Sequel: OuR BeAuTiFuL MaDnEsS
Status: Completed and Soon to be Published

Our Perfect Insanity

Chapter One

ChApTeR OnE

“Horror is beyond the reach of psychology."
~Theodor Adorno

"May I see her yet?"

That was my first question as I saw Dr. Bell. She smiled at me, watching as I rushed to her side, panting slightly from racing all the way here. I straighten up and dusted myself off, and Dr. Bell looked over at me, an amused smirk gracing her lips.

"You seem to be incredibly eager to speak with a patient, whom has never spoken a word to anyone." Dr. Bell observed.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"What can I say, Kath? The insane mind intrigues me." I told her, and Dr. Bell, or Kathryn as she was more commonly known as, smiled at me.

"Well, maybe you and your boyish charm can weasel her into talking? What do you think, John?" Kath asked, and I laughed.

"Oh, I don't know. I'll sure try, though." I replied with a smirk.

She grinned at me, handing me the clipboard in her hands.

Suddenly, there was a slam next to us, causing both Dr. Bell and I to jump. Turning, I saw a larger, balding patient pressing his face up against the glass with a crazed look in his eyes.

He grinned crazily at me, his lips spreading into a feral smile that showed off his crooked, yellow teeth.

"Hello, neighbor." The inmate said, in a voice that reminded me of a more horror movie-like ‘Mr. Rogers’.

I stared at him before looking at the panel beside his cell. The plaque simply read 'Bruce'. I sighed, he was simply a semi-nameless crazy, figures.

"He’s a psychopath… reminds me of my ex-husband." Dr. Bell commented, shaking her head while a small smirk crossed her lips.

I chuckled, before walking off down the hall, leaving Dr. Bell to take notes on the behavior of 'Bruce'.

"Room 267... Room 268... Ah, room 269." I mumbled to myself as I reached out and swiped my key card in the slot before Igrasped the cool, metal door handle. Turning it, I pushed open the door.

At first, I thought the room was empty, until I saw the young woman huddled in the corner, wrapped snugly in a strait jacket.

I walked inside, and closed the door behind me, walking over to sit on the chair and positioning my pen over my clipboard. The girl didn't seem to have noticed me yet, so I cleared my throat.

Still, she did not move.

"Hello. I'm Dr. Jonathan Kilmury. How are you today?" I asked, and the girl's head snapped up, and she stared at me with wide eyes.

I gasped.

She is... she is quite a beautiful creature…

She had waist-length midnight black hair, thought it was tangled and matted with what looked like blood. Her skin was pale and flawless, making her look like a porcelain doll.

Her thick, black lashes swept her high cheekbones when she blinked, and her naturally red lips were full and looked perfectly kissable.

I shocked myself at that observation, but shook the thoughts from my mind.

The most... interesting thing about the girl's features, were her eyes. Her right eye was a sparkling and bright, emerald green. But, her left eye was a shining sapphire blue.

I had never in my life, seen a person with different colored eyes before. I'd seen cats and dogs with different eyes, but never humans.

The woman was staring at me, her eyes piercing into mine.

Turning away from her uncomfortable gaze, I cleared my throat before looking over at her once more.

"I heard from the other doctors that you don't speak much." I said, and the girl quirked an eyebrow at me.

I sighed.

"Let me rephrase that. I heard from the doctors that you don't speak at all." I said, and the girl smiled in what appeared to be an amused way.

"You can speak to me… you can trust me." I told her.

She smirked, just continuing to stare at me with that same blank, yet, slightly amused expression.

"Can you speak at all? Are you mute?" I tried again, and she shook her head, still smiling.

I sighed and looked down at my paper, beginning to write my diagnosis.

"As expected, patient is not speaking with me. She shows no sign of ever speaking. Possibly not even capable of speech-"

I was interrupted from muttering my diagnosis out loud, by a calm, cold voice.

"I can speak."

I looked up at her, finding her staring at me with a soft, yet, sinister smile spread across her painted red lips.

"So you can… what's your name?" I inquired, leaning forwards, and watching her with interest.

"Oh, you would like to know, but, I’m afraid I’m not going to give important information out to… strangers…” She said coolly, smiling softly at me, yet her eyes glinted darkly

"I’m not a stranger." I replied, and she gave me a blank look, before sighing, a small smirk flickering across her features.

"My name is Ariel." She informed me, and I cocked an eyebrow, looking down and jotting that down on my paper.

"Do you have a last name?" I asked her.

She frowned, appearing to be deep in thought.

"I... can't remember." Ariel told me.

I sighed, eyeing her.

"Surely you can remember your last name?" I said, prodding for information about the strange and beautiful creature before me.

She took a deep breath and sighed, appearing to be searching her mind for information.

"Nex." She said quietly.

Finally, more clues to the mystery.

I raised an eyebrow and tilted my head to the side, studying the lovely girl who was quite pretty, even when she looked so… dishevelled.

"Nex." I repeated.

She sighed before nodding her head, her long black curls falling into her eyes.

"Yes." Ariel confirmed. I smiled calmly at her, writing it down on my papers while she watched me curiously.

"That's an interesting name... so, why is it that you've never spoken to any of the other doctors, yet, here you are, speaking with me? Why is that?" I inquired.

Ariel smiled softly at me, her eyes twinkling.

"Why? It’s because… well… it’s because you're just as crazy as the rest of us."