Status: Most likely a 3-shot.

Las Vegas Cinderella

Dancing on the Tables.

You’re in good company tonight, Biz,” Claude clapped my back.

“Yeah, a kickass defenseman and a cover boy,” I smirked at him, making him shove my shoulder.

“You wish you were a cover boy,” he said. “Are we going to that club again?”

I thought about the shoe sitting on the bed of my hotel room. “Yeah,” I nodded. “I just have to make a quick stop.”

Well the fact that I’m still breathing means that I must have survived.

By eleven thirty, we were being led past the velvet ropes at The Ruby. My eyes scanned the crowd, looking for the semi familiar brunette. The dance floor and bar were so packed though that it was impossible to distinguish between people.

“What’s on your mind, Paul?” Erik asked over the din. “You look worried.”

“Just… looking for someone,” I shrugged. “I’m headed to the bar. I’ll be back.”

I wasn’t far past the VIP lounge when I heard an actual voice over the pounding of the bass.

“Hey, Big Nose!”

At first, I kept walking, unsure of whether it was directed to me or not. But, when I heard it again, I stopped and felt an arm pulling me in one direction.

“Come on, Sniffer,” it was the waitress from that afternoon, the ‘Fairy Godmother’. “I didn’t think you would actually show up.”

“I told you I would,” I stiffened. “Is she here?”

She looked around and behind my shoulder. “Somewhere. I lost track of her when she went to say some goodbyes.”

“That’s a lot of help,” I sighed.

“Hey! Be glad I got her to come out,” she crossed her arms. “She was so worried about her damn shoes.”

“It’s back at the table, I swear,” I assured her. “Under my jacket. If you help me find her, I can give it back to her and-,”

“Don’t be that guy that thanks a girl for having sex,” she said. “That’s not cool. Just be nice and give her the god damn shoe back so that she can go to LA and be happy, yeah?”

“LA,” I said quietly. “Yeah, okay. Do you know which way she went?”

She pointed towards the far end of the bar, nestled into a small corner. “But listen, she says she wants to be out of here by midnight. You’ve got less than a half hour.”


*~*~*~*~*~*

There were people doing body shots up on the bar.

I laughed as a few patrons got rowdy at the bar with tequila and salt, thinking that a few years and two jobs ago that would have been me.

I’d gotten separated from Natalie a little while ago, but I wasn’t too concerned. I knew this place like the back of my hand and would meet her in the back at twelve. I’d had a while to say goodbye and now I just wanted my bed. LA was now just days away and when I got there, I wouldn’t get much rest.

I took my cranberry and vodka tumbler into the corner and settled onto the leather bench with my head against the wall. It was hard being on the other side for a night. I was so used to being on my feet at the club that being given the chance to ‘rest’ just made me more tired.

The shoes Natalie had loaned me were almost as nice as the ones I’d worn the night before; one of which I left… somewhere. I still wasn't believing that I’d left it in that hotel room. These ones were a little tighter in the toes and a little big in the back, giving me blisters.

I slipped them off just a little and instantly felt some of the pain go away. I closed my eyes and blocked out the noise of the club, something I’d become very adept at over the course of my time at The Ruby.

Oh, we went out last night, one thing started leading to another.

“I think I’ve found my Cinderella,” a deep voice boomed.

My eyes popped open and I saw the last person I expected to see. And he was carrying my shoe.

*~*~*~*~*~*

I’d seen her sitting in the corner with her drink, looking tired and I knew I was low on time without looking at my watch. I fixed my collar and gave the shoe in my hand a little toss.

Her eyes nearly fell out of her head when I first started talking. But pretty soon, she had a snappy comeback. By the time I was sitting down next to her, she was talking.

“Careful,” she warned. “I turn back into a pumpkin at midnight.”

“I’ll be quick,” I smiled. I held the shoe out in front on me. “I met a girl last night. She… We spent the night together and by the time I woke up… she was gone. The only thing left was this shoe.” I knelt down next to her already bare feet. “And just maybe, they fit you.”


*~*~*~*~*~*

Paul picked up my left foot and I said a silent prayer that my feet weren’t sweaty. He placed my familiar ruby shoe on and then sat back up.

“A perfect fit,” he smiled.

“Thank you,” I said, genuinely happy to have my shoe back. “And I’m not even an orange food yet.”

“I’m sure orange looks great on you,” Paul smiled. “Midnight’s getting close. You sure you have to leave?”

I looked up at him. “You know, I think my fairy god mother’s just given me some extra time.”

They were dancing on the tables and howling at the moon.
♠ ♠ ♠
Look out for the ending/epilogue by the end of the weekend. Excited for you guys to read it! Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

Val