Status: On-Going

Lady of Nyv

Departure

Ona stared at the newcomer, fascination and distrust plagued her mind. She knew that t’was her duty to keep Maevyn safe from harm, but she did not trust her or her father. She was not sure why Nikola had been so willing to send his daughter to the city. Not even Ona knew what they would find when – or if – they arrived at the Capital.

“Mae, fetch the map of our kingdom for Lady Ona and her men.” Nikola said warmly.

Ona registered that his tone was sickly sweet, like when Dom had irritated her as a child and tried to coax her into forgiveness with his slick tongue.

Maevyn nodded quickly at her father and disappeared around the corner, where Ona supposed another room lay.

“When will you be leaving, M’Lady?” Nikola asked, his eyes studying her face.

“Once we have properly studied the map and developed a safe route to take to the Capital, we shall depart.”

“And you will take my daughter?”

“Yes.”

“She will be safe?”

“I can promise you nothing.”

Nikola nodded solemnly.

Not long after Ona had finished her conversation with Nikola, Maevyn returned with the map she had needed.

The map was laid out over one of the tables in the inn, and Ona, Qua, Dom and Maevyn gathered around it.

“Which is the fastest route?” Qua asked Maevyn.

She traced a line down the center of the map, illustrating the fastest route for Qua.

“Brooks is straight north from the Capital,” She explained “It’s basically a straight path to get there.”

“This will not do.” Ona grumbled.

“What is the matter, sister?” Dom asked.

“We cannot go marching through villages like common Northerners. We must blend in to the landscape and conceal ourselves from harm.”

“I can assure you that no Southerner intends to harm you-“ Maevyn interjected.

“I do not need the reassurance of a little girl.” Ona snarled.

Ona traced her finger around the fringes of the forests depicted on the aged map.
“We shall travel by the edge of the forests to the Capital.”

“That will take twice as long.” Nikola warned from a distance.

“So be it.” Ona declared defiantly.

Ona studied the map for a few more moments before folding it along the worn lines that ran through the page and tucking it into the sack that was slung over her shoulder.

“Summon the men.” Ona announced. “We depart immediately.”

Ona began organizing herself and packing supplies as Qua spread the news of their departure to the men who lingered outdoors.

Nikola began placing game, cheese, ale and assorted root vegetables into the Members’ bags. Ona watched as Maevyn began shoving articles of clothing, a notebook, and a few other sentimental items into her small bag.

“Do not fill it too full of useless items.” Ona warned. “You will need to carry them all the way to the Capital.”

“Yes, M’Lady.” Maevyn replied softly.

Once all of their belongings had been packed, Ona, the Members, Maevyn and Nikola gathered outside of the inn.

Ona waited impatiently for Nikola and Maevyn to say their goodbyes. She watched as Nikola embraced his young daughter, her tears soaking into his shirt. He whispered something into her ear and she smiled slightly.

Ona sighed deeply. She was very much underprepared for taking care of a little girl. She was the farthest thing from maternal. The coldest night in the North would still be warmer than her, she thought bleakly.

Finally, Maevyn had collected herself enough to release her father, who eagerly nudged her toward Ona and Qua.

“Have a safe journey!” Nikola called as the Members walked toward the Capital.

Ona did not have the energy to reply. She was far too busy trying to figure out who would be best to take care of their little burden.

As they walked up the slight incline to the western side of Brooks, Ona glanced at Maevyn. Her blonde hair was blowing softly in the breeze. She watched as she brushed the stray strands from her eyes and shifted uncomfortably under the weight of the bag she had packed.

Ona wondered how long it would be before the girl gave up.

The forest to the west of Brooks that would bring them safely to the Capital loomed ahead of Ona and her men. Part of her was sad to be leaving shelter and a warm bed behind, but she was more than happy to be moving on. The faster that they reached the Southern Capital, the faster she could complete her quest.

As they reached the edge of the forest, Ona glanced up at the canopy of leaves shielding her from the bright sun. They did not have trees like this in the North. The trees that existed where she was from had needles instead of leaves and they were always green. The trees outside of Brooks were different, vibrant shades of green. Some had red tinges on the edges of their leaves, and others were decorated with flowers like Ona had seen in the artwork in Castle Nyv.
She watched the Members’ faces as they became instantly mesmerized with the bright colours and textures that existed in this forest. Cas reached his hand out to caress the edge of a brightly coloured flower, but did not quite reach it before Qua interjected.

“Do not touch anything!” Qua shouted.

“Why not?” Cas demanded. “They’re beautiful!”

“Things in the South have the potential to kill you with just one touch. We must be hyper vigilant now.”

“Is that true?” Kol asked, his eyes turning to Maevyn.

“Yes, but not with all plants. Only some.” She replied tentatively.
Ona saw the gleam in Kol’s eyes when he looked at Maevyn. She felt a large pit form in her stomach when she realized that t’was the same gleam that she had seen in his eyes the first day they had met. She felt nauseous and angry immediately, although she was not sure why.

“Are you alright, M’Lady?” Dom asked, placing a hand lightly on her shoulder.

“I am fine.” She stated, pushing his hand from her shoulder and distancing herself from his grasp.

“If you need us to stop, we can, M’Lady.” Qua called back to her.

“I need no such thing. Continue on.”