

chapter one

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. A long, drawn out, and obnoxious beeping noise awoke Jack from his sleep. He blindly reached over to shut off his blaring alarm only to hit the side of an empty night table. Confused, Jack pried his tired eyes open. That's when he remembered that he hadn't unpacked his alarm yet. In fact, he hadn't unpacked anything yet, as he had only arrived at his friend, Rian's, apartment a few hours earlier that morning. He had been too exhausted to do anything but crash in the spare bedroom that was now his.

As he lazily sat up in bed, the first few whiffs of an undeniable aroma hit Jack's senses. Suddenly, his drowsy brain was alert and able to piece together what was happening. A fire.

Jack threw his comforter off himself and ran out of the room. His nose led him into Rian's kitchen and his vision was soon fogged by the gray smoke that clogged the air around him. He could only just make out someone standing over the stove, panicking, as they continuously mumbled "shit shit shit" and tried to fan away the increasing flame that flickered in a pan, with a dish towel.

"Stop! You're making it worse," Jack spoke loudly but also calm. It's not like he wasn't used to being in these kinds of situations.

The man's head jerked up in surprise and he stopped fanning the fire as Jack walked around the island. He gently pushed the boy away from the dangerous heat. "Stand back," Jack continued as he found a pot covering and quickly slammed it over the flame and watched the bright orange disappear.

Jack looked back over to the guy standing near the refrigerator. His eyes were wide and he seemed to be a bit shaken from almost catching the apartment on fire. "Can you go open the windows?" Jack asked with a nod of his head towards the row of windows that lined the kitchen and dining room walls.

The other boy scurried to the windows and hastily opened them. Allowing almost immediate relief, as the smoke filed out into the surrounding atmosphere and fresh air started to circulate the room again.

He walked the pan to the sink and let the tap clear out the blackened ash that clung to the bottom.

"Are you alright?," Jack asked as he shut off the water and turned to lean up against the counter. The boy who was now cleaning up the mess he had made, looked up from his task.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Embarrassed, but fine. Thank you for helping me, I freaked out and didn't really know what to do."

Jack nodded. "It happens."

An uncomfortable silence followed that and Jack was really wondering who this kid, that almost set his new home on fire, was.

"So," Jack started, "Rian didn't tell me that he had another roommate,"

"Oh! I'm not Rian's roommate, I actually don't even live here. Although, I'm over here so much it kinda feels like I do. Um, hi, I'm Alex," said boy stuck out his hand. "I'm Rian's boyfriend."

"Jack,"

"Well Jack, I was actually making this breakfast for you. Rian told me before he went to work, that you had gotten here earlier and I was trying to be hospitable and shit," Jack chuckled at this Alex character. He seemed nice enough. "I guess it would have been more effective if I knew how to cook." Alex finished with a shrug.

"No, no. I liked the whole "Welcome to your new home, now try to get out alive" thing. It was very Jigsaw of you," Jack replied with a chuckle.

Alex let out a hearty laugh and covered his face with both hands.

"Oh my god! I am so sorry! I promise I'm not a psychopath, just an average idiot," Alex ran his hands through his soft hair, trying to flatten down the frazzled mess.

"Nah man, don't even worry about it," Jack couldn't keep the grin off his face even if he tried. He found this whole thing hilarious.

"Okay, well I have to get to work now, but Rian has like, cereal and pop-tarts if you're hungry," Alex stated as he walked over to the kitchen table and started sliding into a jacket that was hung over one of the chairs.

"Did Ri say when he'd be getting off? I miss that Kid,"

"Um, he usually gets back here around 7, but he suggested that us three go out to dinner tonight, if that's cool with you," He spoke as he was trying to remember everything Rian asked him to tell Jack, this morning.

"Yeah, that's cool, where?"

"A place called Jonquille. He told me that you would know where that was, but if you don't, I can swing by here and pick you up when I get off work," Alex offered. He hooked his work messenger bag across his shoulder, adjusting the strap.

"Yeah, I know where that is, no problem."

"Alright, well again, I'm sorry about that," Alex gestured to the scene of the accident, before he slid his phone into his back pocket and picked up his keys and thermos.

"It's the thought that counts."

Alex just shook his head at himself and started walking towards the front door. "Yeah, yeah. I'll see you later."

Jack turned to watch him leave, replying back, "Later," as Alex waved before he closed the door behind him.

Jack looked around the apartment, taking in all of Rian's belongings and deciding that he liked all the personal touches his long time friend had used to decorate his home with. Picture frames, candles, a couch throw. There was even a damn vase of flowers beside the coffee maker.

