Status: On-Going

Lady of Nyv

Southern Belle

Ona awoke just as the Sun began to trickle through the windowpane. She yawned, rubbing her eyes, trying to remember where she was. As she opened her eyes, she remembered that she was staying at an inn in the South. She smiled to herself. They had made it.

Her eyes circulated the room. Her smile disappeared when she saw Kol in the corner of her room. He had not moved from the chair where she had directed him to sleep, but he looked miserable, even though he was unconscious.

She moved to the edge of the bed, the frame creaking beneath her. As she placed her feet tentatively on the ground, she reached for her cane to prop herself up.

“Arise.” She said loudly.

Kol jumped at the sound of her voice.

“Are we leaving?” He asked, half asleep.

“We are going to eat, then yes, we will depart.”

Kol jumped to his feet immediately, opening the door for Ona. She motioned for him to go first, instead. She did not trust his presence behind her.

As they walked down the steps, Ona could feel her cane straining against her grip. Suddenly, she heard a loud snap and she was hurdling down the stairs.

Before she could hit the floor, someone caught her and held her to their chest protectively. As she looked up, she saw Kol’s bright red eyes staring at her with concern.

“Forgive me, M’Lady.” He said, releasing her.

“You saved me.”

“I merely stopped you from hitting the ground. T’wasn’t a great feat.”

Qua and Dom approached then.

“No, Lady Ona is correct. You have saved her.” Qua stated.

“Yes, thank you.” Ona managed, nodding courteously at Kol.

“It was my pleasure, M’Lady.” He replied with a slight bow.

Ona leaned close to Kol’s ear.

“This changes nothing.” She spat through gritted teeth.

Ona continued down the stairs, bracing herself on the wall as she walked toward the dining area. She saw Nikola had already begun serving food to her remaining men, who were seated in a disorderly fashion around a cluster of tables.

“M’Lady, are you in need of a new cane? I heard of your fall.” Nikola called over.

“I will be fine, thank you. I will find my own after I dine.” She replied hastily, landing harshly in a chair.

“Really, it’s no problem. My daughter can fetch you one in a matter of moments.”

“It’s nothing, I can do it myself.”

Just then, a small girl -thin as can be, but prettier than the flowers which adorned her hair – appeared in the doorway holding a beautifully crafted cane.

She walked forward hesitantly and bowed in front of Ona, her bright blonde hair hung in streams from the crown of her head, hiding her face from view as she offered the cane to Ona.

Ona took the cane, never breaking her gaze with Nikola as she did so.

“What is the meaning of this gift?” She asked suspiciously.

“I have a favour to ask of you.” Nikola replied sheepishly.

“What is it?” Ona demanded, eyes narrowing.

“My wife and I have always dreamed of a better life for our daughter. She is fifteen years now, and we wish for you to bring her to the Capital with you. She can work in the castle. We want her to experience a better life than we can offer her here.”

Ona glanced back at the girl who was still bowing in front of her.

“You wish for me, a complete stranger, to take your daughter to the Southern capital with myself and a dozen and a half Northern men?”

“Yes. I have trusted you from the moment I set eyes on you. I know she will be in good hands.”

Ona glanced toward Qua, who just shrugged in her direction. She sighed.

“Can she provide us with supplies, such as a map of the lands and food?”

“Yes.”

“Then she may join us, but I cannot promise her safety.”

“So be it.”

“What is your name, child?”

The girl stood tall now, addressing Ona formally. She had big, bright blue eyes - the kind that they had in the North. Her hair flowed down her back in rivers of gold, and her skin was delicately sun kissed.

“My name is Maevyn, M’Lady.”