Dying Perfection

New Beginning

School was beginning to start and already half the population had MCMs. The price was now down to $50,000 a kilogram and was still dropping. They were predicting that by the end of the year they’d only be $2,500 a kilogram and that would be at its lowest.
When I walked in the door on the first day of school I looked around, everyone was tall, beautiful and elegant. Boys had muscles bulging out of them while girls were skinny and had large breasts. Everyone was six feet or taller, I felt like I was walking with giants. I finally met gaze with someone else, it was a boy. He had a gleam in his eyes like Eric and a soft smile. I smiled back as his eyes seemed to twinkle.
“Amazing, yet so sad.” Eric appeared behind me. “I guess we’re the only normals.” I looked back at him, his eyes were gleaming, but I could see sadness behind that. I continued to look and saw something. It was a set of eyes but lower by what seemed a foot from the others. It was a girl; she had dirty blonde hair, green eyes, tan skin and a slender form. She looked as beautiful as Kalyan, maybe more. Instead of proud eyes and a glad smile she had a gloomy face.
I walked over to her, “What’s the matter?” I had decided to be more impulsive this year and try and talk to people more. She scanned me with her eyes and a small smile appeared on her face.
“Are you…” she started. “A normal?” I looked at her, almost dumbfounded by a question.
“Yes, and so are my friends, Eric and Kalyan.”
She smiled, “Good, I thought I would be the only normal here, I’m Leilani.” She said.
“I’m Hera, guess Eric still is the only one with a normal name.” I said. “Here, I’ll introduce you to him and Kalyan.” I brought her over to them.

After everyone was introduced we wandered the hallways. The bell rang and we all hurried to out classrooms. I went to social and sat down; luckily Leilani was in the same class as me. The teacher called attendance.
“Jason Martin.” I managed to catch.
“Here,” the boy who I had seen spoke. Jason Martin, I had heard that name before, but I don’t know where. I was positive I had seen him before but he doesn’t look familiar. My train of thought ended when my name was called.
After attendance the teacher stood at the front of the room. “I’m Mrs. Cox.” She said. “And I will be teaching you social studies for the rest of the term. Because this is the first day of school we will not be doing any work. Because this is social class I will let you socialize for the next hour and a half.” Mrs. Cox returned to her desk and conversation broke out. I turned over to Leilani.
“What do you have next?” I asked.
“Art.” She answered. “What about you?”
“PE.” I answered while she looked up.
“Hey,” A voice sounded and I looked around, it was Jason. “Good to see you, I didn’t think we’d end up in any classes together.” I was confused. Why does he know me? Is he glad I’m in the same class as him? And who is he?
“It’s nice to see you too.” I said, faking it and then struggled to figure out what to say next. “Have you gotten MCMs?”
“Of course,” I let out a breath of relief, he hasn’t figured out yet I don’t know who he is. “Everyone has them.”
“Not me.” I said.
“Well are you getting them?”
“No.”
He frowned, but quickly masked it by talking. “Who’s your friend?”
“Leilani.” Leilani spoke up.
“Nice to meet you.” He held out his hand. I stared at their hands, Eric had held my hand like that, when we first met. Maybe Jason and I will become friends, and set our differences aside.
“Are you and Kalyan still friends?” I zoned back to the real world. How does he know about Kalyan? Does he stock me?
“Yes.” Is all I could say.
“How about Ajax and Sam?”
“Who are you?!” I exploded, he must stalk me or something to know about Ajax and Sam. “And why do you know everything about me?!” His eyes widened.
“I’m Jason, don’t you remember me?” He said, his eyes twinkled, there was something comforting but strange in them. “We went to elementary together, we were friends. Remember?”

Kalyan was just gluing her collage, Jason and I were still looking for pictures in the magazine. Jason’s glasses were dirty, we had just finished player soccer. I saw an add of soap and saw a half naked girl in the shower. I looked away to the door, the picture was gross. On the door read “Grade 2, Mrs. Holib” The words were familiar, everyday at school I saw those words.
“Look.” Jason said and showed us a picture in the magazine. “It’s like us.” There were teenagers playing on a beach, there were two girls and a guy.
“When we’re that old I hope we’re still friends.” I said as Kalyan looked up.
“Don’t worry, we’ll be friends forever.” She said and we all smiled at each other and I felt like it was true. Even when we’re grown up we’ll be friends.

“But I thought you moved.” I said.
“I did, but moved back last year. I went to grade 10 with you, but thought you forgot about me so I didn’t say anything to you. I finally realized that if you did forget, then we can just become friends again.” He smiled and his eyes gleamed again.
“You’ve changed.” Was all I could say.
“No I haven’t,” he said. “We’re still friends and we’ll continue to.” His eyes sparkled in a strange way like before. “I-“
“Jason!” Someone cut Jason off. “Come see this!” Jason waved and walked over to his friends.
“Who else do you know that I haven’t met yet?” Leilani was slightly pissed off.
“My brother and his friend.” I said. “That would be it, if I meet someone else and don’t tell you, it’s not my fault.”
“What classes are they in?” She asked. “Cause I might be able to meet them if we have the same classes.”
“Sorry, they’re in Jr. High, grade 9.”
“Oh, I’m just used to siblings being the same age as you, I’m a twin.” She said.
I blinked, with the technology of today not much people had twins now, nobody wanted twins. Twins were rare, only about on millionth of the population had twins.
“Wow.” I just stared at her, I thought I would never meet a twin in my life. “What’s her name? What classes is she in?”
“I have a brother, his name is Makaio.” Having twins of a different sex is even rarer. What next, siblings that are triplets? “He is in PE next as well, you should meet him.”
“If I can’t find him we’re heading over to the movies after school, we could meet you there, that way you could meet my brother and his friend too.”

At PE everyone just sat on the floor, it was the first time I had done that at school for a long time. We were told to order gym strip and we had to sign up for modules, different sport classes.
I was able to find Makaio because he was in front of me in the lineup and I read his name on the piece of paper. I met with him after.
“Hey,” I started, “I know your sister, Leilani.”
He just stared at me. “So what do you want from me?”
“I just wanted to meet you.” I said, being truthful.
“Okay then, my name’s Makaio.” He said.
“I’m Hera.” I said. “If you want Leilani, I and my friends are heading to the movie after school, you can come.” Makaio gave me a small smile and agreed.