Sequel: OuR BeAuTiFuL MaDnEsS
Status: Completed and Soon to be Published

Our Perfect Insanity

Chapter Thirty Four

ChApTeR ThIrTy FoUr

“Murder is unique in that it abolishes the party it injures, so that society has to take the place of the victim and on his behalf demand atonement or grant forgiveness; it is the one crime in which society has a direct interest.”
~W.H. Auden

Jonathan’s eyes were level with Ariel’s as he stared blankly at her.

His expression didn’t waver, nor show any fear, and I think it unnerved Ariel slightly, as I saw she recoiled a bit, looking wary.

“Why?” Jonathan breathed finally, shaking his head.

“...why what?” Ariel replied slowly, looking slightly confused even though I was sure she had an idea as to what Jonathan was talking about.

Jonathan crossed his arms over his chest, looking over at Jake and I sadly before turning his attention back to Ariel.

“Why would you do this? What purpose could you have to cause everyone so much pain? I don’t believe you when you say you only did this for ‘love’. Why?” Jonathan interrogated, taking a step towards Ariel, who frowned.

“I told you...” She murmured, causing Jonathan to shake his head.

“I don’t believe what you’ve told me... why do you want love so badly? why do you try to get it this way?”

Ariel looked at him almost sadly, before she shook her head, her expression turning bitter.

“I... I love you...” Ariel told him weakly.

This was seemingly all she could think of to say, though, Jonathan, in response, merely shook his head once more.

“You don’t, Ariel, you don’t. You kill people to get love, well, that’s not how it works.” Jonathan growled.

Ariel trembled, staring at him as her eyes darkened.

“You won’t win. I won’t let you! You will give in, Sylvia wont take you away from me again... I don’t want you to leave.” Ariel told him, her voice held anger, yet, also a hint of fear.

She was afraid of losing him.

“Well, he’s going to be leaving with us, once we kill you, you psycho bitch.” Elizabeth told her, smirking as Ariel turned to snarl t her, though this didn’t even seem to phase my friend.

“You watch your tongue, girl!” Ariel sneered.

She moved, taking a step towards Elizabeth, but, Jonathan quickly walked forwards, approaching Ariel, who tensed, looking up at him warily.

We all knew she wouldn’t hurt him. Not purpously, of course.

Jonathan’s eyes were glittering as he took Ariel’s hands in his, sighing softly as he looked into her mismatched eyes as Elizabeth, Jake and I watched curiously.

Even Ariel seemed confused, possibly due to the fact that Jonathan didn’t appear to be angry at her. Though, I knew he had something planned.

The question is; what? What was the doctor going to do?

Jonathan looked Ariel evenly in the eyes as he reached his hand up to gently caress her cheek, and Ariel blinked slightly before she smiled weakly.

Clearly all she wanted to be happy, was his attention.

He moved his hand to the back of her neck, gently pulling her closer to him. The thing Ariel didn’t notice though, was the blade that he removed discretely from his sleeve.

I suppressed a gasp, knowing what Jonathan had planned now.

I had to bite back my tongue, I wanted, so badly, to warn Jonathan not to kill Ariel, due to the fact that it was also killing his child, even though he didn’t know about this.

Though, I couldn’t. Ariel had killed so many people, and, she was only getting what she deserved for her actions.

Even if it meant killing an innocent child...

Jonathan pulled Ariel closer to him, leaning down so his lips were brushing her ear, causing her to close her eyes in a content way.

Seeing as her eyes were closed, she didn’t notice how Jonathan moved the blade in his hand to the front of her neck.

Then, he paused.

I could tell by the look in his eyes that he was hesitating, I knew that, even though he might not want to admit it, like me, he felt somewhat sympathetic for her.

Even though he didn’t know as much as I knew, he knew all she wanted was love.

Taking a soft, shaking breath, he looked down at her as he spoke softly into her ear, his voice barely loud enough for me to hear.

“...I’m sorry.”

Ariel’s eyes opened just as the blade pressed against her flesh, the skin splitting underneath the metal, dark blood falling as her wide eyes stared.

No one made a sound and she collapsed.

Jonathan wrapped his arms around her to keep her from hitting the floor, though, her eyes were still open, focused on him as her face went even more pale.

“I... I’m sorry...” Jonathan breathed, his voice sounding sincere even though his expression was blank, expressionless.

Ariel’s stunned, fearful expression flickered to one that clearly read hatred, as she gave him an accusing look before her eyes fell closed, and Jonathan lowered himself to the ground, still holding her in his arms and looking blank.

I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know what I could say.

Was it really over?

In a way, I know Jonathan must feel terrible. It effected you, to take a life, it changed people, and I know that, using her love for him, to get close enough to kill her, made him feel guilty.

“Jonathan...?” I breathed quietly.

He didn’t seem to acknowledge me for a moment, before, his dark green eyes slowly flickered to me as I watched him carefully.

“You... you did what you had to do, Jonathan...” I told him softly.

Jonathan merely nodded as Elizabeth, silent, came over to sit beside Jake and I, looking stunned, an emotion that I felt and Jake was showing as well.

Looking over at Jonathan as well, I couldn’t help but notice how... broken, almost, that he looked, causing me to sigh lightly.

This had all taken such a toll on all of us, especially him.

“Jonathan...” I murmured, earning his attention again as he looked over at me.

“It’s over... it’s over, Jonathan.” I assured him.

He gave me a blank look for a minute, as if it took a few seconds for my words to sink in, before, the edges of his lips curled up into a light smile and he nodded his head.

Looking down at the still, and forever silent form or Ariel that he was still holding in his arms, he repeated my words, his voice sounding relieved.

“...it’s over.”