Miss Fire

In my life there's been heartache and pain

“I hate you so much, Tony Stark.” I mutter as Tony and I get out of the limo; camera’s flashes lighting up the night accompanied with various questions about our relationship.

“Just smile and wave.” He whispers to me, a smirk on his lips. “It’ll all be over soon.”

“I’m not one of those penguins from the movie Madagascar.” I hiss with clenched teeth as we make our way towards the door. Tony just chuckles, waving -and winking- at various girls in the crowd. “You’re such a pig sometimes.”

“Now that was harsh.” He states, a hint of amusement lingers on his words. “I’m just being friendly.”

“I gotta give Pepper credit,” I chuckle, “I certainly wouldn’t be able to put up with you if we were in a relationship.”

“You’re going to break these people’s hearts if they hear you say we’re not in a relationship.” Tony chuckles, but by this time we were already inside; safe from the glare of the camera lenses and the blinding flashes; also the prying ears.

While at the benefit, I talk to various authors and agents; blushing whenever the gush about my earlier work and how excited they are about my new series. It seems that Never a Hero is going to be a hit, even if Miss Fire, the start of the series, hasn’t even been released yet. It makes me excited to work on it; it’s all the motivation I need.

Just as I’m about to start another conversation with yet another business man, Tony sweeps in and saves the day.

“My knight in shining armor.” I chuckle as Tony guides me away from the other man, making up an excuse to get me away. “I don’t think I’d be able to handle another conversation about some business I don’t even care about, without something stronger than champagne.” I mutter, placing my empty champagne flute on the serving tray of a random server and they walk by at almost the speed of light.

“It couldn’t have been that bad.” He chuckles.

“Tony, I daydream when you go into details about Stark Industries.” I point out with a smile, “I’m not into big corporations. I’m a simple girl that simply doesn’t care about how much money someone makes or how they do it.”

“And that’s what I like about you,” Tony says, linking arms with me as we walk towards the bar. He orders us both a drink then turns towards me, “you know, you’re the only reason why I even go to these things. You make the tedious events, less boring and much more interesting.”

“Well, I’m flattered.” I smile as the bartender places the drinks in front of us. “But I’ve got to admit I hate coming to these things too. The only reason why I don’t make a big fuss is because you’re usually by my side, making fun of these people with me.”

He doesn’t say anything, only laughs. I just roll my eyes as we pick up our drinks and go back to mingling with the other party goers…

**

“I swear every time I pick up a magazine, you and Tony Stark are plastered on the cover.” Gretchen’s thick southern accent is enough to make me homesick.

“I still can’t believe they think we’re together,” I chuckle, “Tony says it’ll break their hearts once they realize we’re not.”

“How are you and Mister Stark?” She asks, as I glare at my word document, wanting words to appear but they never do.

“We’re fine.” I reply before closing my laptop. “We’re actually having movie night at Stark Towers, my idea of course.”

“Sounds like you have taken a likin’ to Tony Stark.” I can envision on the smirk that’s on her lips as she says that.

“He’s just someone to hang out with,” I shrug despite her not being able to see it. “I feel comfortable around him. I don’t have to be this uptight bitch. I could be myself and know he likes my southern charm and attitude.”

“Just admit it,” Gretchen says, “you have a thing for Iron Man.”

“I’ll admit nothing…”

**

“Hey Risky Business.” Tony greets as I walk into his lab. “How’s Miss Fire coming along?”

“I keep staring at my word document wishing words would jump on the screen that’ll make sense.” I mutter, hopping up onto a disaster free lab table.

“Sounds like you need a change of scenery.”

“Or maybe copious amounts of alcohol.” I joke earning a laugh from Tony. “Writing drunk always helped me with writer’s block before but dealing with the hangover afterwards is never fun.”

“Or you could come out to California with me.” He suggests. “I’m getting sick of New York and need a change of scenery. You’re more than welcome to join me.”

“Will there be copious amounts of alcohol in California waiting for me?”

“If that’s what your heart desires, sure.”

“Consider it a date…” I smile at him, getting butterflies in my stomach. Maybe Gretchen is right...
♠ ♠ ♠
Daisy at the party
Daisy at the lab

chapter title credit: I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner.

I'm going to shamelessly promote my other stories that feature a Stark
Devils Don't Fly (Howard Stark)
Call to Action (Avengers' Kids fanfic. co-written with Starkette;)