Status: On-Going

Lady of Nyv

Familial Values

Ona stood stiffly on the hilltop. Her eyes were slightly foggy, her head had a permanent ache and her leg was wracked with searing pain; but she was alive. She watched as her men ran to her, stopping a few paces before her body so that they would not hurt her. She counted each of their faces, realizing that she was missing two.

“Where are Nix and Kol?” She asked, worry thick in her voice.

“M’Lady,” Qua began hesitantly, “There’s something we must discuss in private.”

Ona looked into Qua’s eyes. She could see the pain and severity in his expression, it worried her deeply. Wordlessly, she allowed Qua to help her down the slight slope and into a shallow valley that lay between them and the mountains from which they had emerged.

“Please tell me they are alive.” She said in a tone so quiet Qua could barely hear her.

“Kol is fine. Nix, however, has met an unfortunate, untimely death.”

Ona cursed under her breath.

“How much have I missed?” She asked.

Qua explained what had happened to her, as well as all of the events that had passed whilst she was incapacitated.

Ona’s bottom lip quivered, threatening to expose her true emotions, as she listened intently to everything Qua was saying to her.

“As you can imagine, we have no idea what to do in this situation.” Qua finished.

“What makes you think I have this knowledge?”

“I do not expect you to make this decision immediately, Ona, but keep in mind that he threatened your life twice and killed one of your men. Be wise.”

“Nix was one of his men, as well.”

“He cannot be trusted.”

Ona sighed deeply, feeling the pounding in her head increase dramatically. Without another word, she limped over to her men, stumbling a few times as she tried to climb up the slight incline.

One of her men came forward to aid her and she raised her hand, gesturing for him to stop. She did not need to rely on anyone. It was clear that she could no longer trust those close to her, anyway.

“I have come to a decision regarding the traitor amongst us.” Ona announced, narrowing her eyes at Kol.

“I have decided,” She continued, “To keep him alive, but he will be kept away from me, and he will be guarded heavily at night. Is that understood?”

The men nodded.

“Thank-you for your mercy, M’Lady.” Kol said, kneeling before her.

Ona glared down at Kol.

“We cannot afford to lose anymore men.” She spat, allowing the venom in her voice to sting him.

Ona did not allow herself to indulge in the pain she knew her last comment had caused Kol. Instead, she turned her back swiftly and began searching the surrounding area for a large stick.

She could hear her men muttering amongst themselves, clearly trying to decide what they should be doing. She turned back toward them, feeling her leg pulse with every movement.

“Pack up, men! We move out immediately.” She called to them.

Dom ran over to Ona.

“Are you sure that is a wise decision, sister? You’re not well.”

“I do not wish to hear your opinions on my health today, brother.” She responded coldly.

Ona was surprised when Dom retreated and left her at peace as she had requested. She had thought that he would have insisted on her being more cautious. Regardless of the other possible outcomes, Ona was very glad that Dom had let her be. She needed to think, and to do that, she needed to be alone.

She returned to her search for a large stick. She scanned the ground, moving anything that could be in her line of view.

After a few more moments of searching, Ona finally found an ideal stick. She measured it to her body, and found that it was nearly the perfect length. She placed it in her hand, leaning on it to be sure it was strong enough to support her weight. The stick did not snap, and Ona continued to use it as a cane to aid her in moving with her injured leg.

She returned to her camp and found that Dom had already packed her things back into her bag. She reached inside and retrieved her best dagger, still crusted with dried blood from when Kol and Dom had removed the arrow from her leg. She placed it into her waistband and slung her bag over her shoulder. She was ready.

Before they departed, the men lit a larger fire and placed Nix’s body over top. T’wasn’t the ideal Northern burial – Ona and her men knew that. However, their familial values were higher than their traditional values, and they knew that it would be disrespectful to leave Nix’s body laying on the hillside.

Ona watched as Kol’s men wept for their lost brother, and she said a silent prayer for Nix’s spirit. She hoped that he would be at peace, despite his untimely death.