Sequel: OuR BeAuTiFuL MaDnEsS
Status: Completed and Soon to be Published

Our Perfect Insanity

Chapter Nineteen

ChApTeR NiNeTeEn

“Some people are so afraid do die that they never begin to live.”
~Henry Van Dyke

We walked outside and across the lawn, stopping beside Jake’s truck.

Jake dug out his keys and was about to unlock his car when he was stopped by a firm hand on his shoulder. Jake looked up at Jonathan, who shook his head.

“No, it’s not safe to trust that Ariel didn’t rig your truck. She could have easily wired it to explode when it starts.” Jonathan told Jake, who frowned and looked over at his truck.

“The bitch wired my truck?” Jake asked, and I snickered lightly, while Jake looked quite pissed off.

“It’s highly possible. It’s not safe to trust it; we’d better take my car.” Jonathan told us, and turned, walking over to an old garage on the side of the house.

He opened the doors, revealing a sleek, black Mercedes.

“Whoa… nice car.” I breathed, and Jonathan smirked over at me.

He opened the driver’s side door and climbed in, and I dashed to the passenger seat, leaving Jake to sit in the back.

Jake grumbled under his breath as he climbed into the back, he was muttering about how unfair it was that he was not getting to drive and that he was having to sit in the back.

I laughed lightly.

“Cheer up, Jakey.” I giggled, and Jake threw me a glare, that only made me giggle more.

I could see Jonathan smirking at Jake’s reaction to the nickname.

“You know I hate that name! You know I hate it, yet, you always find it amusing to call me it! Why?!” Jake exclaimed, flailing his arms.

I giggled lightly, waving the question away lightly and smiling at Jake’s annoyed expression.

“It’s funny, that’s why. Your reaction, that is.” I laughed, and Jake glared at me before crossing his arms with a huff.

“I know how you feel, kid. When I was younger, and even in university, everyone used to call me ‘Johnny Boy’. It annoyed the Hell out of me, yet, people kept calling me by that name, no matter how much they knew I hated it.” Jonathan admitted, and I giggled.

“Johnny Boy.” I snickered, to which Jonathan shot me an annoyed look, rolling his dark green eyes.

I smiled and looked out the window; we were now on a gravel road on the outskirts of the city. It was still dark out, and glancing at the clock on the dashboard I found that it was 4: 47 am. I sighed as I looked out the window, resting my head against the cool glass.

It was only just over an hour ago I had found my best friend dead, hanging from the ceiling above me. How did things change so much?

“I can’t believe all this is happening to us. I mean… everything used to be so normal. I used to have my mother and my best friend… now they’re both dead… because of that evil woman.” I mumbled quietly, and Jonathan glanced over at me.

“I know how you feel… I fought to save my daughter and your mother from Ariel, but, in the end, I watched them be killed. If only I had-“

“Look out!” I exclaimed, cutting him off, and Jonathan’s eyes widened at the sight of the figure standing on the dark road.

The car swerved, driving off the road and into the ditch. I screamed, and tried to shield myself, squeezing my eyes shut.

I gasped in pain and managed to open my eyes, seeing that the car had flipped. The front windshield was smashed, and the seatbelt was holding me in my seat. I tried to get out of the car, but cried out in pain.

Something was crushing my chest, I couldn’t move without pain.

I looked up to the road, trying to see if whoever we had narrowly missed hitting, was coming down to help us. My eyes widened in horror, as I saw the silhouette of the woman, her different colored eyes glinting through the darkness.

It was Ariel. She hadn’t moved, she was just standing up at the road, looking down at the car that was smashed in the ditch, half hidden in the trees.

I choked slightly, feeling blood seep through my parted lips.

“J-Jon-athan? J-Jake?” I choked, and I heard movement from my side, and then a soft thump.

I couldn’t turn my head, but, out of the corner of my eye, I saw that Jonathan had managed to unclip his seatbelt, and had fallen to the roof of the car.

“Sylvia, are you alright?” Jonathan asked, his voice hoarse and he crawled over to me, fumbling with the seatbelt.

“No... I- I d-don’t think s-so… it h-hurts…” I choked, feeling more blood drip from my mouth.

Jonathan looked at me, worried, and kept fumbling with the seatbelt and whatever was crushing my chest; I assume it was the dashboard.

“N-No… stop. F-Free… free J-Jake f-first… please…” I begged, and Jonathan looked to the back of the car, to where Jake was sitting, though I couldn’t see it.

Jonathan’s eyes saddened and he looked over at me, looking as though he was about to say something, but thought better of it.

He climbed back, and I heard him moving.

The blood was rushing to my head, and I was getting dizzy.

After a minute or two, Jonathan crawled back to the front and continued to try and help free me. I watched him for a minute before opening my mouth and coughing lightly, before managing to speak.

“W-What about J-Jake…? I-Is he a-alright?” I asked, my voice weak.

Jonathan looked over at me, his eyes sad, and he shook his head. I felt my heart begin to pound, and I almost fell unconscious but, managed to stay awake.

“He… he didn’t survive the collision… I’m sorry...” Jonathan said quietly, and my eyes brimmed with tears.

“No… n-not him t-too… no…” I whispered, the tears falling down my cheeks.

Jonathan looked devastated as he tried to unclip the seatbelt.

“I’m so sorry…” Jonathan said quietly.

I heard a click, but, then nothing was holding me up and I fell down, only to be caught my Jonathan. His strong arms held me against him, and I whimpered, pain spreading through me.

“We have to get away from here; Ariel’s watching the car…” I whimpered, and Jonathan looked out the window up towards the road, looking alarmed.

He pulled my up into his arms and opened the door on the side that Ariel couldn’t see.

“You’re in no fit state to move, I’ll have to carry you. We have to get out of here, but, I doubt we’ll have much luck doing it without Ariel knowing.” Jonathan told me, his voice barely above a whisper.

Jonathan crawled to the door of the car, helping me with him, while I whimpered in pain, and clutched onto his shirt.

“We’ll have to try at least… but, what’ll we do if she catches us?” I whispered, my voice quiet as I peered up at him, scared.

Jonathan looked nervously towards where Ariel still stood, watching the car, before looking back down at me.

“I have no idea… we’ll figure something out if she does spot us.” Jonathan muttered, and then crawled from the car and into the trees surrounding us.

Once we were under cover, Jonathan stood up, clutching me close to him, and started to run quickly through the trees, before I paled, frightened, as I heard a shriek of anger.

Ariel had seen us.