Sequel: OuR BeAuTiFuL MaDnEsS
Status: Completed and Soon to be Published

Our Perfect Insanity

Chapter Seventeen

ChApTeR SeVeNtEeN

“I cannot understand why I should need a reason to kill you.”
~Anonymous

“Okay, explain to us what’s going on here.”

Kat demanded this, dragging me over to the couch downstairs and forcing me to sit down. I looked up at her and bit my lip, before sighing and relaxing back into the couch as Jake sat down at my side.

“Alright, alright… well, that was Jonathan Kilmury, as you two know, and his new ‘girlfriend’ - if that’s even the right term- Ariel. I don’t think he likes her, really, she’s got him under some kind of control… there’s something really weird about her.”

As I explained this Kat and Jake exchanged nervous glances.

“But, Sylvia… all the evidence points to Jonathan for being responsible for the murders of your mother, his ex-wife and his daughter.” Jake told me softly, while I merely I glared at him.

“Since when are you a cop, huh? I know that it wasn’t him! Ariel confessed to the murders! We need to stop her, she told me that I can either join her and Jonathan, or she’s going to kill me...” I whispered the last part, suddenly feeling very afraid.

Jake’s eyes darkened and he leaned forwards to wrap his arms around me.

“I won’t let anyone hurt you, okay? You’re perfectly safe, alright?” Jake asked, holding me at arm’s length.

I looked up at him, my eyes slowly filling with tears and Jake held me against him again.

I was afraid of what this woman would do. I don’t want to die and I don’t want Jake or Kat to get hurt either.

I clutched tightly onto Jake’s shirt and sobbed, afraid, not knowing if there was anything that I could do to stop Ariel.

I tensed in Jake’s arms as I heard the front door open, but, then I saw the woman walk past us and into the kitchen, and I let out a sigh of relief.

It’s just Kat’s sister, it’s all okay, just calm down, Sylvia.

“Hey, kids. How’d the funeral go- Sylvia, what’s wrong?” Kat’s sister, Colette, asked the last questioned as she turned around and spotted me sobbing into Jake’s chest.

I gave her a weak smile, while Kat offered to explain.

“Syl’s still a little shaken because of what happened to her mother.” Kat explained, and realization crossed Colette’s face before she smiled sympathetically at me.

“I should have realized, sorry, Sylvia.” Colette apologized gently.

I shrugged my shoulders, leaning away from Jake to wipe my eyes with the corner of my sleeve. Removing my hand from my eyes I smiled lightly at her.

“Hey, Coley?” Kat asked suddenly, gaining her sister’s attention.

The black haired young adult turned her brown eyes on her sister, nodding as a gesture for Kat to continue to speak.

“Can we all go for a sleepover at Jake’s house for the weekend?” Kat questioned, and I threw her a questioning glance, which Kat ignored.

“Yeah, because you totally already asked me...” Jake told her sarcastically, giving her a ‘I guess my opinion whether or not I want you in my house, isn’t important’ look.

“I don’t know, sis, I doubt mom will be too comfortable with the idea of you sleeping over at a boy’s house.” Colette replied, causing Kat to moan.

“Coley… Sylvia’s Jake’s girlfriend, so, there’s nothing going on between Jake and I.” Kat told her sister, deadpanned.

Colette eyed the three of us carefully, before sighing.

“Alright, but, be back tomorrow by five, alright? Oh, and you’re explaining this to mom, because I’m not taking the rap for you.” Kat’s sister gave in.

Kat nodded, before running upstairs to get her stuff. Most of my stuff was already in duffle bags that were still by the door, so, I didn’t need to grab anything.

When Kat returned, she was carrying a backpack, and she received a kiss on the forehead from her sister before grabbing mine and Jake’s hands and dragging us towards the door.

I picked up one of my bags, and Jake grabbed a few of them as well.

There were three, and Jake, being the gentleman that he is, carried two, whereas I carried one. I didn’t bring much from my mother’s house, seeing as I knew that I could go back and get stuff whenever I wanted.

Mom had left the house to be in her will, so, it was mine until I was eighteen, then I could either live in it or sell it.

We walked outside where Jake’s truck, a semi-new, black, Ford F150, was parked. We had driven it here, well, Jake had driven it. Kat and I only had our learner’s; Jake had his full license, so, he was the driver.

Kat climbed into the backseat and I climbed into the passenger, while Jake sat in the driver’s seat and started up the truck.

The truck rumbled and Jake started to drive towards his father’s house.

His father was away for the weekend, so we had the house to ourselves, not that it was much of a good thing. Because of Jake’s father’s lack of cleaning skills, the place was a dump.

