Status: On-Going

Lady of Nyv

Long Goodbyes

Once all the blood had poured from Lord Saelik’s veins, Ona walked down the hallway and asked a guard to summon Raf. The King’s Advisor marched down the hall rapidly just a few moments after with the guard struggling to keep up.

“What is it?” Raf asked in a concerned tone.

His eyes looked her up and down, searching for a wound of some sort.

“There was a man in my chambers.” Ona stated.

Raf’s expression turned very serious as she uttered those words.

“Who was he?”

As they walked down the hallway toward Ona’s chambers and the lifeless body of Lord Saelik, Ona told Raf the story of why she had had to kill this man. Once they reached the door, Ona had revealed all and Raf had assured her that she had done the right thing. To Raf’s knowledge- there was no Lord Saelik of the East.

They walked inside Ona’s chambers and Raf looked at the body in disgust.

“I shall call some maids and guards to clean up your chambers. In the meantime, take some clothing and retire to my chambers. I will be sure to inform you when they have finished their work.”

Ona searched through her drawers for suitable attire and followed Raf to his chambers. She had been there a few times as a child, but not for many years.

Raf’s chambers were on the opposite side of the castle to Ona’s. It was quite the distance for her to walk, especially as her wet clothing stuck to her in the most uncomfortable of ways. Raf held the door open for her once they reached his chambers and she entered, surveying the ever-changing design of this room.

Without a word, Raf left Ona alone in his chambers. Ona knew that there were guards posted just outside the main doors of these chambers, but she couldn’t help but still feel uneasy. After all, she had just found a man in her chambers. She took the time to walk through the three large rooms that made up Raf’s chambers, paying careful attention to anything that seemed out of place.

Once Ona was convinced that the chambers were free of any other life forms, she proceeded to change out of her wet clothing and into something more suitable for sleeping, which was what she intended to do whilst she waited for the staff to finish cleaning her chambers.

She decided to retire in the sitting room, or the first room of three, on a small couch in the center of the room, opposite a warm hearth. She lay down on the couch, using her arm as a pillow, and drifted off to sleep.

Ona awoke what seemed like an eternity later. Her eyes struggled to open, and she rubbed them with a rough hand as she moved into an upright position. Her eyes opened, and just as she saw a glimpse of sunlight; her eyes began to swim with black circles and her head pounded violently. She rubbed her temples in an effort to calm the pounding.

“Lady Ona, can I get you anything? You have been asleep for such a long time.”

Ona moved her head in the direction from which the voice emanated, silently begging for her eyes to regain their sight. All at once, the black circles in front of her eyes vanished, revealing a short woman in servants’ clothes. Ona smiled at her weakly,

“Some water.” Ona said to the servant.

She nodded in response, and disappeared through the door.

Ona looked around again, momentarily confused as to her whereabouts. After careful inspection of the room around her, Ona came to the conclusion that she still must be in Raf’s chambers.

When the servant came back with her water, Ona was prepared with many questions.

“What time is it?” Ona asked as soon as the girl entered the room.

“It is half past four in the afternoon, M’Lady.” She said with a smile, placing her cup of water in Ona’s outstretched hands.

Ona sighed loudly. She had overslept.

“Are my chambers clean?” She demanded.

“They have been for ages, M’Lady. We did not want to wake you.”

Without another word, Ona walked briskly out of the room and down the winding hallways that led to her chambers.

She walked cautiously through the door, her eyes flew to the spot where Lord Saelik’s corpse had laid just a few hours prior. She was contented when she saw that the body and the mess it had created had been disposed of. She sat on the chair at her desk and placed her head in her hands. In just a few short hours she would be departing on a journey that would undoubtedly change her life. She sighed deeply, suddenly feeling the pressure and overall weight of what this journey entailed as it crashed onto her shoulders. She realized what she needed was to talk to Raf. He was the only guidance she had left, and she needed his support now. She rose from her chair and set off in search of the King’s Advisor.

Just as she was about to turn down the short hallway that led to the main entrance of Raf’s chambers, she heard a voice call her name. She turned on her heel and faced her pursuer. She smiled when she saw Raf at the other end of the hallway.

“I was just coming to find you.” She stated.

“Why were you looking for me, my dear? You should be preparing for your departure. Do you need me to assign servants to aide you?”

