Sequel: OuR BeAuTiFuL MaDnEsS
Status: Completed and Soon to be Published

Our Perfect Insanity

Chapter Twenty One

ChApTeR TwEnTy OnE

“'Tis very certain the desire of life prolongs it.”
~Lord Byron

Everything was dark.

It felt as though there was a heavy weight on my chest, crushing my lungs and forcing my breathing to be labored and rasping.

I couldn’t open my eyes; they felt as though they were glued shut.

My lips twitched and I tried to say something, cry for help, gain someone’s attention, but, all that I managed to get through was a pathetic whimper.

I heard movement at my side, before someone lightly brushed a few strands of hair away from my eyes and gently took my hand.

“Sylvia...?”

I found myself searching my mind for the owner of the voice. I knew who it was, I couldn’t find the name, though... Jake? No… older.

“Sylvia? Can you hear me?”

The voice spoke again, and slowly I figured out who it was.

My mind was so slow right now, and everything was blurry around the edges. My throat was sore and my lips were cracked, but, I managed to open them, with much difficulty, and speak.

“J-Jon-athan…?” I choked, and he gently squeezed my hand, before removing it to lightly brush a few more strands of hair from my face.

“Yes… how are you feeling? Can you open your eyes?” Jonathan questioned quietly, and after a moment, I managed to open my eyes, but, I cringed at the brightness of lights and shut them quickly again.

Jonathan chuckled.

“It’s not funny… it’s really bright…” I whimpered, and slowly opened my eyes again, keeping them open until they adjusted to the harsh lighting.

I looked over and soon found Jonathan’s familiar face looking down at me.

“Are you feeling alright? I wasn’t sure if you were… if you were going to make it or not…” Jonathan admitted softly.

I looked over at him, with what I expected to be a quizzical expression on my face.

I moved my arms, propping myself up on my elbows before I pushed myself up, trying to sit up. My body had other plans; I would have collapsed back down heavily if it weren’t for Jonathan.

“Carefully, Sylvia, you’re seriously weak.” Jonathan told me, and frowned as he slowly helped me to sit up.

I sighed and winced as I moved my sore muscles, stretching and yawning at the same time.

“How long was I asleep...?” I questioned, looking over at Jonathan, wondering if Ariel had tried to attack while I was asleep.

Jonathan shuffled slightly awkwardly from foot to foot before looking at me over the rim of his glasses. I frowned at him, what was he hiding from me?

“What is it, Jonathan?” I inquired, and he bit his lip slightly before answering me.

“Well… you weren’t... sleeping...” Jonathan told me slowly.

I frowned, raising an eyebrow at him. What on Earth was he talking about? What did he mean by that?

“What do you mean, Jonathan? Of course I was sleeping. I just woke up, did I not?” I asked him, and Jonathan shook his head, adjusting his glasses, which had fallen slightly, before he sighed.

“True, you did wake up, but, not from sleeping. You had a concussion, and you fell into a coma for three days.” Jonathan explained.

I simply stared at him in shock with wide eyes.

“...really? I was in a coma?” I repeated, shocked.

Jonathan gave me a small, weak smile and nodded his head.

“Wait, so you’re trying to tell me, that I was out of action for three days, and Ariel didn’t try to attack?” I questioned, and Jonathan bit his lip again and looked towards the balcony doors, before he sighed.

“She did try to attack you, but, I got in her way. She was here just before you woke up, she’s very angry...” Jonathan explained, and I nodded. That would be expected, of course.

Jonathan wouldn’t let her kill me and she won’t harm him to get to me.

“But... why didn’t she attack me while you were asleep?” I questioned, and Jonathan smirked at me.

“I haven’t slept, that’s why. Couldn’t risk it.” Jonathan said, causing me to frown.

Only now that I really looked at him, I could see that his eyes were slightly dull, and they had dark circles underneath them from sleep deprivation.

“Oh, Jonathan, you didn’t have to do that. Uhm... why don’t you get some sleep now, hm? I’ll keep watch for Ariel.” I offered, and Jonathan seemed to hesitate for a moment, before he yawned and seemed to give in, nodding his head.

“Thanks, Sylvia.” Jonathan said, getting to his feet and walking over to the couch.

I smirked and watched as Jonathan collapsed onto the couch, and was out within seconds.

I sighed and looked around the dark apartment, hoping Ariel wasn’t anywhere near. I really was not in the mood to see that horrid woman; she had caused me enough grief for one lifetime.