“So, Kat, uhm… why are we going to Jake’s? Not that I have a problem with it, of course, just… why?” I inquired, and Kat smiled.

“Well, I was thinking that tomorrow we could investigate this ‘Ariel’ girl that you’re talking about. I saw her, and she unnerves me.” Kat explained.

I nodded, smiling over at her.

“Alright, we’re playing detectives tomorrow!” Jake cheered, to which I laughed lightly at him, as he looked over at me and flashed me one of his boyish smiles.

The rest of the ride we talked about random things, most of it focusing around Ariel and Jonathan, until we arrived at Jake’s house.

We all climbed out of the car and followed Jake up to the house.

“Excuse the mess… again.” Jake muttered darkly, as we walked into the small, cramped, and hoarded house.

I smirked a little while Kat snickered.

Jake rolled his eyes at the two of us as we followed him into the living room, where he sat down heavily on the couch.

I moved some dirty clothes that were taking up my seat, and sat down at his side.

“You two can sleep in the guest room.” Jake told, grabbing the remote and flicking his wrist in the direction of the flat screen.

The television turned on, showing some rerun of an old TV show.

“You two can stay up, I’m going to sleep. I’m tired… it’s been a long day.” I announced, yawning slightly and rubbing my eyes.

Jake leaned over and kissed my cheek, and Kat gave me a hug before I stood up and walked into the bedroom, though, not before I grabbed my purse and one of my bags.

I changed quickly once I got into the bedroom, before crawling under the covers. At least this room was clean, as it was never used. This room and Jake’s room were the only rooms in this house that were relatively clean.

Reaching into my purse, I pulled out my laptop and opened it, quickly typing in my address, which was my astrological sign followed by my birthstone; LibraOpal, before my laptop loaded and immediately my Skype made that little noise, signaling I got a message.

Elizabeth: Sylvia! There you are, I’ve been waiting for you!

Elizabeth was one of my closest friends, my best friend, actually, and was worried about me a lot. Smirking lightly, I stretched my singers before typing in my reply.

Sylvia: Waiting for me like the loyal puppy that you are.

Elizabeth: You know it. I’m so sorry about your mom.

Sylvia: Everyone is.

Elizabeth: Hang on, I’m creating a group convo, Gavin and Loretta want to talk to you as well. Gimme a sec.

Sighing, I waited a moment before a group convo popped up, and clicking on it, I opened it up to find it was with my three best friends, besides Jake and Kat.

Loretta: Syl! How’re you doing?

Elizabeth: She’s fine... I think :P

Loretta: Wasn’t asking you, NOOB

Elizabeth: DID YOU JUST CALL ME NOOB *feigns offence*

Loretta: LOL

Sylvia: You two make me smile lol

Elizabeth: We’re glad! We are here to cheer you up!

Loretta: Yeah! Hey, where’s Gavin?

Elizabeth: Idk I added him.

Loretta: GAVIN!

Loretta: WHERE ARE YOU!

Elizabeth: GAAAAVVVIINNN!

Laughing, I decided to join in, curious as to what our dear friend Gavin was up to, when he should be talking to a bunch of girls that were being oddballs.

Sylvia: GAVIN!!!!!

Gavin: EVERYBODY SHUDDDUPPPP! I’M PLAYING HALO 4!!!!!!

Elizabeth: Fine -.- Buttnugget

Loretta: Video Game Nerd! You should be comforting your friend!

Gavin: Sylvia, I’m sorry for you loss, I seriously am, and I would be happy to comfort you after I finish this one campaign!

Elizabeth: -.-

Loretta: -.-

Sylvia: Lol alright, Gavin, I know how much your video games mean to you. I’m actually going to go to bed guys. I’ll talk to you all later?

Elizabeth: Awe... but, I guess it’s been a long day for you, huh? Okay, nightie night, then! TTYL!

Loretta: Yup! Talk to ya later, sistah from another mistah!

Gavin: Night, Syl!

Sylvia: Byie, guys.

Smirking and shaking my head, I closed my laptop and placed it on the bedside table, sighing softly as I fell back onto the pillows and quickly fell asleep.

I tossed and turned in my sleep, my dreams focusing on my death at the hands of Ariel.

I finally woke up, panting and shaking, as I glanced over at the digital clock on the bedside table.

3: 57 AM.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

I frowned, feeling something dripping onto my forehead.

I reached up and wiped some of it away, before bringing my hand down. From the soft light of the digital clock, I could see that my fingers were coated in crimson.

My eyes widened and I reached over to the light on the bedside table and I flicked it on, before looking up and screaming.