You Are Not

Chapter 3

Gustav stood watching Emma walk away; he downed his apple cider throwing his empty cup on the floor and sighed. He didn't think he was gone for that long but whatever. It’s not like she tried to find him or contact him, he had one text in the matter of minutes he was gone. He looked around the see Andrew surrounded by young girls, he felt angry at him even more so that he was there every time he turned around.

Gus walked away and perchanced a hooded jumper with the festival line up on the back. He found Tay and John at a stall buying some food; he walked over putting his jumper over the one he was wearing and got out a cigarette. Gus rarely smoked but he was pissed off although Andrew had done nothing to offend him he just couldn't help but hate him.

“Gusty wear you been man?” John asked slapping more and more ketchup on his burger.

“Emma just stormed off.”

Tay gave John a worried look, he smiled down at her and told Gus to join them. The three of them found somewhere not too damp to sit where they wouldn't sink and brought a load of drinks and things to eat.

Gus couldn't stand drama with Em, she’d usually go out in a mood and return late expecting to sleep with him and then everything would be fine except she couldn't do that here so he had no idea when she’ll want him back or if she’d even come find him. It wasn't her fault not in Gustav’s eyes; she’d always been spoilt that’s all she knew how to receive everything she wanted on a pedestal while she sat on her throne demanding more.

Her parents had never said no, her sister was older and engaged - Gus was expected to go which he’d end up leaving early – her younger brother would never be as good as she is, that’s what she’s told him and her parents being push overs never see this. Emma wanted a bigger bedroom with a walk in wardrobe so they moved house and then she wanted a new car so they got it custom made, she wanted a boyfriend the night she met Gus and so they slept together and it was official.

Gus didn't want to be a pushover boyfriend but he didn't want to lose his girlfriend either, he knew there was more to her than being a princess. She liked to be romantic and they used to make a hide out and pretend no one could get in and if they ever tried to leave their hearts would break and they stayed in the hide out for almost a week once just the two of them. Her favorite movie was the breakfast club so they’d watch it was her favorite chocolate and wine but it had been Gustav’s idea. Of course.

Gus led down on the grass rubbing his forehead not knowing what to do but also not wanting to do anything. They were at a festival he had to go find her, why would you just abandon someone? Gus got up without saying anything and went to the nearest tent, everyone was sat down waiting for the next band, and Gus walking in and out of the mob of people trying to find her but couldn't spot her anywhere.

He moved on to the next tent which seemed to be some type of rave going on with all the flashing lights, glow sticks being thrown around and then the act came onto the stage and everyone jumped up and down screaming, he knew it would be like finding a needle in a hay stack but he was going to find her. He pushed himself through and trying to look around while everyone bounced around, the front is where she’s be, never anywhere but the front.

And there she was dancing with another guy, his hands on her hips, her arms around his neck, her back leaning against his chest and her ass moving across the guy’s groin. She wasn't going to do this to him, he threw himself through the circle of people pulled the guy backwards and punched him smack in the face. The guy hit the floor with full force and as he did Gus kicked him hard over and over while Emma screamed at him to stop. But he didn't not until the bouncers pulled him back and out of the tent. Gus was escorted out by a few guards.

Gus was stood out the back cuffed to a pole that was deep into the ground and going on where. He just stood there wishing he was at home in bed with his girlfriend having a lazy day with chicken and chips and shitty love movies that would never happen in real life or comedy’s that where created to make you feel better about yourself.

Andy went to walk past and stopped, “My biggest fan.”

Gus said nothing but sank to his knees, holding his arm up slightly where it would reach as he was crouching.

“What happened to you?” Andy smirked.

“I punched a guy in the face, want to make it two?”

“Dude, you’re chained to a pole who do you think would win here?”

Gustav shrugged no caring about anything even if he got thrown out they’d be doing him a favor.

“What happened?”

“He was dancing with my girlfriend.”

“Ha, girlfriend problems who doesn't get those?” Andy chuckled and then thought to himself, "Oh, I don't, no, not really."

“Those who have boyfriend troubles obviously, and no of course you don't, could of guessed that one.”

“Right… you know your sense of humor is seriously bad.”

“Maybe you’re just not funny.”

“You were trying to be funny not me.”

Gus looked up at him and sighed. He really had nothing to say although he wondered why this hot shot singer song writer or who ever wanted to talk to him. He was a nobody and that’s the way he liked it.

“Here’s my card in case you need a chat, though that’s my manager’s number because I can’t give out mine-”

“Whatever, as if I'm going to need to call you."

Emma walked round the back looking for him with anger in her eyes until she spotted Andy, the guy of her dreams, the guy that was plastered all over her bedroom and the guy she would want to spend the rest of her life with. She ran at him and draped her arms around him, “I can’t believe it’s you.”

“Yeah it’s me, me who needs to go.”

“Wait, we have to have a picture together.”

Emma held up the camera and placed her lips on Andy's check capturing this moment to hold with her forever. Gus rolled his eyes not knowing where to look.

“I love you.”

I love you. Those are the words that came out of her mouth and directed at Andy-fucking-Biersack, not her boyfriend but the guy she watched on TV try to make it as a rock star. Gus had only ever heard her say that after getting her own way to her dad mostly. He couldn't believe it and by the looks of it Andy was slightly stunned about what just happened. If Gus was the perfect boyfriend for her he’d give her the card in his pocket that he’d been handed only moments ago but he wasn't going to be with her forever he knew she’d want more. He knew it deep down but he’d never wanted to let that out, he never wanted to bring it out but here it was. The truth.

Andrew walked away without saying anything but got his phone out keeping his head down.

Gus looked up at her, “that was something.”

“Yeah… it was love.”

“Right… is that what you came here to tell me or do you just want to fuck off?”

“You started it Gus.”

“No I didn't, I wasn't thrusting at another girl Em.”

Emma crossed her arms at him, “You’re a mistake Gustav.”

Gustav felt his heart sink, he replayed those words through his head a mistake, he’d been a mistake for six months, he’d brought he tickets to kiss her celeb heart throb and then she’d spat in his face. Only last night he felt like they’d only become stronger.

Emma turned around to walk away and felt a sharp sting hit her as Tay back handed smacked her right in the face. Emma’s sunglasses fell on the floor and crumbled under her own foot as she stepped backwards trying to keep her balance. John snatched her camera taking the film out and exposing it to the light destroying any pictures that had been taken. Gus felt powerless, even with his two best friends tearing her apart he felt weak and stupid. Most of all he felt stupid. He didn't even know if he was going to be told to leave or no yet which made him just want to leave.

John ripped up the bit of film and threw them over Emma; she pushed past them and ran off. Gustav had no idea if he was going to see her again but he wanted to, he knew that he could mend their relationship and he could make her happy. He knew they worked well together and he knew she could love him but right now he could just go home. He knew there would be no movie in bed with Em but it would be better than this. The security guards came over to have a chat to Gus, he told them he just wanted to leave and so that’s what he did. He gathered his things and went home telling his friends he just wanted to be alone. He couldn't be bothered to go back to an empty house with no food, beds not made, washing needing to be done and whatever else was waiting for him there.