Status: Hiatus

Let Me Be the One

Hospital

I still hadn't opened my eyes an hour later but everyone knew I was awake by now. They cheered for me to try and open my eyes but the most I could manage was a small flutter of my lids.

Sam, Mandy, Gerard, Ray, Bob and Mikey all went down to the cafeteria and left Frank with me. His hand was still in mine, stroking it comfortably as silence filled our room. I wanted to do something - anything - that was a step up from the whole hand squeeze thing but it was all that I could handle right now.

"I know you've heard this a million times already but I am so sorry." Frank whispered so quietly that I could barely hear him. "I- I should have kept my eyes on the road. If I had, I wouldn't have run the red light..."

From what I'd collected over the last hour, Frank ran a red light and a semi truck ran into us by our side. It hit my side, but barely missed me by an inch. The impact sent us flying straight through the lobby of a hotel. Thankfully, nobody other than us were injured.

"I know that after you wake up, like really wake up, you won't want to see me again for nearly getting you killed. So I'll just leave before you open your eyes."

No! Please don't go! You can't!

I listened as Frank slid out from his chair and a few seconds later, his hand had left mine and the sound of his shuffled feet were heading to the door.

My blue eyes shot open, and barely had time to get used to the blinding white light before I saw Frank at the door and just turning the silver knob to leave the hospital room and be gone from my forever. "Don't go."

My voice was rasped and my thick accent made it hard to understand but I knew Frank heard me. I knew because he stopped dead in his tracks to make sure he was hearing right. "Don't go." I repeated.

This time, Frank slowly turned to look at me with a shocked expression. "You- you're awake?"

I would have nodded but I was laying at an awkward angle and my neck hurt as it was from whip lash. I had no broken bones but looking at the mirror strategically placed on the wall at the end of the bed, I could see my face was purple and swollen. I knew that once I took a look at my entire body, it would be the same.

I directed my vision back to Frank to see a slow smile creeping it's way onto his tired face. Thick bags hung under his exhausted hazel eyes and his skin was paler than usual. Not to mention that he also had some facial bruising, a cut lip, and a white cast on his wrist.

His hair hung in greasy black waves over his face and his shoulders slouched as he walked to my side and took his original place by my side. But to my dismay, he didn't pick up my hand again. Not that I wanted to hold anyone's hand, but the way he rubbed his fingers over my skin was actually really soothing.

"I'm an idiot. I'm sorry that I got you hurt, I just... I'm so sor-" Frank started but I cut him off.

"There is a reason they call it accidents, Frank. It wasn't your fault. Don't blame yourself and I don't want to hear you say sorry one more time because you know for a fact that it was just as much my fault for distracting you. I forgave you the second I woke up." I interrupted and Frank broke into a grin with tears welling in his eyes.

"Thank you."

I'm not sure what he was thanking me for but the next thing I knew, his arms were wrapped around my body and his face was in the crook of my neck as silent tears slipped from his eyes.

"Vera?"

Frank broke away and we both looked to see Tom standing in the doorway. In his hands were a bouquet of yellow lilies that made my heart. He brought me flowers!

"Tom!" I grinned but winced at the feeling of my bruises pulling. "You came!"

Tom smiled his adorable lopsided grin, "of course I did. How could I ignore my girlfriend when she was in the hospital?"

Tom leaned over my light blue bed sheets and planted a kiss on my lips. "I just wanted to add these to the pile." Tom added and placed the lilies on a small, marble counter with a sink. Also on the counter, were chocolates, more flowers, cards and 'get well soon' balloons. The colours were all bright and it was a harsh contrast compared to the pale purple walls and white tiled floor.

"Who got all those?" I asked, looking shocked.

"Me, Sam and Mandy mostly. It's surprising how the person who actually put you in the hospital didn't even have the decency to buy you a simple card." Tom snarled and shot a glare at Frank who had his jaw clenched and his hands in tight fists.

"Oh, my bad, I was too bus waiting by Vee's side while she was on the brink of death to think of getting a card. Sorry, I should have thought of how much a piece of paper would mean so much to her." Frank spat sarcastically and got to his feet.

Tom towered over Frank but the latter looked pissed as hell. He was clenching and in clenching his fists and I could tell that if Tom said anything else, shit would go down.

"Voo!" a shrill voice screamed from the door. Gerard rushed in and practically tackled me in a bear hug that caused a lot more pain than it should have. "My little Havoc is awake!"

I chuckled, "I can't believe you actually remember that after how drunk you were last night."

Ray pulled a face, "Vera, you've been out of it for three days now. You had a concussion."

My jaw dropped, "Three days? Did someone call work?" I gasped. I don't know why that was the first thing that came to mind but I was really worried that I would be getting fired after the whole skipping thing.

Mandy coughed awkwardly and held up her hand, "Uh, yeah, work knows. Remember? We're kind of co-workers."

I blushed a deep shade of red as everyone laughed at my mistake. I glanced over at Frank in curiosity, "How about you? How long have you been out for?"

"Just a day." Frank shrugged. "They kept me in bed for most of the second day too but after awhile they just stopped trying and let me see you."

"Looks like you got the better end of the situation." Tom muttered and Sam elbowed him in the rib cage. It was times like these where I actually appreciated her presence because she seemed to be the only one who could keep Tom in check.

"So, when can we get you out of here?" Mikey asked from the corner of the room where he was gently wheeling himself back and forth in a wheelchair with his feet propped up on a rocking chair.

"The nurse said that you can get discharged tomorrow morning if you were up to it." Bob replied and I smiled at that. I have always hated hospitals. They smell like cleaner and it seems kind of creepy to me how the nurses wear clothes with little smiling babies or teddy bears on them.

I know it was just their dress code, but I find it kind of terrifying.

"Speaking of which, we should probably give you some time to rest." Sam said and I wanted to slap her for the trillionth time in my lifetime. I didn't want to sleep! I wanted to visit!

"She's right." Frank sighed as he stood up from his seat by my bed. "I'll see you soon, though. Get some rest, Vee."

Frank gave me a quick hug before stepping back and letting Mikey, Ray, Bob and finally Gerard. "Get better, Voo." he whispered before all the boys - save for Tom - left the disinfectant smelling room.

Mandy and Sam gave me a quick wave and also left, leaving just me and Tom. His fingers laced in mine and his lips pressed against my forehead for a split second before pulling away.

"I'll see you tomorrow. I'll drive you home." Tom reassured and gave my hand a tight squeeze.

"Alright, I love you." I said in a soft voice. Tom nodded before disappearing into the hospital corridors.

I couldn't help but notice that not once, did he tell me that he loved me back. It wasn't like it mattered though, I could love him enough for the two of us.