As Jack poured himself a cup, he guessed Alex had brewed it, he noticed a little white card in the flowers. He picked it up to read it and when he saw what it was, Jack couldn't help but roll his eyes and snort at his friends cheesiness. The flowers had been sent to Alex from Rian a couple of days ago, with some cute little quote and an 'I love you' attached.

'They probably weren't even celebrating anything,' Jack thought to himself. 'Rian would be that type of boyfriend.'

He placed the card back into the flowers and and took a sip of his coffee. Smiling at the fact that at least Alex can make a decent pot of coffee without setting whole apartment buildings ablaze.

Jack realized that the stupid smile was still on his face, when he stared down at a newspaper page that had been left on the counter. His face quickly dropped and he scowled at himself. Not feeling particularly happy about being awake anymore, Jack dumped his remaining coffee in the sink and went back into his new room for a few more hours of sleep.

---

When Jack walked into Jonquille later that night, the thick smell of fine cuisine overcame him. It was rather busy for a Thursday night, but the noise volume was still low and the lighting was still dim, as to be expected of a high end restaurant like this one.

He stopped at the host stand and the women behind the desk looked up at him and smiled. "Well, if it isn't Jack Barakat. What are you doing here tonight, I thought you didn't start until tomorrow?" The girl whose name tag read 'Cheyenne' asked.

"Hey Chey. I do actually but I'm meeting some people here for dinner tonight," Jack said before he reached over and gave her a hug.

"Aw, it's good to have you back in town,"

"It's good to be back,"

"What's the name of your party?," She asked as she looked down at her seating chart.

"Probably Dawson," Jack guessed.

"Yep, right this way," Cheyenne lead Jack through the restaurant. An orchestrated band of live strings played softly in a designated corner of the room and waiters in white uniforms and giant trays of food maneuvered their way through tables.

When they got closer, Jack spotted Rian and Alex already seated with a red wine bottle chilling in an ice bucket right next to them. They were sitting on the same side of the table leaving the opposite side, for himself, open. They had their heads leant close as they talked to each other and their hands were laced together on top of the white table cloth. They looked so in love that Jack considered leaving, so that the happy couple could enjoy a dinner to themselves.

His plan was ruined though, because as they approached, Rian's head shot up and noticed Jack's presence. A smile broke out across his face and he stood up to walk around the table where Jack was standing, giving him a big bear hug. Jack hugged back, truly missing his best and oldest friend.

When they pulled apart Cheyenne spoke, "Hey, say bye before you leave?"

"Of course," Jack nodded as she walked back to her hostess desk.

"How ya' been, Buddy?," Rian asked as he did some manly shoulder punch thing to Jack's arm before he returned to his seat next Alex, Jack following suit across from them.

"Pretty good, man. I can't thank you enough for letting me rent out your room. Finding my own place and having to buy my own new shit would have been such a pain in the ass," Jack joked.

"What the fuck ever, dude. What are best friends for?" Rian countered. They both laughed before Jack looked over and smiled at Alex.

"Hello, Alex," he greeted.

"Hey, Jack," Alex replied then took a drink from his wine glass. When he set the glass back down and saw that Jack was still cheekily smiling at him, he spoke again. "You can stop looking at me like that, I already told Rian about what happened."

At this point neither Jack nor Rian could hold in their laughter anymore and they soon became the loudest table in the restaurant.

---

"Alright, keep laughing it up, Assholes," Alex said as he sat back in his seat and crossed his arms. It was obvious that the pout on his lips was fake and that he wasn't actually upset about being made fun of by his boyfriend and his friend.

It was a little later into the night. The three had already finished eating and the bottle of wine was almost gone. They hadn't laughed at Alex the entire night, but it was a topic that they just couldn't stop going back to.

It was actually a really great night, Jack had thought, and he's glad that he hadn't gone through with his original plan of ditching the couple. Him and Alex got to know a little more about each other while also reacquainting with Rian. All in all, he was having fun.

"I'm sorry, babe," Rian soothed, although still chuckling, as he draped his arm over the back of Alex's seat. "It wouldn't be as funny if you had done it in front of anyone besides Jack."

Alex furrowed his eyebrows. "Why does that make it funny? Is Jack a good cook or something?"

Jack just brought his wine glass up to his lips in an attempt to conceal a smirk.

"Well, the fact that he's the new Sous Chef here, might give him some credibility." Rian explained.

Jack then saw Alex's face flush slightly in a whole new round of embarrassment.

