I'm Sorry

Happier Times

J stumbled back to his bunk; he was coming down from his high. He smiled when he saw Katie lying on the bottom bunk, looking through her phone.
“Whathca doing, Kit-Kat?” He asked, leaning against the wall.
“IFunny.” Katie replied absent mindedly.
J nodded, even though he had no idea what the fuck she was talking about.
“So I wanted to talk about the little make-out sesh.” J said sitting on the edge of her bunk.

Meanwhile, in Dylan’s Bunk.
Dylan lay in his bunk, looking at the celling. He had a bottle of vodka in one hand. He was thinking about all the things that he and Kate had done together. Starting from the day he asked her out.
Flashback Time
It was Katie’s birthday. It was also the biggest game of the season. She was sitting in the stands, right behind the cheerleaders. Her hair was up in a ponytail and she was wearing Johnny’s sweatshirt and cheering the team on. Honestly he didn’t know of a time she looked more beautiful.
It was the last quarter and they were down two points. Dylan made the run and got the touchdown. The whole place erupted in cheers. The guys where clapping, acting like they were too cool for this, while Katie was jumping up and down cheering. The couch came out with a megaphone to thank everyone one for coming.
“And we couldn’t have done it without you guys. And I think Dylan has something to say.” Coach said with a smile on his face.
Dylan grabbed the megaphone,”Yeah. Thanks for coming. I want to thank one girl in particular. It’s her birthday and instead of spending it at a party she decided to waste her time and come to one of my games.” He looked at Katie who was blushing by now. “This girl doesn’t know how beautiful she is and how she lights up a room by just walking in it. And I want to ask her a question before some other guy does. Katie, will you be my girlfriend?” The crowd erupted in cheers and people chanting. He saw Katie say something. “Hey shut up, I can’t hear her answer.”
“Duh you idiot!” Katie shouted, blushing.
~~
For their first date he took her to the Hollywood sign. It was chilly so he gave her his jacket. They had a picnic. She was sitting crossed legged across from him eating a PB&J, telling him how much of a douche bag her Advanced Earth Space Science teacher was. He was eating grapes and threw one at her when she was looking down.
“Did you throw a grape at me?” She asked with a smile.
“No.”
“Really?”
“I’m 100 % positive I didn’t throw a grape.”
“So it was Big Foot?”
“Bingo.”
Katie jumped on him, smearing her PB&J all over his face. Soon there was chocolate pudding on Katie’s face, Dylan had ketchup down his shirt, and they both had big red in their hair.
~~
He remembered clearly the first time he told her he loved her. It was the summer between sophomore and junior year. Him and Katie we’re watching a movie and she was really into it, making all these cute expressions, even crying when the characters best friend died. The movie had ended and Dylan couldn’t keep it in anymore.
“I love you.” Dylan blurted.
Katie looked over at him. Surprise was written all over her face.
“I love you, too.” Katie smiled and kissed him.
God. He was such an idiot to think that all that was worth losing just so he could sleep with some girl. It wasn’t like him and Katie didn’t have sex, in fact he took her virginity, but maybe it was just a chance to see what all there was. He never meant to hurt her. Of course she never believed him.
“Please, querido, I didn’t mean to. Don’t leave me.” Dylan said crying. “I love you.”
“Well that sucks, cause I hate you.” Katie shouted at him.
“Don’t say that. It’s not true.” Dylan said.
“No, it’s true. I never want to see you again.”
That was the last conversation they ever had and he often had nightmares about it. He had thought he had fallen in love with a girl named, Britt. But he kept comparing the two so he dumped her. He wasn’t going to let Katie get away. He would start by being her friend again and hopefully go farther than that.
He pushed himself out of bed and walked over to where Katie was bunking, hopefully she wasn’t still asleep.
“We were both high; I know it didn’t mean anything.” Katie told J. Dylan tried to ignore the slight hurt in Katie’s voice as she said this. She seemed to have feelings for J.
“Hey. Can I talk to Katie by myself?” Dylan asked walking in.
J glared at Dylan, but turned to Katie to see if she would argue it.
“Sure whatever.” Katie told Dylan.
J left, dragging his feet.
“I just wanted to tell you that I’m sorry for what happened back in high school. I just wish we could be friends again. I mean, we’re gonna be together for 6 months, and I don’t want you to hate me for all of it.” Dylan said.
Katie looked at her feet, her face scrunched up in concentration, “Sure, I guess. Just don’t hurt me again, Dyl.” She said the last part smiling.
Katie got out of bed and gave Dylan and hug, He held her close, taking in how close she was to him, and then taking in how reluctant she was to let him go.