The Missing Wolf

Changes

“I don’t want to talk about it, yet,” she said. Alex and Emmet were in the truck, driving down an empty street. Emmet nodded, understanding; Allan and Logan were running on both sides of the street, keeping up with the vehicle. Even though they were outside, it was probable that they would be able to listen. They spent the rest f the trip in silence, the only noise being the music that came from the stereo.

Alexa had dozed off, and next thing she knew, her door was being opened, the truck in full stop. She jumped out of her seat, pumping into something. “Uff,” she puffed. “Sorr-“ she looked up, seeing Allan “-sorry.” He chuckled, which annoyed her. She closed the door and searched for the door in the garage. She hurried to it, but stopped to listen what they boys were saying.

“We were planning on watching around the house,” Allan explained to Emmet, while he only kept on thinking. Emmet turned to look at Alex; she looked away and entered the house.

“No, I don’t think that’s necessary. Just, watch the block…” She didn’t finish hearing the rest. Inside the house, everything was quiet and dark. Silently she walked through the hall, being careful until she reached the guest’s room. This was the room where she slept whenever she stayed at her cousin’s house. There were even some of her clothes in the drawers. First thing she did was to close shut the window’s curtains, not trusting that the other two would be satisfied with just watching the block.

Alex changed into a simple black top and sweatpants. Her mind and body were so tired that the second she got comfortable in the bed, she fell asleep.

A warm sun peeked through the semi-closed blinds. The light combined with the sweet smell of food woke up Alexandra. An ache in her stomach reminded her she hadn’t eaten since early afternoon the day before. Rubbing her sore eyes she got up and followed the scent of what seemed like pancakes.

On her way, she stopped at the bathroom to wash hr face. The cold water felt good on the hot skin. She wiped off the eye-liner smudges and washed her hands. When the water stopped running, voices drifted from the kitchen. Drowsiness had kept her from paying any attention, but now she could hear them clearly: three males, it took her another second to identify two of the voices.

“Oh no…” Alex gulped. Slowly she entered the kitchen, and sure enough there they were. Allan and Logan, sitting at the table with Emmet, all three pair of eyes watching her come. She swallowed. “What’s going on?” she asked, the words barely audible for human ears.

“Ah, sleeping beauty, glad you’re awake,” greeted Emmet, smiling. “We just had brakefast. We left you some.”

Allan and Emmet still had empty plates in front of tem. Alex saw a dish drying by the dishwasher. “So Logan cleaned his plate,” she though. Somehow, that made her dislike for him shrink a bit. “Thanks,” she mumbled, walking over to get a plate from the cupboard and a fork. With the food ready, she sat down. Awkwardness crept all over her. Grabbing the vanilla syrup, she tipped it over and poured the thick liquid on her pancakes. “Anything happened?” she asked, forking the piece she cut.

“No,” answered Allan. His eyes stayed on her, making her self-conscious of the fact that she only wore a black top…

It didn’t take her long to finish attending the bed. When she placed the pillows on the neat bed, someone knocked and opened the door. She didn’t have to turn around to know it was Emmet.

“Hey Alex,” he said. “How are you doing?” He closed the door behind him and walked over to her. She picked up her hair and tied it with a rubber band, not bothering to grab her side bangs.

“I’m okay,” she lied. The truth was that she wanted to be okay, but the memories of last night kept coming to her. “I’m trying to accept the changes.”

Emmet nodded; he understood what she meant. For the time being, there weren’t any big changes, but they knew they would come. Changes were something he didn’t like and neither did she, but Alex always made the effort to adapt. Surviving was always her motto.
“I have to go buy some things and Logan will come with me; they say none of us should be alone. So Allan will stay with you.” She didn’t bother to argue; it was too early. She nodded and sat on the bed. “I won’t take long.” He got out and Alex listened to his footsteps, all the way to the truck and to the engine’s roar fading. Someone approached the door. In an instant she was up and opening the door to Allan.

“Want to come in?” she asked, the corner of her mouth twitching to a smile.

“Sure,” he said smiling.

He sat on a corner of the bed and she on top of the pillows wit cellphone in hand. Her parents would be expecting a call soon, but she wrote them a message. In a minute she finished the message and sent it to them. Then she placed the cellphone on the floor. After chewing on her lip for a while, she turned to him. “Do you really think we are the ones?” she asked doubtful.

“Yes,” he answered. “Even if it weren’t for the vampyr’s very accurate source, you and Emmet have very strong auras.”

Alex still felt uncertain. Not until her parents and uncles told them the truth about their ancestors would she truly believe.

“My turn,” said Allan. “How old are you?”

“Sixteen. You?”

Allan raised his eyebrows. “Hell. I’m actually a few centuries old… but I stopped aging at 18.”

“A few centuries?” she repeated surprised. “How do you stop aging?”

Allan shrugged. “It’s like morphing. You force your body to stay in the state you are, and you don’t age. Very much like the vampyr, only we can change to an older appearance.”

“We don’t die…?”

“No, at least not because of old age. Unless you give up on being lycan.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I deserve to die *slashes wrist* I apologize for my huge absence, and all the lame excuses I have are just not enough. But one is that, I wrote the chapter in a comp. but we bought another and I forgot to save it in a memory USB before taking it off. So it took me a while to rewrite this suck replacement. And also, roleplaying took most of my time. Sorry!