Status: Slow But Steady Wins The Race

Forelsket

Atten

Art crawl was never dull and I had a feeling that night would be no different. My little mountain town was very dedicated to the arts, and once a month the galleries were all open simultaneously for everyone’s viewing pleasure. Sculpture, painting, even graphic design; you name it and it was on exhibit. It was especially popular with students in the art department (go figure), because many of us ended up getting our work put up on display. A gallery space, recognition and maybe even some cash, what more could an art student want?

For me, the answer was to find Adam. I can’t say that the extent of my interest in him was really strong at that point, but he was definitely attractive and I was definitely intrigued with his prospect of hide and seek. Frankly, it was nice to have a distraction from Seth anyway.

It didn’t take long for me to find Adam, I was about halfway through the galleries on King Street before I heard a boisterous laugh and saw the same thick-framed glasses from earlier. We noticed each other about the same time, and though he was entertaining a small group of acquaintances his eyes lit up when they met mine. He said something incoherent to the people he was with before shaking a man’s hand and heading my way.

“Hey!”

“Hi.” I smiled back sheepishly.

“Enjoying Art Crawl so far? There are some really great exhibits up this month.”

“Yeah, actually I just came from 3rd Place and saw Molly’s work on display, it was really fantastic. Do you know her?”

“DeShields? I love her! She’s absolutely hysterical.” I nodded in agreement.

“Do you have anything up?” He shook his head.

“Not this month, I had a few pieces up in the Turchin Gallery a few months back though.” I thought back to the last few art crawls and if I could place his work.

“Don’t hate me if I’m wrong, but I feel like I vaguely remember your name on a series of photos, is that right?”

“The series on abandoned places around here?”

“Yes! You had, like, covered them in bees wax or something for some really interesting conceptual reason I can’t quite put my finger on right now.” Adam let out another laugh, clearly elated that I could recall his pieces at all.

“That’s right. I won’t bore you with the details of that really interesting concept. I was actually going to stop at Saloon for a beer before looking at the last few galleries, do you want to join me?” I bit my lip. I wasn’t twenty-one yet and knew they carded at the door.

“I’d love to but I forgot my license.” I lied.

He shrugged. “Not to worry, the doorman is my friend, he’ll let us in no problem.” I agreed and we walked down about a block to where Saloon was. I’d never been inside and after getting a nod from the doorman I was surprised to see the artsy modern interior. I had to consciously stop myself from letting my jaw hit the floor. Who would have guessed from the shabby old brick exterior that it would be so 21st century inside? “What’s up Paul? The usual for me and a rum and coke for my new friend.”

At the risk of seeming extremely cliché, I felt really cool. Here I was, barely 20, with an attractive dude who just seamlessly snuck me into a bar and bought me a drink. Yeah, I felt pretty damn cool.

Until I didn’t.

As I grabbed my drink and followed Adam to the lounge area in the back of the bar, I noticed a familiar tuft of disheveled brown hair. You have got to be fucking kidding me right now. I felt clammy and all the color drained from my face, but I refused to look in his direction. Just look forward, maybe he won’t notice you. I sat across from Adam, smiling before downing most of my drink. Calm your nerves Keelyn, it’s fine.

“Thirsty?” I let out a laugh that I’d hope wouldn’t give away the fact that I was screaming internally. Adam joined in.

“A little,” I admitted. “Thank you for buying this for me by the way.”

“It was no problem, really.” I looked around while Adam continued to talk, cautiously glancing over to another group of people about twenty feet away. There was Seth, his mouth participating in conversation, but his eyes locked on me. His glance was intense and as much as I wanted to look away I couldn’t. I was so inexplicably angry with him, but he looked so good. He was wearing torn black jeans that were just tight enough, and a dark green flannel that electrified his eyes. He was rolling a toothpick around between his lips, which seemed to be turned up at the corners. I had goosebumps. How could someone be so attractive and cruel, it just wasn’t fair. Snap out of it Keelyn, he’s a prick remember? He was. I thought back to the mixer and the countless other times he’d gotten under my skin. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Keelyn?” I almost jumped. Oh god, I’d been ignoring Adam. “Did you hear me?”

“Sorry,” I stammered. “I got so caught up in looking at all the things at the bar that I must have zoned out.” It was a good save, the bar was situated just behind Seth’s group. Adam turned to look at it briefly and then back at me.

