Status: On-Going

Lady of Nyv

A Life Spared Is A Life Owed

Ona’s mind froze at the thought of telling her brother that she was to spare Kol. At once, she shook her head to clear the fog and began thinking of ways to break the news to Dom.

After a few moments of trying to gather ideas for elaborate schemes to trick him into being happy with this turn of events, she decided t’would be much easier to just be honest and tell Dom the truth.

Ona took a deep breath and walked toward her brother. Without a word, she gently led him toward the back of the group of men. As Qua met her eyes, she nodded slightly in order to silently tell him that all would be taken care of.

“Dom, we need to talk.” Ona said firmly.

“What is it, sister?” He asked, concern thick in his voice. “Has the murderer been bothering you again?”

“No, but it does have to do with him.”

“Ah, so you have come to a decision regarding his life.”

“Yes.”

“When will the execution take place?” He asked eagerly.

“It will not.”

Ona watched as rage and bloodlust filled Dom’s beautiful violet eyes.

“You filthy whore!” He screamed.

Ona said nothing.

“I cannot believe that you are choosing to get into bed with a murderer. He tried to kill you and you still choose him over our safety. I always knew that you were too weak for such a demanding position.”

At once, Ona drew her hand back and slapped her brother across the face. He fell backwards into a tree, shaking some of the leaves from its branches.

Dom placed his hand over his stinging cheek as the blood rushed to it, turning it a bright shade of crimson.

“You’re with child, aren’t you?” He snarled. “That’s the only reason you would protect such scum.”

“Dom, I am not with child.”

“I always knew you’d turn into a succubus. Ever since we were children you’ve been seducing men. Finally, you’ve paid the price for it.”

“I have done no such thing.” She stated calmly.

Dom pounced on Ona all at once, forcing her onto the ground. He pinned her arms over her head with one hand and violently punched her stomach with the other. Ona grunted, her arms thrashing against Dom’s grip.

Dom took out his dagger and began to trace the contours of Ona’s face with the tip of the blade.

“I cannot wait to maul your pretty little face. No man will want you then.” He snarled in her ear.

Dom was distracted suddenly as he heard Qua calling for Ona.

As Dom looked over his shoulder his grip lessened on Ona’s arms. She took advantage of his momentary weakness and ripped her arms free. She disarmed her brother and kneed him in the groin to keep him on the ground as she pulled herself up.

She looked down at her brother who was curled up in the fetal position whimpering.

“If you dare try to harm me again, I will end your life.” She spat. “You are a pathetic excuse for a man. Now get up. We must join the others.”

Ona placed her brother’s dagger into the waistband of her pants next to her dagger as she watched him struggle to stand. After waiting a few moments for Dom to collect himself, they were able to set off to find the other Members.

Thankfully, the Members had not gone far and Ona was able to tell Qua of the incident as soon as she saw him.

“Ona! How did it go?” He asked, smiling broadly.

“There was a bit of an incident, but Dom has been informed of my verdict.” She replied solemnly.

“What happened?”

“He attacked me, so I confiscated his dagger and gave him something so that he could not forget his terrible choices.”

“Ona. Please tell me you did not maim your brother.”

“I did no such thing. He’s fine.”

Qua seemed unconvinced, but chose not to question the matter further.

“Now,” He said, “you just have to inform Kol.”

“Indeed. That shall be easier than informing Dom, I’d imagine.”

Qua chuckled and watched as Ona approached Kol.

“Kol?” She said softly as she approached him.

“Yes, M’Lady?” He asked, turning to face her, his red eyes burning into her amber eyes.

“I have come to deliver your verdict.”
“Alright,” He said, swallowing.

“You have been spared from your execution.”

“Really?”

“Yes, and no further punishment shall be inflicted upon you.”

Kol wrapped his arms around Ona’s middle, squeezing her into a tight embrace. Ona whimpered in response.

“Is something wrong?” Kol asked, releasing her at once.

“Dom attacked me a few moments ago and I am still a little sore.” She admitted.

“What did he do?” He demanded, the red in his eyes intensifying.

“Those events are in the past, and therefore none of your concern. I am fine and he is fine. That is all that matters.”

Kol opened his mouth to respond, but thought better of it and remained silent.

Ona looked up to the sky and saw that it was turning red and pink around the edges.

“We must find somewhere to sleep for tonight.” Ona stated.

“Shall we ask Maevyn?” Kol suggested tentatively.

“I suppose.” Ona agreed.

After they had consulted Maevyn, they decided to stop where they stood and sleep on the floor of the forest. Maevyn had insisted that the South was much safer than the North and the Middle Lands and that Ona and her men would be safe wherever they chose to sleep.

As the men started fires and cooked their food, Ona leaned against a tree and allowed her thoughts to swallow her and her mind to wander.