Status: On-Going

Lady of Nyv

Closure

As the men walked through the forest, Ona made sure that they continued to walk toward the South. T’was imperative that they did not veer to the east or the west, lest they become lost. As she walked, she could hear Kol and Maevyn talking quietly amongst one another.

“Why is it that you do not walk with the rest of the group?” Maevyn asked.

“I am being punished for deeds I did not mean to commit.” Kol responded.

“What deeds are those?”

“Foul deeds punishable by death, my dear.” He responded sadly.

Maevyn did not respond right away.

“Why did you do these things if you knew of the consequences?” She asked hesitantly.

“I did not mean to. I have been plagued by guilt and regret ever since.”

“I am sure Lady Ona would exercise forgiveness and clemency for you.”

Kol laughed darkly in response.

“You do not know Lady Ona.” He stated firmly.

“I do not, but I do believe that there is some good in her somewhere.”

“You are mistaken.”

“There must be. She agreed to bring me to the Capital.”

“She agreed because of the payment your father offered her; no other reason.”

Maevyn looked hurt then. Ona watched as she averted her glassy blue eyes from Kol.

“I apologize. I did not mean to hurt you.”

“You are right, though.”

The two began to walk in silence then. As Ona walked through the foliage, Qua approached her. The two fell into step with one another as they walked.

“Have you thought at all about what you wish to do concerning Kol, Ona?” Qua asked.

“I have, but I still have not reached a decision.”

“He did save your life at the inn.”

“Indeed. That is why I have not made my decision.”

“Don’t you think that exile is enough of a punishment for him?”

“He killed a man and attempted to kill me.”

Qua sighed deeply, dragging a large palm down his face.

“You are right. Although, I do feel that exercising Northern Law would be a waste.”

“Why is that?”

“He is very talented and a good asset to our team.”

“We will no longer need a team once we reach the Capital.” Ona retorted.

“You are fond of him.” Qua said gently.

“T’was a mistake.”

“Talk to him. Make him plead his case. Mayhaps you will reconsider.”

“I have no desire to fall victim to his lying tongue once again.” She snapped.

“Please, M’Lady.”

Ona growled under her breath, but approached Kol nonetheless. She walked in between Kol and Maevyn, eyeing the child.

“Leave us.” She commanded.

Maevyn obeyed without hesitation, eyeing Ona with fear as she departed.

“I thought you did not wish to speak to me.” Kol spat.

“I must. Qua has made me realize that t’is for the best.”

“So you are not going to kill me?”

“I have not decided anything yet. I am here to allow you to plead your case.”

“I did not mean to do the terrible things of which I have been accused. I have been plagued with guilt and remourse ever since I committed those foul deeds. The worst punishment of all was being separated from you, Ona.”

“You do not mean that.”

“I do.”

“If you care for me like you say you do, then why do you look at that child the way you looked at me? I can see the way that you speak to her and the way that you act and it sickens me.”

“Maevyn?”

“Of course.”

“I feel nothing towards her. I can tell that she feels affection towards me, and that she trusts me, so I am being courteous and trying to make her feel welcome. That is all.”

Ona hesitated after hearing Kol explain.

“Were you jealous of a child, Ona?”

“Mayhaps.”

“She is a child! I would never even think of her in such a manner.”

“I know. I apologize.”

“Have you decided what to do with me?”

“Yes.” She responded quietly.

Without explanation, Ona walked over to Qua. She placed her arm gently on his, signalling for him to break from the crowd.

“Have you made your decision, M’Lady?” He asked.

“Yes.”

“What have you decided?”

“I have punished him via exile for a few days and I believe that he has paid his price. He is a valuable member of our team and t’would be a waste to kill him now. Consider him sufficiently reprimanded for his deeds.”

Qua smiled softly and placed a strong hand on her shoulder.

“I am extremely proud of you, Ona, and I know your uncle would be, too.”

“Thank you.” Ona said, tears forming in her eyes.

“Now,” Qua began “how are you going to tell Dom?”