Sequel: OuR BeAuTiFuL MaDnEsS
Status: Completed and Soon to be Published

Our Perfect Insanity

Chapter Twenty Three

ChApTeR TwEnTy ThReE

“We cannot banish dangers, but, we can banish fears. We must not demean life by standing in awe of death.”
~David Sarnoff

“I still can’t believe no one said anything, or called the cops or... or something!”

Sylvia exclaimed this as we walked inside the apartment again, each carrying two bags of food and other necessities.

“Did you want them to?” I challenged, raising an eyebrow in her direction.

Sylvia shook her head quickly.

“No, no of course not! I was just… shocked, that’s all… I expected someone to recognize you; after all, ever since my mother and your daughter were found dead, you’ve been all over the papers and the news.” Sylvia explained, and I frowned.

“I wasn’t aware of that… so, everyone thinks of me now, as a murderer?” I questioned, and Sylvia shrugged, pulling a jug of milk out of a bag and opening the fridge, placing it inside.

“Yeah, I suppose so. Do you not remember anything from when you were under Ariel’s control?” Sylvia inquired, tolting her head to the side as she looked at me curiously.

I frowned again, sighing and pinching the bridge of my nose.

I don’t remember anything, that’s the problem. If only I could remember something that Ariel told me. She must have told me something, a plan or something… she was going to go after Sylvia, and I know she had a plan, I just can’t remember what.

“Jonathan? Jonathan, hello…? Hello?! Jonathan! Wakey, wakey!”

Sylvia’s voice snapped me out of my musings, and I looked over at her, rather startled by her annoying attempt to ‘wake me up’.

“That was actually kind of scary… I thought you were having some kind of episode… you just like spaced out there. Are you okay?” Sylvia questioned, concerned, and I nodded my head, shaking the hair out of my eyes and fitting my glasses back on my face.

“I’m fine, I was just… thinking…” I trailed off, taking to putting the groceries away once more. Sylvia watched me for a moment, before she went back to putting everything away again.

I found myself watching her as she put the groceries away. She’s so much like her mother; I can see it in her every second.

I obviously didn’t care for Sylvia in the way I did for her mother, that would just be plain wrong. But, I did care for Sylvia.

Like I had told those gang members, Sylvia almost seemed like a daughter to me.

Maybe, if I had been able to save Kathryn, if this whole thing with Ariel had been settled, then maybe Sylvia could have actually become my step-daughter?

If only I hadn’t failed to save Kathryn.

If only I hadn’t failed to save June.

How would our lives have turned out, if they were still alive? What if Ariel had chosen someone else to become obsessed with?

“Jonathan? You’re spacing out again!” Sylvia exclaimed, and I felt her hands gripping my shoulders as she shook me gently.

I snapped out of my thoughts to look down at her, and she was looking up at me with a bemused expression.

“Sorry, Sylvia, I’m just mulling over my thoughts. No need to worry.” I told her, running a hand through my hair as I yawned.

Sylvia looked over at me and smiled at she put a box of cereal away in the cupboard.

“Tired?” She asked, and I nodded my head wearily.

It seems that even though I had slept last night, I was still tired from staying awake those three days while Sylvia was in a coma. I rubbed my eyes blearily and smiled over at her.

“Do you want to go to sleep?” Sylvia questioned, and I smirked at her.

“Well, that all depends, are you going to stay awake this time?” I asked, and Sylvia pouted, blushing lightly.

“That was an accident; I told you I was sorry. I was tired too, that’s all. I’m not tired now, so I’m sure I can stay awake.” Sylvia told me, and I chuckled, smiling at her.

“Relax, Sylvia, I was only teasing. I’m sure you can stay awake if you put your mind to it.” I told her as I walked over to the couch and collapsed down onto it.

I looked at Sylvia over the back of the couch to find her putting away the rest of the groceries.

Yawning, I relaxed into the couch, shifting before I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep. I don’t know how long I was asleep for, but, suddenly I heard a pounding noise, and felt someone shaking my arms quickly and rather roughly.

“Jonathan! Jonathan, wake up! We need to get out of here!”

Sylvia’s voice called to me, and I opened my eyes to find it was her who was shaking me.

I heard another pounding at the door, and sat up quickly, alarmed.

“Police! Open up!” A male’s voice shouted from outside the door, and my eyes widened.

Damn, they’ve found us!

“Come on, Sylvia, we’ve got to escape. This isn’t good, the police still think I’m responsible for those murders, and I think they might be under the impression that you’re responsible for your friend’s murder and Jake’s as well.” I told her quickly.

Sylvia’s eyes filled with tears.

“But, I didn’t kill them! I wouldn’t kill my best friend, and I wouldn’t kill my boyfriend either!” Sylvia exclaimed, and I nodded in understanding before looking quickly to the door as another heavy pounding sounded from the other side.

Sylvia looked towards the door as well, worry written across her features.

“The police don’t know that, do they? Now, come on, we’ve got to get out of here!” I hissed, jumping up off the couch and grabbing Sylvia’s wrist.

“Open up!” The man’s voice hollered again from the opposite side of the door, and I dragged Sylvia to the balcony, pushing open the doors and pulling her out into the cold, night air.

I didn’t even have the chance to check what time it was, but, I suspected around three in the morning. Couldn’t the cops wait until like… ten or something?

“Wait, what the Hell do you think you’re doing?!” Sylvia exclaimed, and I threw her a look before glancing down at the cop cars below, their sirens ablaze.

“I know what I’m doing.” I replied coldly, before grabbing Sylvia’s wrist.

I dragged her with me to the side of the balcony, from which I could jump to the roof of the next apartment building.

It was a long jump… but, I was sure I could make it. Dragging Sylvia close behind, I climbed up on to the banister, but, was held back when she wouldn’t do the same.

I turned back to her when she slipped out of my grip.

“Sylvia, come on, this is our only chance!” I told her, and Sylvia looked scared.

Hesitantly, she climbed up onto the banister and looked over at me.

“You go first.” She ordered, and I nodded my head.

Taking a deep breath, I flung myself forwards, arms outstretched, and grabbed onto the edge of the next building. Pulling myself up, I looked back to Sylvia, who looked scared at the jump.

“Come on, Sylvia, quickly!” I told her, and she looked up at me.

I could see the fear in her eyes as she calculated the distance between herself, and the roof of the building that I was kneeling on.

“If I die, I’ll kill you!” Sylvia shouted at me, and I had to hold back a smirk as I nodded.

Sylvia took a deep breath, and jumped. Her fingertips grazed the ledge of the roof, before they slipped.

Sylvia shrieked, but, luckily for her, I grabbed her wrists and hauled her up onto the ledge before she could fall to her death. Sylvia was shaking as I pulled her to her feet, and watched as the cops ran out onto the balcony.

Ducking, I made sure that we were unseen; before I turned and ran across the roves, making sure we remained unspotted as we made our escape.