Dying Perfection

Moments of Truth

We walked into the room. The surgery was a success, but even after the hours of trying to fix Makaio’s lung and ribs he was still in intensive care.
“Makaio?” Leilani said.
Makaio opened his eyes and scanned the room. “Is Kalyan coming?” he asked. We looked at each other, why does he care about Kalyan coming or not?
“No.” Ajax said.
“Oh,” Makaio said. “Why isn’t she here?” He asked, disappointed.
“We’re not really friends anymore.” I said. “It’s hard to explain.”
“So I won’t see her again?” Makaio asked.
“Not for now.” Leilani said. “When you come back to school in a month or two you might.”
“Why does he care about Kalyan?” Sam whispered to Leilani.
“I don’t know, he didn’t seem to miss anybody this much since my mother left us when we were small.” Did her mother leave because they were twins? I know twins are undesirable, but you’d be able to prevent twins, so if she didn’t want twins why didn’t she prevent them?
“Well if you do see Kalyan and become friends again, tell her to visit me.” Makaio said.
“I don’t think we’ll make up anytime soon.” I said, even if Kalyan did try to become my friend again, “I hate her.” I spoke my thoughts then looked up. Sam, Leilani and Makaio were staring at me.
“Why?” Sam said. I hadn’t told anybody about what had happened, Ajax and I were the only ones aware about the situation.
“Okay, I’ll tell you.” I said. “When Eric’s mom died he said that he loved me. Because he had no home he stayed at my house. I started to love him too. When Makaio was rushed to the hospital I went home and saw him and Kalyan kissing.” I wanted to continue but broke down in tears after that sentence.
“So we kicked them out of our house.” Ajax finished. “Kalyan and Eric both knew Hera loved Eric, but I guess they decided to ignore Hera and her feelings.” I smiled, Ajax was there for me again. I held back the tears and looked up, I wasn’t the only sad one, I could see disappointment and tears in Makaio’s eyes.
“Eric didn’t just betray me.” I said. “He betrayed us all.” I looked over to Sam. “He betrayed you, I know you see him as a brother, but he faked it. He doesn’t see you as a friend, he doesn’t see any of us as more than tools to get to Kalyan.” Sam gawked, a glaze of tears appeared on top of his eyes.
“But I thought…” Sam started. “I thought he was one of us.”
“We all thought that.” Ajax said. I’m surprised how he didn’t say anything about how Eric was not to be trusted from the beginning.
“So what should we do?” Leilani asked.
“Stay friends.” Ajax said. “No matter what, no matter what life throws at us, we still have each other.”

After a week Makaio was strong enough to move from intensive care to the regular hospital. Even though he was seen as strong he still needed oxygen and many other devices to keep him alive.
Makaio was still in a bed and couldn’t walk, his leg and ribs were still broken and his lung was still punctured. He wasn’t allowed to eat or drink because the doctors feared that if something, even a drop of juice went down his trachea his lung could become infected.
We walked into his room. “Hey,” Sam said. “How’s it going?” We would go to the hospital everyday after school and stay for about an hour.
“It’s okay. I’ve been dying to get up and walk. Heck, I’d do anything to just stand up, sitting in bed all day is torture. Hospital life sucks.” Makaio said.
“But it’s life.” Ajax said. Everyone stayed quiet for a long time, any form of life is better than death.
“Kalyan doesn’t love me.” Makaio finally said after about five minutes of silence.
“No.” Ajax said. “You love her, don’t you?” He said. Makaio nodded. We continued to stand there in silence.
“I’m sorry.” Ajax spoke up again. “It’s all my fault, I was the one who tickled Sam, I was the one who couldn’t catch him. If we didn’t go home after being kicked out of the hospital we wouldn’t see Kalyan and Eric making out and they’d still be our friends. I’ll probably break my back because of this.” Ajax is serious about this karma thing.
“No you won’t.” I said. “You saw me see the true side of Kalyan and Eric, if they were still my friends they’d probably continue to stab my back and break my heart more.”
“At least someone is happy.” Ajax said. “Everyone else should hate me.”
“Why would we?” Makaio said. “I know I’m here because of you, but we’re still friends, and nothing can change that.” I’m surprised he said that. Usually someone else would he feeling bad and Ajax would give a heart warming speech.
Something began to beep and Leilani took out her cell phone. I looked over her shoulder “Doctor” was written on the screen.
“Sorry,” Leilani said. “I have to go, I’ll hopefully be back to drive you guys home.” She said and rushed out into the hallway. Everyone looked at each other.
“I need to tell you guys something.” Sam sighed. “It’s about Leilani. I trust all you guys with this secret.” He looked at Ajax and I. “I’ve known you guys for as long as I can remember, I know I can trust you.” He turned and faced Makaio. “I know I can trust you, heck, you risked your life for me.” Sam said.
We all stared at Sam, this was the first time Makaio would have seen Sam serious and Ajax and I haven’t seen this for a long time.
“Well,” Sam said. “It’s just that,” He stumbled, trying to think of the right thing to say. “I like Leilani, and after seeing what you guys have been through I want to find out if she likes me too. I don’t want to feel like an idiot or anything loving someone who doesn’t love me.” Sam looked at us. “So can you guys try and find it out for me?”
I nodded and saw Ajax do the same. “I guess Ajax is the only one here who hasn’t loved someone.” I said.
“That’s what you think.” Ajax said.
“Ooh! Who do you like?” Sam said, getting back to his normal, joking self.
“Let me guess, it’s someone who doesn’t love you?” Makaio joined in.
“Nope.” Ajax said, a big grin on his face. We all thought for a moment.
“Is it me?” I guessed.
“Yup,” Ajax smiled, I smiled back. “I also love Leilani and Sam and Makaio.” We all smiled, at this moment Ajax was acting like a two year old.
“We love you too.” I said.