Horror Movie

Alone Together

“Hey, Saya, where’d Maka go?” Soul asked curiously as he walked over to the couch I was currently occupying.

I glanced up at him, lowering the book I was reading so that I could see him better.

“Oh, she said she was going on a date with her father.” I replied nonchalantly.

“What?! Why in the world would she do that?” Soul exclaimed then added, “She’s always going on about how much she hates him and now she wants to go on a date with him?”

I laughed and chided gently, “Aren’t you forgetting that we made a deal the other day when we were all playing basketball? I think it was something about how if Maka lost she would have to ask her dad out on a date?”

“Oh, yeah,” Soul said slowly as the memory came flooding back to him. “I didn’t think she’d actually follow through with it though…”

“Yeah, well that’s Maka for you.” I said as I placed down my book and stretched my back.

I glanced at the clock. It was a quarter after 5.

“Anyway, I guess it’s just going to be you and me tonight.” I said brightly, trying not to sound too nervous at the thought of being alone with him.

I didn’t know why, but lately I’ve been feeling strange around him. My heart seemed to beat a little faster every time I see him. I get this weird feeling in the pit of my stomach just from hearing his voice. I feel like I should talk to him about it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to do so.

It wasn’t that I was scared or anything.

Well actually…

I guess it was.

You see, I’ve known Soul for as long as I could remember. Even before Maka and him became partners. He was the best friend that I could tell anything to. We understood each other on a level that was so deep that I would sometimes attach my soul wavelength to his without even meaning to.

If I admitted that I was having these feelings, I would be risking our entire relationship and I didn’t think that was something I could risk. I didn’t know what I’d do without Soul in my life. It was just unimaginable.

“Oi, Saya!” Soul yelled, pulling me back from my reverie.

I looked at him questioningly.

“I asked you what we were going to do for dinner,” Soul continued. “It’s Maka’s turn to cook but she’s not here so what’s the plan?”

I pondered for a while about this new predicament that Soul just presented.

“Well, seeing as you’re always burning the food…” I started.

“Hey! I do not!” Soul interjected, defiantly.

I smirked and said, “Well it doesn’t matter, we don’t have any food for you to burn anyways. Maka was supposed to go grocery shopping today too.”

“Geez, why did she have to choose today to go on a date?” Soul muttered with just a hint of annoyance behind his voice.

“Well, it doesn’t matter now.” I said cheerily, then asked, “How does pizza and a movie sound?”

Soul shrugged, “Fine by me.”

“Alright then, you go order the pizza while I choose a movie.” I said, getting up from the couch and making my way over to the DVD cabinet that was situated beside the television.

‘Ah well, as long as I keep these feelings hidden from him, I’m sure everything will be just fine between us.’ I thought as I watched the albino walk towards the phone, ‘Besides, he probably already has feelings for Maka. I mean by becoming her weapons, he vowed to protect her and that’s a vow you have to keep for the rest of your life. I guess all I can do right now, is continue to be his friend. After all, it’d be better this way for the both of us, wouldn’t it?’