Sequel: OuR BeAuTiFuL MaDnEsS
Status: Completed and Soon to be Published

Our Perfect Insanity

Chapter Thirty Two

ChApTeR ThIrTy TwO

“The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.”
~H. P. Lovecraft

It had been a few hours since Elizabeth, Gavin, and Loretta had shown up, and, since then, it had gotten late, and we had somewhat settled down.

I believe we were attempting to sleep. If that was possible to do here.

Ariel hadn’t shown up. It had been peaceful... quiet, even, if you ignore, of course, the bickering between Rosalie and Elizabeth.

The two seemed to dislike each other more then Rosalie and I disliked each other.

Though, currently, Rosalie was asleep in Nathaniel’s lap, who was asleep in one of the large armchairs near the window.

Jonathan was in another one, asleep as well, his glasses slightly askew from having fallen asleep in them, and his hair falling into his eyes. I smirked before looking at Elizabeth.

She had fallen asleep beside me, with her head resting on my shoulder, her light brown hair hiding half her face.

I was the only one awake.

Loretta was actually sprawled on the floor, completely out of it, whereas Gavin was sitting on the floor, his back against the couch, his head resting against the cushion behind him.

Taking a deep breath, I looked around the living room, examining the peeling dark red wallpapers and the dusty floors and furniture.

I wonder if the rest of the house is like this?

On that thought, I gently moved Elizabeth off my shoulder, doing my best as I tried, and succeeded, in moving her without waking her.

Setting her back down, I stood up before slowly making my way out of the room.

Stepping into the hallway, I looked around, examining the ‘haunted house’ like atmosphere in distaste. Usually I loved these types of houses, the ones that sent chills down your spine, but, knowing my mother was murdered here, changed my view of it.

Dragging my hand along the railing as I did this, I walked up the stairs and onto the second floor of the house, looking around curiously.

The more I explore, the more I feel like Ariel’s going to appear and murder me.

Brushing the thought away, I hesitatingly made my way down the hall, peeking into the rooms, seeing nothing but old, dust covered furniture.

That was, at least, until I saw the door at the end of the hall.

It was opened just barely a crack, and, light was shining through, I was sure of it. Either that, or my eyes were deceiving me, I honestly didn’t know.

Pausing, I’m sure all the blood drained from my face as I heard the eerie voice echo.

“Hush, little baby, don’t say a word, mama’s going to buy you a mockingbird... and if that mocking bird don’t sing, mama’s going to buy you a diamond ring...”

That was Ariel’s voice, it wasn’t hard to recognize, but, I couldn’t help but wonder; who was she singing to?

Ariel didn’t have a child, God forbid her to, the child would surely suffer and see things no child should ever have to see.

Taking a quiet, shaking breath, I stepped towards the door, my fingertips brushing the icy cold door handle as I listened to the chilling voice echo from the room.

“...and if that diamond ring turns brass, mama’s going to buy you a looking glass... and if that looking glass gets broke, mama’s going to-”

Her voice stopped, suddenly, causing my heart to stop as well.

“You should know, Sylvia, you can’t sneak up on me... certainly not in my own house...” Ariel’s sinister voice spoke quietly, and, without my help, the door swung open.

Trembling, I stepped inside the room, the only thing lighting it was the light from the moon, shining through the window and illuminating the room, which, had obviously been what caught my eye through the crack of the door.

The first thing I noticed, was not Ariel, no, it was the old crib that was underneath the large window. There was no child in it, only an old stuffed teddy bear.

Ariel, was what I noticed next.

She was sitting quietly on the window seat, her head resting against the glass as her eyes bore into mine with a malicious look glinting in them.

“I want to know what you’re all doing here...” She told me quietly.

I narrowed my eyes at her, shaking my head.

“Who were you singing to? There’s no child here...” I inquired, not answering her question with an answer but instead a question of my own.

Ariel said nothing, though, I noticed her hands resting on her lap in a way, almost, as if she was shielding her stomach.

Then it clicked.

Ariel twitched as she read my expression, her eyes flickering down to the ground, she seemed almost... scared, something that frightened me.

“You... you’re not... that’s not possible...” I shook my head, refusing to believe this.

“I had Jonathan under my power for two weeks between the night I killed your mother, and the night you stole him back... you really didn’t think I was practicing abstinence with him when I had him willing? You’re more stupid then I thought...” She muttered, shaking her head.

I merely stood there, in shock, and Ariel gave me an annoyed look as she tucked a strand of her black hair behind her ear.

“I’m going to kill you...” I told her, trembling.

At this, she smiled.

“You wont, now that you know this. You may think you can, Sylvia, but, you wont kill me knowing you’ll kill a child as well...” Ariel told me, her voice calm, yet, vicious.

“I... I...” I trembled, not knowing what to say.

“You’re not going to tell Jonathan this.” Ariel told me firmly, causing me to stare at her for a moment before narrowing my eyes.

“Oh? Why wouldn’t I?” I inquired.

“Because, if you keep my secret, I’ll give you back something I stole from you.” She offered, causing me to tilt my head to the side, examining her carefully.

“What did you take from me...?” I asked slowly, to which Ariel grinned, showing off her sharp and jagged teeth as she responded.

“Your dear, precious Jake...”