Status: Slow But Steady Wins The Race

Forelsket

Elleve

“It’s about time you showed up.” I’d been sitting in Espresso News for over an hour. My tone was one of mock-aggravation though if I was being completely honest I didn’t really mind the wait. The uniquely crafted café smelled of coffee grounds and freshly baked muffins, and the relaxing music made it quite ideal for people watching.

“Well you know, Princess,” I cringed at his pet name. “When you want someone to be on time, it generally helps to give them a time.” He took off his light jacket and slumped it onto the back of the seat across from me before sitting down.

“We wouldn’t have to meet at all if you weren’t such a pain in my ass.” He leaned back in his seat a playful smirk dancing across his face.

“Is this how you treat all the boys, Princess? The question was rhetorical and he steamrolled past my interjection to his charming pet name and continued. “Because if my mother was right and girls are mean to boys they like then, by God, I must be your biggest crush!”

Seth really knew how to push my buttons and the heat rising to my face was, I’m sure, a huge indication of such. I wanted nothing more than to rip into him but I remembered my ultimate objective. “I’m going to go get something to drink. Here’s my laptop, start writing.” I pushed myself up from my seat and walked over to the bar and ordered. I didn’t really need coffee as much as I needed a second to collect myself before returning to the table. I needed to figure out how I was going to bring up the banner and Delta Chi and how I was going to refrain from table topping Seth into oblivion. It didn’t take long for my drink to come out and I took a deep breath before sitting back down in my seat.

‘Any luck?” I asked coolly as I watched him click away on my laptop. He didn’t look up.

“Well, I found some good sources online, but I don’t think we’ll be able to make much use of them.” I furrowed my brow and put down the drink I’d just been blowing on.

“Why is that?” His gaze kept flickering between my and the screen as he murmured a soft ‘hold on’. A few moments later he sat up straight and closed the laptop.

“Well I’m no computer expert, but I’d say that five percent remaining battery life isn’t enough to get much done on. And I don’t see a charger anywhere, unless you’re some sort of magician in which case I suppose you could be hiding one in the pockets of those tiny jeans you’re wearing.” I ignored the sarcasm dripping from his lips as my brow furrowed even more. I reached across the table abruptly and grabbed the computer, swinging it around and open towards me to inspect it myself. There’s no way it’s already dead. Wrong.

“But how—“ My thought trailed off as I desperately tried to lengthen the remaining battery life—closing all my applications, dimming the screen, you know, the works.

“Well if you want my opinion—“

“I don’t.” He ignored my interjection and continued, his lips turning up slightly at my exasperation.

“I’d say it probably has something to do with how much you’ve been on Tumblr this morning, and maybe slightly that Microsoft word was open too. Who knows, maybe that brief visit to Neopets even had a part to play.”

My face began to flush again. “How did you—were you looking at my internet history?!” His previously twitching lip couldn’t hold back any longer and reviled a large toothy grin.

“Hey, can you blame me? Someone gives me their laptop and tells me to do whatever on it so or course a guys gonna’ get curious. Though, I’m really disappointed to say that I was hoping for some kind of crazy porn, not a children’s click-an-point gaming site.”

“Whoa now,” I said holding my hands up in defense. “I get bored okay, and there’s something really gratifying about earning hundreds of neopoints for beating a game.” As I continued my sentence it became clear to me how ridiculous it all sounded and the confidence in my voice began to go down at a similar rate that the heat in my face intensified. By the end of my haphazard defense I was looking down at my palms, picking at a hangnail and hoping that this was a conversation that would be forgotten just as quickly as it started. There was a brief silence between us, and the faint clinking of coffee mugs seemed more like crickets.

That was until a roar of laughter broke it.

I looked up with a glare, my lips pursed. “It’s not funny!” This only seemed to set Seth off more.

“Are you kidding?” He spat between labored breaths and fits of laughter, “It’s hilarious! I’ve never heard of an eighteen year old playing Neopets, much less trying to defend the fact that she does.”

“I’m nineteen!” I interjected, a littler louder and more forceful than I had intended. I looked around sheepishly, clearing my throat. “N-not eighteen.” Seth stared at me for a second before laughing even more.

“Because that is supposed to make it so much better?” The few occupants of the café were all looking at us at this point and I felt like I was running a fever. I could only imagine how red my face must have been. I was so embarrassed. Fuck the banner. I shoved my laptop into my tote and stood up, ignoring Seth as he wiped tears from his eyes.

“Where are you going?” He asked, he was finally calming down but his breath was still labored from his fit. I didn’t reply as I tried to get my arms through my hoodie at record-breaking speeds. This seemed to alarm him a little as his tone switched to somewhat serious. “Hey seriously.” I slugged my bag over my shoulder and still refused to look at him. I couldn’t believe I was actually trying to make nice with this kid. He was so immature and patronizing. I shook my head as my anger swelled, contemplating briefly the possibility of telling him off and deciding against it. I left Espresso News in a rush, the bell on the door screaming at the amount of force I used to hurl it open. As I stomped away I could hear it being pushed open again and footsteps briskly following after me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So it's longer than the past couple, yay!
I'm aiming to get chapter 12 out today as well because I'm a master procrastinator and don't want to do my homework haha

I hope you guys enjoy! It's finally getting somewhere and I'm really excited about it, I hope you all are too :)

Recommend/comment/subscribe!