The President's Daughter

Six

I silently followed behind Tyler as we walked through the halls of his apartment building. Standing behind his tall stature, I felt as if I was standing behind a giant with his 6'1 height towering over my 5'2 build. What I was doing coming with him was beyond me, but it was as if my body was on autopilot following him wherever he went. He stopped quickly in front of a door which resulted in my body running into his back.

“Sorry,” he said as he pulled his keys out of his pocket and opening the door.

“You're fine,” I said lightly as I walked through the apartment door that Tyler was now holding open for me. Stepping into the dark apartment, I stepped to the side so that Tyler could enter a turn on the lights. Following behind me, Tyler entered the apartment and reached behind me to flick the light switch that I was unknowingly blocking.

“Here you can go sit on the couch, I'll be right there” he said while handing me the bottle of liquor.

Grabbing the bottle, I walked into his spacious living room that outlined with floor to ceiling windows overlooking downtown Boston. Walking closer to the windows, I admired the spectacular view before me. The bright lights given off building illuminated the dark sky engulfed my nighttime.

“Pretty isn’t it?” Tyler asked coming up behind me. The sudden voice caused me to jump a little causing him to let out a small chuckle. “A little jumpy aren’t you?” he joked.

Sitting down on the couch, he patted the spot next to him indicating me to sit down. Nerves suddenly rushed through my veins as it seemed that my consciousness had just returned to my body. Slowly, I walked over and sat in the seat next to him. Taking the shot glasses that he got, he took the bottle from my hand once again. Setting the glasses on the table, he poured the contents of the bottle into each glass.

Taking the glass that he was now handing me, I quickly threw back the shot hoping to stop the nerves that have yet to leave my body. Knowing that because I came with him here, he wasn't going to let me leave until I told him what was wrong. With that thought running through my mind, I grabbed the bottle and took a big gulp of the intoxicating substance.

“Whoa, slow down there Rocky,” He laughed while taking the bottle back from my hand.

“Sorry, but if we're actually going to have this conversation I need that,” I said while pointing to the bottle now hanging from his hand.

He smirked before bringing the bottle up to his lips and throwing back a gulp. Taking the bottle away from his lips, he handed the bottle back to me.

&&&

Tyler's POV

Not even thirty minutes later, Ashton's words began to slur together. Grabbing the bottle from her hands and setting it down on the coffee table, I decided that it was probably time to cut her off since the bottle was nearly empty.

“So are you ready to tell me what's wrong yet?” I asked her while readjusting my body on the couch so it was now angled toward her more.

She pulled her knees to her chest now putting her sock clad feet onto the couch due to her shoes being discarded a bottle of vodka ago. She also angled her body so it has now facing me which caused the top of her foot to be resting against my thigh sending shivers to shoot down my leg.

Noticing the shiver in my leg, Ashton let out a drunk giggle before repositioning her feet completely in my lap. A smile emerged from my face in result of her actions, and I began to trace gentle patterns on her foot with my hand.

My eyes looked up from what my hand was doing and instantly connected with her eyes as she said, “My parents are suffocating me. I know I probably sound absolutely stupid, but all my life my parents have expected me to me this perfect daughter. Now, this scar of my forehead proves to both them and myself that I'm not.”

I wiped away a stray tear that was now falling down the side of her cheek with my thumb and then ran my thumb over the fading scar on her forehead. “How did this happen?” I asked while tucking a stray piece of her hair behind her ear.

She broke eye contact with me before almost whispering, “My ex-boyfriend beat me.” If I wasn't paying attention, there was no way I would have even heard the words leave her mouth. My whole body tensed up with anger with the new knowledge I had just gained. Why I reacted the way I even reacted the way I did is beyond me, but I found myself pulling a crying Ashton into my lap and comforting her.

I held her in my arms as she cried knowing that if she was sober she would have never told me that. Just the thought of someone ever laying a hand on her caused my arms to wrap around her even tighter than they had been previously.

I sat there for an hour rocking her back and forth while whispering comforting things into her ears as she continued to cry. Normally, I was the first one to leave a room when a girl began to cry, but with Ashton I couldn't even think about leaving her sitting here crying-- just that thought made my heart ache. I don't understand how such a beautiful girl who constantly has a smile on her face could ever feel this insecure.

Soon, Ashton's breath began to slow as she fell into a deep slumber. I carefully wrapped my arms around her and picked her up carrying her to my room. Pulling back the blankets, I laid her down in my bed. Looking down at the sleeping girl in my bed, I knew that even with all the risks involved with her being Cam Neely's daughter that I was going to be there for her even if she denied she needed help. Ashton evokes feelings in me that I have never felt.

Quietly closing the door to my bedroom, I walked back into the living room and stationed myself on the couch for what I knew would be a sleepless night.