Facade

It’s All a Facade

She presses her hand against the window, watching. Her warm breath makes a fog on the chilled glass, a product of the cold night that had just passed. Her finger pads cool, body heat transferring to the places on the window where they rest.

She watches as he stands, staring at the sky. Contemplating life, death, and everything in between. His mind has been troubled for awhile now, clouded by thoughts of days long since passed.

She frowns, watching as his shoulders slump in defeat. Life has taken it’s toll on him. He’s let it get him down too many times to count, yet here he is. Here he stands, staring at the sky as if it held all the answers. And maybe it does.

She knows how he feels, she can relate. Adversaries have come at her, in many different forms. Friends, strangers, and even family. The latter of the three are always the hardest to face.

He turns, and she ducks away from the window - retreating to the safety of her dimly lit room. She knows that when they see each other, when they speak; they will both act as if neither are troubled by the thoughts that are always present in their minds. As if all was well with their worlds.

She sometimes wonders if they will ever acknowledge their demons. Ever admit that they exist, to anyone other than themselves. Somehow she doubts it. It’s easier this way, pretending that all is right and good; that all is okay.

But it's not. It’s all a façade.