Status: Most likely a 3-shot.

Las Vegas Cinderella

One Thing Started Leading To Another.

I stifled a yawn, letting my head drop to his shoulder. It was late- London time. I’d made the last minute decision to jet across the pond to spend time with Paul in Wales and together, we’d decided to spend the weekend in London.

“I’m glad you made it out here,” he said.

The night was quiet and with the snow falling around us, it felt like something out of a storybook. Christmas lights and wreaths were hung around and it looked like a snow globe- all shook up.

“Me too,” I smiled up at him and Paul placed a quick kiss on my lips.

He’d stuck around Vegas that past summer for an extra week, then following me to LA to ‘train’. Really, he lounged around my new apartment, ate my food, and we would run together in the mornings. But I realized, that since I hadn’t yelled at him to get lost, I genuinely liked.

Of course, the sex was good. Really good.

But then, he left for Canada, actually needing to work in the off season on his training and I resumed my lonely lifestyle. We kept in touch, not labeling us as anything, and as fall got close to winter, he invited me out to Phoenix.

A lockout was looming on the horizon and Paul wasn’t sure what he would do if the league did indeed cancel a portion of the season. European clubs were an option, as were staying stateside and training informally.

He chose the former.

I didn’t blame him. No one knew how long we would be without hockey and I was grateful to spend the few days with him in Scottsdale before he left for England. It was a nice surprise at the airport to see a sign asking me out officially. (I still had it in my closet in LA.)

And similarly, when I landed in Europe four days ago, Paul held another sign at the airport, big nose and smile showing.

‘Hey Cinderella, remember the night you lost your shoe?’

Out last night, everybody started loving on each other.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Val’s eyes were closed and her hands were intertwined with mine. She wasn’t asleep, but she had to be getting tired. Her flight was leaving before sunrise and it wouldn’t be long until I was driving her to Heathrow.

“You know something?” I thought aloud.

“What?” she asked, sitting up.

“I don’t know your full name.”

She toyed with the necklace I’d given her for Christmas around her neck. “Sure you do. It’s Val-,”

“Val Clementine Lombardi,” I finished for her and smirked at her middle name. “But what’s Val?”

“My parents are so weird,” she sighed. “You’d think that being a fancy-shmancy family, they’d pick normal names.”

“What is it,” I prodded her side and she wiggled away.

“Valentine.”

“So you’re saying,” I couldn’t keep the laugh out of my voice. “That on February 14th, I could ask you, Valentine Clementine Lombardi, to be my valentine?”

“If you want to be cheesy and ridiculous, yes,” Val rolled her eyes.

“I like it,” I assured her. “It’s cute.”

“Cute my ass,” she groaned.

“I like your ass too,” I patted playfully.

Everybody was some kind of star when we went out last night.

It had taken me a while to get me to tell her what her real name was. For that night at the club, in Vegas, she had still been Garnet. I didn’t know that she was really Val until the next day when I woke up on her couch- in my clothes.

“You know what I hate,” she started and I realized how many of our conversations started with random declarations. “Long distance.”

I gulped. That didn’t sound good.

“All I want,” Val continued. “Is to wake up next to you every day, god dammit.”

I breathed a sigh of relief. “But you turn into a pumpkin at midnight. I don’t want my sheets smelling like produce.” Unless it’s the strawberry shampoo she uses and the vanilla perfume she wears.

“Oh har har,” she rolled her eyes. “I’m being serious. I hate only getting Skype calls and texts and tweets.”

“Don’t forget the snapchats,” I teased, wiggling my eyebrows.

“How could I forget,” Val shook her head. She sighed and leaned her head on my shoulder again. “I just… miss you, as pathetic as that sounds.”

There’s something very ego boosting, hearing your girlfriend tell you that they need you. “So stay here. Quit work and stay with me.”

“You know I can’t do that, though,” she said. “I’d go crazy.”

I sighed in defeat, knowing she was right. Val didn’t do well with being unoccupied. “What are we gonna do?”


*~*~*~*~*~*

“Suck it up?” I offered. “Stay strong? Trust each other?”

I missed Paul more than anything and seeing him sporadically made me want to be with 24/7 that much more. There were nights I’d wake up thinking his arm was around me only to find that I was just tangled in my sheets.

“The lockout can’t go on forever,” he reminded me. “And at the end of the hockey season here, or if the season starts, I’ll be back and close to you.”

“It’ll be nice being in the same time zone,” I consented. “Hell, the same landmass will be great.”

He laughed and checked his watch. “Time to get Cinderella on her carriage back to the village.”

“Quick,” I joked. “Before my gown is in rags!”

He helped me into his rental and we wound our way through the London streets to the still bustling Heathrow. Paul unloaded my luggage and we stood at the door to the airport, hugging.

“Next time,” I looked up at him. “I’ll be the one with the sign.”

We went out last night…
♠ ♠ ♠
Fin.

Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!

Val