The Missing Wolf

Worry

Hesitation and permission were something that didn’t matter at the moment. Alex stood up the second he crossed the threshold. The teacher saw her and decided that an urgency wouldn’t allow him keep her down. It was known in the school, especially by the teachers, that disobedience was a rash act of hers, and the consequences did little to her. The teachers saw it as an attitude problem, but the students saw it as an amazing determination and carefree mind. Determination was the closest answer.

“Thanks professor,” said Emmet gratefully. It was easy for good students to manipulate most teachers. As it was, both were good students (in the sense of high grades and not a bad responsibility).

“Don’t take too long Radley,” warned Mr. Fig. Alex only nodded and closed the door behind her.

Emmet had walked farther from the door. He waited for her on the small building’s corner. His back to the cold wall, concern clearly written on his eyes. He had never been good in hiding his thoughts and emotions, not that he ever wanted. A kind heart pumped in his chest; flooding him with a calm nature (much too calm in Alex’s opinion).

“No one will hear from here,” said Alex.

“Good,” he answered. He sighed, passing his fingers through his hair. He wanted to say everything quickly, but he didn’t know where to start. An accusation would be wrong from him, he knew better. To accuse his cousin of something, he had to be at least 98.9% sure and even then some strong evidence was required.

“I didn’t kill him,” retorted Alex. She saw Emmet flinch, knowing that he had wanted to avoid something like that. “And now I know you didn’t either,” she added calmly now.

“Of course not,” he answered. “But it is evident, someone like us did it. There’s no other explanation for a murder like this one. Haven’t you felt anything?” Hi eyes were not on her, he stared at the white temple in the distance.

“No,” she said. “I didn’t leave my house during the weekend. We should go to the river, at noon.” The small colony had a river, south of the school main building. The small river divided the rich, big houses and farms from the poor ones. Half the year it stayed dry, and the other half it flooded the lower levels, sometimes ripping off parts of the old Hanging Bridge.

Emmet turned his eyes to her. “We’ll see each other then, Alex. I’d better take off.”

As he walked away, Alex could sense the disturbances inside him, and Emmet could sense the immense curiosity inside Alex.

* * *

Time trickled on slowly. Fingernails tapped the wooden surface, bored. She lowered her fingers, finding the noise bothersome. With a finger, she rubbed her eye gently, trying to not leave any smudges of her black eyeliner. Her tired eyes never losing sight of the white board behind her English teacher.
Someone gave her a prod. Alex squirmed slightly at the touch. She hated being touched; too many feelings and ideas crept in a touch. There were some exception with some people, they were fine.

“What’s wrong with you today?” It was the girl with black curly hair, Karen. She was Alex’s best friend, one of the few that knew her darkest secrets. Someone who, in Alex’s opinion, she truly cared for. “You look tense.” Karen eyed her suspiciously. Her big, green eyes scanning her face.

“I’m fine,” she murmured. The bell suddenly rang. Boys and girls scrambled to the door, only one word flashing in their minds, [‘Lunch’.] Alex stood up; usually she was one of the last to leave, not wanting to pump to anyone. Karen waited for her by the door. Together they walked down the empty corridor, Alex pulling down her black sleeves.

“So?” urged Karen.

Alex inhaled before answering. Making sure no one else was around. “This last murder, it is too… savage to be made by a person.”

At the word ‘person’, Karen’s eyes widen, shining, understanding. “But you’re not going to do anything Alexandra.” It was a demand, not a question. When suspecting that Alex would do something weird or dangerous, she had to put her foot down. “Have you talked to Emmet?”

“Yes, in the first period. Didn’t you see him?”

“Oh, so that’s why you went out.”

Alex nodded. For her it was obvious, but she held a special patience for Karen. After all, she was only human. “He agreed to meet me at the river at noon.”

“Okay. I’ll take your things then. You’d better hurry.” She extended her arm and grabbed her friend’s schoolbag.

“Thank you, Karen.” She handed over her things, turned around and walked. Taking swift, steady strides. Karen watched her disappear in a right turn, chewing her lip nervously.

* * *

Dry, dead weeds poked from everywhere. Short trees hid from view the river, hiding also Emmet and Alex, which suited them perfectly. A warm breeze swayed the lonely branches. Emmet kneeled on one knee, his right hand touching the brittle dirt. Alex stood by his left, eyes closed, body alert.

Something had been there one night ago, she could feel it. A beast, she was sure of it, nothing she had ever sensed before.

The wind kissed her skin, leaving a tingling sensation. It spread through all her left arm and shoulder. Deep breaths filled her chest. A complete silence engulfed them. No bird or animal crawled near, this didn’t pass unnoticed. Even the noise of not-so-far cars didn’t reach there. They were alone. Perfect, thought Alex.

Emmet rose slowly, rubbing his right hand fingers. “Something was here one night ago,” he said. “Do you know to where it moved?”

Alex opened her eyes and licked her lips. “It moved during night. Walked in direction to the school.” Something ticked in Emmet’s mind with the last sentence. “I believe he knows about us. Our scent is weak on weekends, but it is still there nevertheless,” she added.

“We have to find it before it finds us first,” Emmet said.

“That sounds so cliché.” A smirk spread on her lips.

Emmet chuckled. “I know it does, but that doesn’t make it less true. We should…” He stopped. His muscles tensed. A second later, so did hers. A stench carried by the breeze, abruptly hit them.

With ought a second to spare, they ran to its direction. Both were fast; in school, they were the fastest. It took them only a couple of minutes to reach the origin. Both flinched at the sight.

Another dead body laid on the river’s edge. The head was cut off and the hands burnt. The ashen face was that of a young man, no more than twenty years old.

“How pleasant,” said Alex bitterly. Her eyes swept the body, resting a while on the separated head.

A growl escaped Emmet’s lips, breaking the silence and her staring. She knew that growl very well. “Is he from the same night?” he spat.

“He is.” Her arms tingled; a confusing sign. “More than two creatures were here. I can’t recognize them.”

“Neither can I. Tonight, come to my house around 9:30. If they know about us, we can’t just stay put and cross our arms.”

She only nodded. Was there anything to say?
♠ ♠ ♠
Disclaimer: I do not own the character Emmet Radley.
Things will get interesting after this. And excuse any errors, this is only checked by my amateur eyes.