Sequel: OuR BeAuTiFuL MaDnEsS
Status: Completed and Soon to be Published

Our Perfect Insanity

Chapter Thirteen

ChApTeR ThIrTeEn

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
~H. P. Lovecraft

Everything seemed to go in slow motion as my daughter’s eyes became glassy, and Ariel tossed her carelessly to the side.

My daughter’s body crumbled to the floor, and within a second I had heaved myself off the ground, and was at her side.

“No, no, no, June, please no…” I pleaded, tears streaming down my cheeks as I held my daughter’s body close to me, wishing that I could have saved her.

But, I didn’t. I failed her.

“Don’t be sad, Jonathan... you still have me.” Ariel’s voice spoke, but, I didn’t pay attention; all I was focusing on doing, was holding the lifeless body of my child in my bloody arms, wishing that she would wake up.

But, she wouldn’t... she wasn’t sleeping, she couldn’t wake up... she was dead, she was gone, you can’t reverse that.

“You bitch!” Another voice exclaimed, and this time I looked up, my eyes widening in horror as I recognized that voice; Kathryn.

I saw her standing across the room, slightly slouched over due to her injuries.

“Ah, Kathryn… I’d forgotten you were here…” Ariel smiled, and before I could do anything, Ariel had flown at Kathryn.

There was nothing I could do; Ariel had used the same knife that she used to kill my daughter, to kill Kathryn.

I watched as Kathryn’s eyes became glassy, and her body as well, crumpled to the ground.

Suddenly, I felt it all collapsing around me. Was this what it felt like, to be driven insane? To go mad, to no longer have a hint of sanity inside my mind?

I stood up, leaving my daughter’s cold body on the ground, as I faced Ariel.

She turned to me, a warm smile on her face as she watched me cross the room towards her. I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her against me. It felt… right… it felt perfect.

Ariel looked up at me, her eyes shining as her lips crashed against mine.

I felt it all collapsing around me as I gave in, as I let go of every little piece of sanity that I had left, as Ariel pulled away, and looking up at me, smiling.

“Welcome… to our perfect insanity.”