Sequel: OuR BeAuTiFuL MaDnEsS
Status: Completed and Soon to be Published

Our Perfect Insanity

Chapter Eight

ChApTeR EiGhT

“I have, indeed, no abhorrence of danger, except in its absolute effect - in terror.”
~Edgar Allan Poe

I stood there, still frightened, and clutching the hysterical little girl closer to me.

This was getting out of control, Ariel was attempting to kill everyone close to me, I couldn't let that happen, I didn't want anyone else to get hurt.

I shook my head and walked over to the phone, picking it up with a shaking hand and dialing Kathryn's number. Holding the phone up to my ear, I waited a minute, before I heard Kathryn's voice answer.

"Hello?" She greeted.

I sighed as I felt what seemed like fire sear through the wounds on my back.

"Kathryn, I… I need you to help me…" I said weakly, leaning heavily against the table as I felt myself becoming weak from the blood loss.

There was a brief period of silence from the other line, before she replied.

"What happened, Jonathan? Was it... was it Ariel?"

I swallowed nervously, looking down at June, who looked terrified, before replying.

"Please… just come over as quickly as you can and... and bring some medical supplies, please…?" I questioned weakly into the receiver.

"Alright, Jonathan… I'll be right there." She said.

I sighed.

I held the still crying June close to me as I walked slowly over to my armchair, careful to stay away from where Ariel had been sitting on the couch.

"It’s okay, sweetie… it’s okay…" I murmured to June, as I collapsed into the chair.

I sighed, closing my eyes as my back throbbed in pain. Everything was getting hard to comprehend from the amount of blood loss I had sustained, and I felt myself falling into unconsciousness.

I heard pounding at the door, which pulled me out of unconsciousness, but only briefly.

I tried to get up, but, I couldn't find the strength to. My back felt wet, and cold, I knew it was because of the wounds and the blood, that was caused by Ariel.

"Daddy? Daddy, please..."

I heard June's voice, she was shaking me gently.

I heard a bang, and then what sounded like a door slamming against a wall.

Then, I heard footsteps running towards us.

"Jonathan?! Jonathan! Oh, dear God..."

I recognized that voice as Kathryn's, and I opened my eyes slightly to find her at my side, her hands on my shoulders.

She had been shaking me, but I couldn't even feel it.

"Jonathan, please... stay with me, don't die! Jonathan, please!" Kathryn exclaimed, and I could see tears gathering in her eyes.

It was getting hard to breath, and everything was getting dark.

I sighed, and everything faded to black.

It was all dark when I found myself waking up again, and I heard peoples’ voices all around me. I couldn't think. I was in too much pain.

Where is June? Kathryn? What is going on? What’s happening?

"Jonathan? Jonathan, stay with me…"

I recognized that voice as Kathryn's, and I felt her take my hand.

She sounded like she was crying, so in an attempt to make her feel better, I weakly squeezed her hand.

I heard her gasp, and then laugh weakly in relief.

"Jonathan, can you hear me? It’s alright. I'm here with June; no one's going to hurt you… the doctors are going to help, just stay with us..." Kathryn told me, and I gripped her hand again.

I passed out again after that, it was either because of blood loss, or the doctors had given me a sedative.

The next time I woke up, I opened my eyes to find myself in a bright, white room.

I sighed, and closed my eyes, feeling incredibly weak. I was alone in the room, or so I thought.

I froze when I felt a cool hand gently wrap around mine.

I opened my eyes, looking beside me to find Ariel at my bedside, her eyes sad.

"What are you doing here?" I growled weakly, attempting to tear my hand away from hers, but, I couldn’t move. I felt weak, and drained.

Ariel looked over at me, her lower lip trembling as tears burnt in her eyes.

"I didn't mean to hurt you, Jonathan… please believe me." She begged, and I growled slightly, watching her through narrowed eyes.

"I know you weren't trying to kill me! You were trying to kill my daughter, after you killed my ex-wife!" I hissed.

Ariel's sad eyes suddenly turned angry and dark, and her hand tightened around mine, to the point where I winced in pain.

"You should have let me kill her!" Ariel growled.

I glared.

Suddenly, Ariel lunged forwards, and her lips crashed onto mine.

I gasped, but, I couldn't pull away.

I wanted to, but, I was so weak I couldn’t move a muscle.

Ariel pulled away, and smiled down at me. I glared at her, and watched as she froze, her eyes getting a slight look of fear in them as the door to my room burst open.

"Get out of here now! Leave him alone!" A voice shrieked, and I turned to see Kathryn glaring at Ariel, who jumped away from me, letting out a growl.

She turned and stepped onto the windowsill before letting herself fall, but, I was sure the fall wouldn’t kill her, as she had some means of escape, besides; it was obviously where she had entered from.

Kathryn rushed over to my side.

"Thank God you're alright, Jonathan… she didn't hurt you, did she?" Kathryn asked, inspecting me for injuries, minus the ones I already had.

I tore my eyes away from the window to look over at her, finding she had tears swimming in her lovely hazel eyes.

"No… she didn't hurt me. I don't think she will... yet, anyways...." I murmured, and a confused look crossed Kathryn's face.

"But... I thought Ariel did that to your back..?" Kathryn asked, tilting her head to look at me curiously.

"She did. But, it was only because I turned around, when she was trying to kill June. Wait... where's June?" I asked, my calm expression turning to shock as I tried to sit up, only to hiss in pain and have Kathryn push me back against the bed.

"It’s alright, Jonathan, she's with a nurse. Everything's fine." Kathryn assured me, and I sighed, relaxing back against the sheets and feeling tears prickle in my eyes as everything crashed down on me.

Kathryn looked over at me with sad eyes and sighed.

"Shush, Jonathan, it’s alright." She tried to comfort me.

I sighed, looked over at her as she wiped away the tears that were falling down my cheeks. She gave me a gentle smile.

Kathryn hesitated before she leaned forwards, her lips pressing up against mine, though gently, unlike Ariel.

I sighed against her lips and allowed my hands to gently skim her waist, before wrapping my arms around her and tugging her gently towards me.

When Kathryn pulled away, I looked into her eyes and my heart sank, in fear of what was going to happen now.

"She's going to come after you now... you know that right?"

Kathryn smiled lightly, gently kissing me again.

"I know. I'm afraid… but, I know we'll find a way to stop her…"