Status: Hiatus

Let Me Be the One

Wake Up

I don't know what Frank and I had. I realized that when I woke up the next morning with Franks arm strewed over my waist and me laying awkwardly at the very edge of the bed.

I had only known Frank for a few days and I was already sleeping with him? Not that kind of sleeping with him, but I did skip work and went drinking with him and his friends. I think we're at the friendship level now, but I wasn't sure. I couldn't tell if he was going to wake up and tell me everything he's done is because he knows about my failing relationship with Tom.

Speaking of which, I have the day off today and I plan on spending it with either Tom or Mrs. Brown. Probably the latter because I was still pissed off that not only did my boyfriend forget about my very fatal allergy, but he also humiliated me in public before running after 'she who shall not be named'

Sam is pretty much the equivalent to Voldemort in my books. Actually, no, Voldemort is a step up, because I'm pretty sure he doesn't go around ruining relationships unknowingly.

I was brought back to my current situation when Frank mumbled some incoherent words and his grip tightened on me. How was I going to get out of this one?

A frown tugged at my lips as I tried sliding away. Unfortunately, the only place I could slide was onto the floor so the next thing I know, I'm holding my head while a now awake Frank is laughing at me.

"Shut up or I'll make your hangover as miserable as possible." I threatened. That shut him up.

I crawled to my feet and straightened out my clothes. I was still wearing the same clothes from work and now they were all wrinkled. Oh well.

"How did you sleep?" Frank asked as he snuggled deeper into the bed. "Because I slept amazingly. I don't even know who's house this is but this is one comfortable bed. "

"Yeah, it was nice." I muttered as I slipped on my heels and tied my blonde hair into a knot at the top of my head. "But now I need to go home and scream at Tom for ditching me, care to join me?"

"Not in the slightest."

"Too damn bad, you're my ride."

Frank groaned and reluctantly shoved the duvet off of his body. He reeked of alcohol and cigarettes. I actually liked the smell of a smoker. Back in Amsterdam, my best friend smoked heavily and once I moved, cigarettes reminded me of home.

"C'mon, le'ts go then. I have to get to band practice soon anyway." Frank yawned and I glanced up.

"Since when have you been in a band?"

Frank grinned, "Ever hear of My Chemical Romance?"

I have him a blank stare. "No."

There was a pregnant pause as Frank shifted awkwardly, "... Oh. Well, yeah, I'm the guitarist for My Chemical Romance." Another pause, "Have you really never heard of us? I mean we've been on MTV before?"

"Nope, doesn't ring any bells." I shrugged. I finished getting ready and stood up straighter. "As much as I'd like to talk about some band I've never heard of, can we get going? I need to feed my neighbours dog."

Frank didn't answer, he just looked really confused. Like how could anyone possibly not know who My Chemical Romance was. He shouldn't be surprised though, I'm not exactly his type if you get what I mean.

If his music was anything like his looks then we had two completely different tastes. I mean, I am a bleach blonde who works at a lingerie store and Frank was... Frank. He pierces his face. Polar opposites. Maybe that's why we get along?

I led Frank down the stairs where I dragged him up last night to see that the house was completely cleaned from the night before and nobody was there. Except for the business woman looking at us like we were axe murderers.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN MY HOUSE?" She shrieked and I froze. Shit.

"Uh...Je bedoelt dit niet Starbucks?" I spoke in Dutch and looked around like I was confused. Frank caught on and looked around as well like we were two foreign idiots.

"GET OUT!"

I grabbed Franks hand and gunned it out of there. The woman was still behind us, screaming about calling the police while me and Frank raced the three blocks to where he parked his car the night before.

By the time we reached it, we were both in stitches, laughing our asses off. Tears were streaming down Franks face as one hand clutched his stomach and the other kept him standing upright by leaning on the car. "What... Did you... Say... To her?"

I laughed even harder as I fought to get the words out of my mouth. "I said 'you mean this isn't Starbucks?'"

Frank collapsed on the ground and stayed there for the next few minutes, trying to catch his breath. An old man walking his dog gave us a weird look and hurried past.

Finally, we gained control and managed to get into the car and even start the car. Miracles happen every day. We started driving in silence when I started humming a song.

"What are you singing?" Frank asked.

"Go to Church." I answered blandly. Frank looked at me like I was crazy. "It's by Ice Cube and Snoop Dog."

"You listen to rap? How can you listen to that?" Frank looked incredulously at me. "And why don't you know who MCR are?"

"I like rap. Hearing people with gold teeth talk about how the bitches come to them is comforting to know that I'm not as big as a slut as those whores." I shrugged. "Besides, you can't be that famous if I have never even heard one song from you. Name something you've sang I might have heard."

"Uh, I'm not Okay?" I shook my head. "Helena?" I shook my head again, "Blood?"

"What the fuck? What's Blood?" I wrinkled my nose. Why would he have a song called blood?

"You know, 'blood, blood, gallons of the stuff...'" Frank sang and I pulled a look of disgust.

"YOU MADE A SONG ABOUT PERIODS!?"

Franks head snapped to mine and his jaw dropped, "No! It's not about p-"

The sound of glass shattering and metal ripping interrupted Franks sentence. My face slammed forward and smashed into the dashboard before it went flying back into the seat.

The front of the car crumpled around me in an instant and I could barely take into consideration that the entire windshield was shattered and the back half of Franks car was ripped off.

The car came to a stop as the pain started setting in. At first it was just in my forehead where my head hit the dashboard but then it was in my legs and arms and then my chest and finally, everything just felt like it was burning off.

The world around me started to tilt and spin as I gasped for air that wouldn't come. I scratched against the crumpled dashboard to try and get out of my seat but I wasn't moving.

My hands grew weak and fell to my side as black started closing in on my vision. The last thing I remembered before I passed out was the feeling of a hand slipping into mine and giving me a tight squeeze.

[x]

Beep. Beep. Beep.

Everything was black. There was no light as my limbs felt numb from the morphine getting pumped into my body. Voices were around me, talking about something with words I couldn't understand. But they were talking about me, that much was clear.

I tried to open my eyes but they remained shut. Like my eyelids were glued shut with cement that seemed impossible to break. I took a few seconds to recollect my energy before trying again. Once again, it was a failure.

But at least, now, I was starting to understand what everyone was saying. There were two separate conversations going on. One with two girls and the other with boys but I couldn't count how many were in that conversation.

"Are you sure you should be here, Sam?" The first girl asked. Her voice was hoarse and girl #2 seemed more confident and defiant.

"Tom can't be here and it's the least I can do. I feel like it's my fault." Sam said. Oh right, it was Sam and Mandy.

I tuned into the men's conversation and tried to make out the voices. One of them was crying, like, badly. The others were trying to comfort him.

"This is all my fault!" the crying one sobbed. Frank. It was Frank and he was alive. "What if she never wakes up?"

"She's going to be fine." Another voice reassured. It was Ray I think? I couldn't be sure, I hadn't known him long enough to memorize his voice.

"Frank, this isn't your fault. Shit happens and Vee will be fine. She's a fighter." Gerard, or Mikey, I'm not sure, added.

I only then realized that Franks hand was slipped in mine. He was squeezing tightly and rubbed his thumb over the side of my hand. I could feel his tears as they slipped from his eyes and one dropped onto my arm but he quickly wiped it away.

"I'm so sorry, Vera, I'm so, so, sorry." Frank whispered, "I'm sorry. I could never forgive myself for this. Please be okay, please..."

Using all the strength I could, taking all the energy I had left in my body, I focused on my hand. Concentrating harder than I'd ever had to before, I squeezed my hand.

"Vera?"