"Your a Chef? Here at Jonquille?" Alex asked in disbelief.

"Not officially until tomorrow," Jack shrugged.

Then Alex gasped, "So, not only did I set breakfast on fire in front of an actual Chef, but I then told him to eat a pop-tart."

"Hey, I happen to like pop-tarts!," Jack defended.

Alex just shook his head before he threw back the rest of his wine.

"Yeah, Alex isn't the best cook," Rian stated. "He tried to make us some spaghetti for dinner one night, and ended up seasoning it with cinnamon rather than rosemary. I don't think I've had pasta since."

"In my defense, not all the shakers in your spice cabinet are even labelled." Alex protests. Jack just sat back and watched the couple playfully banter together.

"That may be true, but both the cinnamon and the rosemary are. Plus they have distinct smells, Alex."

"Whatever, cooking can be hard for some people,"

"You know, you should have Jack teach you how to make some stuff. He's taught me a few things in the kitchen and he's great at it,' Rian suggested. Alex looked about ready to protest, when Jack spoke up.

"I wouldn't mind to. If it keeps me from being woken up by smoke detectors, then I'm all for it."

"Well, maybe sometime then," Alex casually agreed. He didn't really think Jack was completely serious, but if down the line he ever offered, Alex wouldn't say 'no'.

---

When they were all walking out to the parking lot, to get into their separate cars, Rian spoke. "Hey Jack, I'm just gonna walk Alex to his car then you can follow me back to our place."

"Alright, night Alex,"

"Goodnight, Jack," They waved at each other before heading to their cars.

When Jack got in his car, he started the engine and cranked the heat up. He could still see Alex holding Rian's hand as he led him to a light blue Camry. They stopped at the driver side door and Rian leaned Alex against the car a bit. Jack could see them talking softly to each other, foreheads touching, and then laugh.

This made Jack smile because he could see how happy Alex made his best friend and Rian deserved someone like that. Plus, Alex was a really cool and funny person to be around. So, Jack approved.

It wasn't until Rian had started to apply gentle kisses to Alex's lips, that he looked away. He wasn't really one to impose on intimate moments like that.

Jack turned his radio on trying to find something to listen to, and he saw a few lights flash by in his peripheral vision.

When he noticed Rian drive by him, he put his car into gear and started following him back to their place.

---

Jack trailed Rian into the apartment when they made their way back around eleven that night. Rian dropped his keys into the black ceramic bowl he had near the door and flipped on the lights, illuminating the rooms.

"Welcome to your new home!" Rian announced as he outstretched his arms, facing Jack.

"Ri, you do know that I've been here basically all day, right?" Jack took off his leather jacket and hung it on one of the coat hooks the mounted the wall in the hallway.

"Yeah but it's the first time we're both here as new roomies," Rian pointed out. "Here lemme give you a tour of the place and show you where everything is."

Rian showed Jack all around the apartment. He showed him where he kept his laundry supplies and dishes and bathroom towels. Luckily there were two bathrooms. One in the master bedroom that Rian had claimed and one right across the hall from Jack's room. His new room was decent sized and the bed Rian kept in there was ridiculously comfy, so he can't complain.

Rian explained where he could pick up his mail and what night the trash needed to go out. Just necessary things that Jack would eventually need to know while living there.

"Oh, and here is your key to the place." He handed over a ring with a single silver key on it, which Jack started to loop on with the rest of the keys that hung off his lanyard.

"And just so you know, Alex also has a key, so please refrain from being naked in my living room at any given time," Rian playfully warned.

Jack had to laugh because Rian has walked in on him casually watching T.V. in the nude, quite a few times over the coarse of their friendship. "I will save the stripping down for when I get to my room."

"That's all I'm asking for."

"So, Alex has a key, huh? That seems pretty serious, Mr. Dawson," Jack inquired.

"Well, we've been together for awhile now, you know, and he spends the night here all the time, so I just figured it'd be easier if he had a key," Rian's cheeks reddened while he tried to explain.

"You don't have to justify anything to me, dude. I like Alex and you two seem happy so, calm the fuck down."

"Yeah, he's great! And I think you two are gonna be fast friends," Rian assured him. "I mean how could you not? Everybody loves Alex."

Unfortunately at the time, Jack didn't know just how true that statement was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fun fact: Jonquille means daffodil in french! Cute right?

Well hello! This is my first fic and not gonna lie, I've been trying to build up the courage to post this first chapter since like the beginning of summer jfc. Then today I was like fuck it, so here it is lol

Thanks for reading! Comment I guess?????