“I shall prepare myself in a little while, uncle. I had wanted to talk to you for a moment, if it’s not too much trouble.” Ona said, her eyes turning toward the floor.

She hated feeling as though she depended on someone other than herself. She needed to be mature- especially now.

“You are never too much trouble, Ona.” Raf said with a smile, as he motioned for her to enter his chambers.

She entered the chambers and moved toward the couch.

“Why don’t we talk in here, where it’s more private?” Raf suggested, gesturing to the door to his sleeping quarters.

Ona nodded and followed him obediently into the room. Raf sat on the edge of his bed and patted the place next to him. Ona lowered herself onto the bed, looking up at Raf. She felt as though she was five years old again looking into her father’s eyes as he taught her how to shoot her first arrow. She smiled at the memory.

“What is it you wanted to discuss?” Ona’s thoughts swirled with the many, many concerns she had regarding this journey, her life, her past, present and future. But she did not want to bombard Raf with all of these useless thoughts that plagued her.

“I just wanted to discuss the journey.” She said, feeling guilty for distracting him from his work.

“Are you nervous, my dear?” Raf asked, concern filled his eyes.

“I suppose.” Ona stated.

Now that she was talking with Raf, she was realizing just how asinine her troubles truly were. Every nerve in her body told her to apologize and leave, but she forced herself to stay. Raf wrapped her in a tight embrace.

“You will do just fine. This is for your kingdom, and I trust you to be honourable.”

He kissed the top of her head, and sent her on her way.

Ona walked quietly out of his chambers. Despite having only talked with Raf for a moment, she truly felt more at peace. She returned to her chambers, and the impending task of choosing what she needed to bring on this journey.

She rang the bell in her room that would summon the servants to her room. She decided she would take Raf’s advice and have a servant aid her with her preparation. After all, she did not want to forget anything.

Within moments of ringing the servants’ bell, two servant women knocked on the door to her chambers. Ona allowed them to enter and told them what she needed to have done. The first woman, who was called Tri, was sent off to find a bear skin back durable enough to last the harsh journey to the south. The second woman, Del, started pulling things from Ona`s wardrobe and desk. When Tri returned, Del began carefully organizing all of Ona’s “important” belongings.

In the bottom of the bag she placed a small notebook, a quill and some ink, followed by two changes of clothes, two extra daggers, and a bear fur blanket in case she misplaced her coat.

“What about food?” Ona asked.

“Ah! Yes,” Tri exclaimed.

Then she disappeared through the door. Tri returned a few moments later with a large bag of leather. She opened it to reveal two hunks of bread, some cheese, and a small parcel of Winter Bush. Tri tucked the small bag into the larger and fastened the straps. She then helped Ona put the bag on her back.

“Is it too heavy, m’Lady?” She asked her.

“No.” Ona said. In fact, she was surprised at how light it felt.

“You must bathe now, m’Lady- before supper.” Del said, ushering her into the cleansing room.

Reluctantly, Ona agreed. She watched as Del poured hot water from the kitchen into the tub and Tri helped her to undress. It wasn’t until Ona was disrobed that she realized how incredibly in need of a proper bath she was. Mud, grime and blood caked her skin and her hair fell in dirty, tangled knots around her shoulders. She sighed deeply; her body ached for a hot bath.

She slipped into the hot water tentatively, allowing Del to prevent her from losing her footing on the slippery bottom. She sank to the bottom of the tub, allowing only her head and neck to remain above the water. She sighed with relief. She could feel the hot water relaxing her tight muscles and loosening the sticky grime and sweat and blood from her skin. She allowed Tri to pour the hot water over her head and massage her scalp to remove the dirt from her hair. Del reached into the water and pulled Ona’s arm from the warmth. She moved her hands, which were covered in soap, up and down her arm, from shoulder to fingertip. Once her arm was covered in suds, she rinsed it off with water, and started work on her left arm, followed by her legs, and then the rest of her body.

By the end of her bath, Ona felt extremely relaxed. Del and Tri helped her out of the tub and into her form-fitting brown archers’ pants and a long-sleeved black shirt. Lastly, they fastened her belt around her waist and fluffed her hair in hopes it would dry before supper. Ona thanked them for all of their help and dismissed them promptly.

She walked out of her cleansing room and sat on the edge of her bed. She wondered how long she would have to wait until she was summoned for supper. She sighed and laid back, her hair spreading all over the sheets. She had just begun to relax and melt into her plump mattress for what could be the very last time, when a loud knock came from the door.

