Status: On-Going

Lady of Nyv

Murk

Ona awoke with Kol lying behind her, his arms wrapped around her midsection, pulling her against his chest. Despite the warmth of his touch, she gently pulled away from his sleeping form. She didn’t want her men to see she and Kol in such a compromising situation. They were only days from the Southern border; they could not have any doubt that Ona was devoted to this mission and her Kingdom.

She pulled herself onto her knees, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. She patted her body instinctively, making sure all of her weapons were in place. She glanced around the cave, counting each of the sleeping mounds on the cave floor. Twenty-seven men. Twenty-eight if she included herself. All were accounted for.

Ona stood and walked over to the frozen waterfall. She peered outside their carefully-hidden cave. The snow fell in large chunks, preventing Ona from seeing anything. She groaned. The storm’s sudden appearance had put she and her men behind schedule. If they did not reach the South by their appointed date, Raf and the other Northern kinsmen would assume them dead.

She sat against the cave wall once again. Her head fell into her hands and her mind searched for a way for she and her men to continue on their journey to the South. T’was far too perilous to walk through the storm, she knew, but there had to be another way!

Suddenly, Ona heard the sound of snow crunching. She reached for her dagger and positioned herself beside the cave entrance. Whoever sought refuge in their cave would never see the light of day again.

A man’s head emerged through the opening. Just as she was about to strike, the man spoke:

“Dearest sister, I should have known you would try to kill me someday.”

Ona exhaled. Dom.

“How can you make such jests? I nearly killed you!”

Dom chuckled. “T’was only a matter of time.”

“How did you survive the storm?”

“I found a friend who took me in.” Dom said, gesturing to the cave entrance.

At first, Ona thought her brother had gone mad in the storm. After a few moments of Dom gesturing and Ona pondering his sanity, a small figure emerged from the thick cascade of snow.

“Ona, this is my friend, Murk.” Dom said, placing his hand on the small being’s shoulder.

“Pleasure to meet your acquaintance, M’Lady.” Murk mumbled, bowing roughly.

“Indeed.” Ona replied coldly.

Her thoughts swirled with nasty insults she had prepared to throw at Dom, should he return, but she could not bear to utter a single one. She was glad her brother was safe.

“Murk is a mountain troll.” Dom explained. “He welcomed me into his home last night, and has promised to keep us moving today.”

“What is it you mean?” Ona asked, surprised.

“Awaken your men. I wish to only say this once.” Murk muttered gruffly.

One by one, Ona kicked each man softly in the side. She wanted to know desperately what Murk the troll had to say.

The men awoke, startled and a tad angry. They stretched and rubbed their eyes nearly in unison. Ona repressed a smile.

“Who is that?” Nix exclaimed, gesturing toward Murk.

“This is Murk. He is a mountain troll.” Dom replied, slightly annoyed.

“Nice to see you survived the night, Dom.” Kol said with a chuckle.

“Nice to see my sister still keeps you around like a pathetic pet.” Dom shot back.

Ona placed her hand on Kol’s chest to keep him from firing back. She did not need the two of them constantly at each other’s throats. T’was hard enough to keep twenty-nine men alive and well without them attempting to kill one-another.

“Enough.” Ona said calmly. “Let us listen to what Murk has to say.”

Murk nodded politely before beginning.

“My name is Murk. I have lived in the mountains for many generations. I have encountered more monsters than you could possibly think of; and I have watched many men die.”

Murk lowered his head, showing respect for the deceased.

“The cave in which you have chosen is not truly a cave. It is a tunnel.”

Ona watched as the men’s eyes widened. Some glanced into the darkness which they had feared last night. Now, it was their only way out.

“The tunnel leads to the Southern side of the mountain, and it is very easy to get through. However, there is a monster which inhabits this tunnel. I ask that when you encounter it, you spare its life. It has lived for many more generations than you have, and it has killed many men. However, if you do not pose a threat to it, it will not pose a threat to you.”

“How do we evade this monster?” Ona asked.

“Be very quiet. The monster sleeps nearly all of the time. If you do not disturb it, it will never know you were there.” Murk replied with a smile.

“And what would happen if we did wake it up?” Cas asked tentatively.

“You shall have to run for your pathetic lives!” Murk exclaimed, roaring with maniacal laughter.

Whilst Murk struggled to contain his laughter, Ona took charge of her men.

“Gather all of the timber and the bags. We shall enter this tunnel immediately!” She bellowed.

“Are you sure this is a good idea? Murk does not seem as though he is fully functioning, if you know what I mean.” Kol whispered.

“We must go. It is our only chance.” Ona replied.

The men hurriedly grabbed what remained of their supplies and gathered around the narrowed part of the cave that led into the darkness.

“I need a torch!” Ona called as she pushed her way to the front of the pack.

A torch was quickly placed into her hands.

“Murk, will you be joining us?” Ona asked.

“Alas, I will not. Just walk straight. You shall reach the South eventually.”

With those words, Murk departed. Ona breathed deeply. She held the torch out in front of her and took one step.

“For the North.” She stated firmly as she entered the darkness.

“For the North.” The men echoed somberly, following her lead.