Horror Movie

Insomnia

The wind howled eerily outside my bedroom window. I lay on my bed, staring blankly at the ceiling.
The disturbing images from the horror film ran through my mind, robbing me from sleep.

I rolled over on to my stomach and looked towards my night table for the fiftieth time. My alarm clock read 12:32AM.

I sighed restlessly.

Creak. Creak. Creak.

I bolted up from my bed and turned my head towards the sound. It was coming from outside my door. Scenes from the movie came flooding back to me as I thought of the possibility of a serial killer outside my room.

‘Clam down Saya, it’s probably just Maka coming back from her date.’ I mentally thought, trying desperately to settle my clamoring nerves.

However, paranoia ate away at me and I finally decided to check out what could’ve made that noise.

Slowly and silently, I crept out of my room and down the hall. Maka’s room was wide open, revealing a neatly made bed inside.

‘So, it wasn’t Maka.’ I deduced internally. My heart sped up as I realized someone else had walked passed my room.

Immediately the image of a bloodthirsty zombie/vampire killer flashed across my brain. I struggled to contain the sound of my heavy breathing as I edged closer to the door that separated the bedrooms from the living room and kitchen.

I touched the doorknob hesitantly and pressed my ear to the door.

I could hear the gentle drone of the fridge from the other side, along with the sounds of someone rummaging through cutlery.

‘Oh no…’ I thought despairingly, ‘he’s heading for the knives! He’s going to butcher me alive!’

I could feel the panic rising from inside of me. My grip on the doorknob tightened as I tried to quell my nerves. I prepared myself mentally and physically for what I’d find on the other side.

With a burst of spontaneity and a whole lot of courage, I thrust the door open and braced for impact.