“Enter!” Ona commanded, not wanting to stand to greet whomever was choosing to disrupt her.

“I did not mean to disturb your, er, slumber, m’Lady, but supper is being served.”

Ona stood abruptly and walked out of the door, nodding curtly at the man who had been sent to bring her to supper. She walked down the hall toward the kitchen, which seemed like it was getting farther and farther away. She could not believe how hungry she was.

As she grew close to the dining hall she could smell freshly roasted pig and potatoes. She began to hyper salivate as the scent was absorbed in through her nostrils. She walked faster, wanting to eat this food more than ever.

She entered the hall and took her rightful seat on the left side of Raf. He smiled at her, and stood.

“I have prepared this large feast in honour of my niece and the brave band of men who will depart to the South on the morrow. I ask now that you all raise your goblets as a sign of respect, and pray for them tonight. They will fight for their kingdom and do their king proud. In our family we trust, in cold we thrive. Bodies of steel remain alive.”

The entire room raised their glasses and repeated the words of the North. Ona looked to her uncle with gratitude. She hoped to do the North proud.

As she and her uncle sat, so did the rest of the room. Ona glanced around, searching for Dom. She had expected him to be at the brothel for his last night in the North, and was extremely surprised to find him sitting a little ways down the table, next to Qua. Ona ate quickly and with a ferocity that she had never seen before. She supposed it was her body’s way of being sure she would have enough energy for the upcoming journey; mayhaps it was because Syl was an excellent cook.

After Ona finished her second goblet of wine and third helping of roast, Raf touched her arm lightly. She turned to him, meeting his eyes. He brought his lips to her ear.

“Meet me in my chambers after supper.” He stated simply, and then looked away abruptly, not waiting to see her response.

She supposed that this was more of an order than a suggestion and she made sure to remember to visit him. After all, it may be the last time she will ever see her beloved uncle.

She finished supper shortly after Raf had departed. She bid everyone a good night and left the room. She walked briskly down the hallway to Raf’s chamber’s. She knocked once loudly and the door opened almost immediately. Raf ushered her inside. Ona could sense that something about him was not right. He seemed to be very nervous and unsure tonight. This worried Ona. Raf was almost always calm and collected. She could not recall a moment when he had lost his temper or seemed uncertain of something.

She followed her uncle into his room, and he promptly locked the door. Ona sat on the bed, feeling nervous now.

“Is something wrong, uncle?” She asked desperately.

“No, my dear. I did not want you to depart without my gift.” Raf replied, searching through drawers for something.

“You needn’t give me anything.” Ona said, standing to leave.

Just as she was about to walk out of the room, Raf turned around. He gestured for her to be seated once again and held out his hand. In his palm was a small ring with a ruby carved into an octagon. Ona held out her hand hesitantly, and Raf slipped the ring onto her center finger on her left hand.

“Open it.” Raf stated.

At first Ona believed him to be crazy, but with further inspection of the ring, she realized that the jewel was false. She carefully pulled the jewel out of the ring and was surprised to find the opening was filled with a white powder.

“What is this?” Ona asked Raf, clearly curious.

“T’is the poison of the North, my dear. If you mix this with liquid it will kill anything which consumes it. No one will ever know.”

Ona smiled maliciously, very happy to realize that her uncle was just as cunning as she had hoped he would be.

“Thank-you, uncle. I shall fight for my kingdom and make you proud.” She said.

They embraced lightly and she left his chambers.

As she walked down the hallways, she twirled the ring on her finger. She had never worn a ring before, as no one had ever given her one. She realized that she must protect this ring at all costs as it provided the only way of killing King Nyannd without raising any suspicion.

She entered her chambers and lay on her bed. She closed her eyes and tried her best to mentally prepare herself for the perilous journey on which she would embark very soon. She yawned, surprised that after all the rest she had gotten during the past couple of days, she was still tired. She decided that she should rest her body now, as she would need this energy tomorrow. She doubted she would be getting much sleep over the next few weeks. She rang the bell to summon the servants; to be sure she would be awoken before sunrise. She did not want the Members to leave without her.

Once she had been assured that she would be awoken an hour before sunrise, Ona lay down on her bed and fell into a blissful, dreamless sleep.