Dying Perfection

Final Resting Place

Eric stared down at the hole in the ground, his mother’s next and final resting place. Even though Leilani and Makaio had only known Eric for less than two weeks and have never met his mother they were there.
Eric looked over to the casket as it floated over to above the hole and slowly began to lower down. Eric gazed at it motionless, his stare impenetrable. When the casket had hit the bottom a man said a few words. After that, everyone left. Kalyan and I stayed with Eric, his body as still as a statue.
“It’s going to be all right.” Kalyan said.
“No it’s not.” Eric said and a minute of silence passed after. “You said it would be all right last time, see what’s happened now. Why don’t you just say it will be horrible and that we’re all going to die, maybe things will work out then.”
“But things have to get better, there can’t be anything worse than this.” Kalyan argued.
Eric opened his mouth to say something then looked at me. He stared at his mouth open at me for a couple of seconds then closed it and looked down. “I guess you’re right.” He sighed. “Can’t get worse than it already is.”
Why did he stop when he saw me? Did he get comforted by seeing me? Or is he trying to hide something? I already know he loves me, what else is there to hide?
We stood there for a long time just staring at the hole and thinking. I kept asking myself why Eric hasn’t said anything about how he loves me. I wanted to just scream out something like “I love you too.” or “Why won’t you hold me and give me your love?” I already knows he loves me, I just waiting for it.
“We should go.” Kalyan said. “It’s getting late.” She said and headed out for her car, I followed and looked back, Eric didn’t move.
“Are you coming?” I asked.
“No, I’m fine.” Eric continued to stare at the ground.
“Well call when you want a ride.” Kalyan said.
“No, I’ll walk.” Eric said. I heard him say that again when his volleyball team had been beaten in the semi-finals. Except this time his tone was different, he seemed calm rather than sad or angry.
“I love you.” I whispered and turned around to Kalyan’s car.

Over the weeks I’ve become more of friends with Jason than before. But I’ve also realized that he’s more popular now, we were losers in elementary. Because of that he’d go and spend more time with other people, we were just normals, we were lower than the biggest losers with MCMs.
Leilani and I have also become very good friends, she’s like another Kalyan but different. She doesn’t just walk away like Kalyan and she shows her true feelings. She also isn’t as proud as Kalyan. We’ve become so tight I told her about Eric and how I love him, something I haven’t told Kalyan yet.
Makaio was really quiet and shy when we first met him; barely said a word. But now he’s been accepted in our group, he’s always hanging out with Sam and Ajax. I haven’t seen Ajax so comfortable with someone since before we met Eric. I saw us as just a big family, until a day when my world just flipped upside down.