“Do you want another drink? My beers pretty K.O.ed and I was gong to go get another one.”

“Sure!” Why did I sound so enthusiastic? It was nauseatingly phony. “I’ll just have whatever you’re having.” I gave him my sweetest smile and he was off. I watched him leave, my smile dropping instantly as I saw Seth stand up and walk towards me.

“Princess! What a pleasant surprise.” His voice was poisonous.

“Seth.” Was all I could muster out around the lump in my throat. He plopped down in the seat Adam had just been in, taking no time to lean back and make himself comfortable. He looked so smug, I just wanted to slap the look off of his still-shaven face. “What the fuck do you want? Don’t you have some girl’s hand to go eat out of?” His eyes flickered and he sat up, leaning towards me with his hands resting on his knees.

“That wasn’t exactly the apology I was looking for.”

“I don’t owe you anything.” I threw back, my gaze fixed on the toothpick he was skillfully twirling around his mouth.

“No?” I didn’t reply and he picked up my drink, examining the glass in his hand. “Did your boyfriend buy this for you, Princess?” My boyfriend? Was he trying to get under my skin again or was he jealous?

“What’s it to you?” I asked curiously.

“Nothing.” He said nonchalantly, setting it back down and looking at me again, eyebrow raised. “I just find it interesting that some guy I’ve never seen you around with before risked getting thrown out of a bar just to buy you an illegal drink.” I clenched my jaw.

“If I remember correctly, you were handing me a flask less than 48 hours ago.” He looked amused at my jab.

“Touché, Princess. But I never claimed to be law-abiding.”

Adam sat down on the couch next to me. I had been so engulfed in Seth I didn’t even see him come back. “Here’s your beer Keels, who’s this?” The air was so tense that not even Adam’s cheerful interjection couldn’t cut it.

“I’m Seth, man, nice to meet you.” They shook hands.

“Likewise, are you a friend of Keelyn’s?” I felt Adam lean back on the couch, extending his arm to rest behind my head on the cushion. Marking his territory. Guys really are easily threatened animals. Seth’s eyes darkened for only a second, looking at Adam’s arm and then me, and I’m sure I was the only one who saw it.

“I don’t think I’d use the word friend,” Seth replied coolly, his composure regained. “I actually just came over to give her this.” He dug around in his pocket and pulled out some folded up pieces of paper, extending them out to me. I hesitantly took them, and looked back at him confused. “Well, my friend’s are waiting outside, and it’d be rude to keep the ladies waiting, so see you guys around.” I pursed my lip at his last statement, the Facebook comments running through my head. Good ‘ol Seth.

“What is it?” Adam asked, his proximity to me becoming less protective as Seth made his exit. I had no idea. I carefully unfolded the papers to find two pages of typed writing. Skimming the page I found a header, “The Parthenon” and both of our names on the top corner. It was our report, he’d written the whole thing without me. At the bottom of the second page there was a handwritten note:

I already submitted it to Bentor. Don’t feel obligated to talk to me anymore.
-S


]“It’s our research paper.” I murmured, still processing what that meant. I couldn't believe it.

“What a weird guy, who just carries around a paper? I’m sure you’re glad he’ll be out of your hair then.” I felt my stomach drop.

“Yeah,” I didn’t feel very good anymore or like checking out the rest of the galleries. “Glad.” Was I trying to convince Adam or myself? I told him I wasn’t feeling very good and that I was sorry to have to bail early. He didn’t seem to mind and walked me back to my dorm where I, once again, realized I didn’t have an I.D. card and had to wait to be let in. We exchanged numbers and I collapsed onto my bed, trying to decide if I was relieved or not.
♠ ♠ ♠
I upped the rating on the story to R because there may or may not be a steamy chapter on the horizon and I wasn't sure which was more appropriate. Better safe than sorry yeah? I'll tag the chapter in case any of you feel uncomfortable reading that kind of thing. BUT ANYWAY who knows if or when that'll happen!?

Thanks for putting up with my poor excuse for a story, and keeping up with it. You guys are the best. Till next time dudebabes!

Comment/Recommend/Subscribe <3

P.S. if you've ever left a comment I just want to say I really appreciate it! I always forget to reply in a timely manner but it always makes my day :)