I'm Sorry

May the Odds be Ever in Your Favor

Dylan walked away from Katie, who had laid back on her bunk. He felt like he was on cloud nine, like nothing could stop him. She had forgiven him and he may stand a chance, all that was in way was J whom, if Dylan was honest, stood a pretty good chance. Dylan climbed back in his bunk and drifted off to sleep.
J-Dog’s POV
J sat on the couch, the bottle of beer in his hands half empty. Dylan was probably sweet talking his way back to her, and by tomorrow they would be together again, because no girl could resist that Latino charm he had. J would hate himself tomorrow for yet again letting her get away. He had so many opportunities since that night all those years ago.
Memories
It was Halloween and Jorel watched as everyone else got to go door-to-door and get candy while he had to stay inside all because he called Miss Taylors stupid. Halloween was his favorite holiday; he got candy and got to dress up. This year he was gonna be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle with his best friend Aron. But no he had to get grounded. He was sitting on his bed looking through a comic book when he heard a tap on his window, at first he ignored it. But then he heard it again. He turned around and saw Katie.
She was a girl who sat next to him in class. At first he hated it because she was a girl and girl had cooties, but now he didn’t mind her so much. She made his tummy feel weird and his heart would beat really fast whenever he saw her. She was dressed up as Dorothy from Wizard of Oz; her blonde hair was ups in pig-tails. She was smiling at him; she had lost one of her bottom teeth. J ran over opened his window.
“What are you doing here?” He asked, he had a slight lisp since he lost his top two teeth.
“I came here to give you some candy.” Katie said, holding up a basked that had a bunch of candy.
“Really?” J asked smiling.
“Yeah, everyone should get candy on Halloween.” Katie told him. “Pick out what ever you’d like.” She handed him the basket.
“Hurry up, Katie.” A voice called.
“Oh shut up, Johnny.” Katie yelled.
J picked out his favorite candy, but he left the sour candies because he knew they were Katie’s favorite. He took all the Kit-Kats, which resulted in him later calling her Kit-Kat.
~~
They were twelve now. It was Kate first real party, there were wine coolers and people were drinking it thinking they were the coolest people ever. J had long since realized that he liked Katie, and he knew she didn’t like him. They were sitting in a circle playing spin the bottle. J was sitting right across from Katie, Aron sitting next to him. Katie spun the bottle and it slowed down coming close to J, but ended up landing on Aron.
“Sorry, dude.” Aron told him.
Katie was big eyed and blushing. It seemed like every girl in their grade thought Aron was cute, and Katie was no exception. The kiss was over with quickly, but it didn’t hurt J any less.
~~
It was the eighth grade dance and everyone was dancing with somebody, except for Katie. She didn’t even want to go but her Aunt made her (‘you are the closest thing to a daughter I have and you are gonna go to this dance and dammit you will enjoy it’). Katie’s hair was up in a bun and she had on a flowy white dress that ended just below the knee, her hair was up in a bun and she had heels on. She was standing in the corner by herself and the look on her face was one of pure misery. J’s mom made him go to the dance as well, but he had an endless amount of girls to dance with him. He snuck away from the current girl and walked over to Katie, his hands in the pockets of his slacks. His hair was sweaty from how hot the gym was and his tie hung loosely on his neck.
“May I have this dance?” He asked bowing slightly and holding his hand out.
“Sure thing, Puppy.” Katie said smiling. That’s was her nick name for him, ever since they were nine and Aron fist called him J-Dog.
He awkwardly put his hands on her waist and she put her hands on his shoulders. The danced like that the whole night, making fun of some of the ‘couples’ and how slutty some of the girl looked.
~~
He remembered the night that Dylan asked Katie out. Aron had sympathetically patted his back. He left the party early and when he got home he broke down. He threw everything from pillows to his radio across the room; he even punched a hole in the door of his closet. He eventually collapsed on the floor. His love for Katie was burning him away, it was exhausting him. His heart had holes, and it seemed like he would never get out.
J wondered if Katie knew exactly how many lines in their songs were dedicated to her. He remembered when Johnny asked for his help with a song, and J used Katie for the inspiration. The song was Circles. Maybe if Katie knew that J loved her….but that could also fuck everything up.
“Funny’s in his bunk, dude.” Danny told J. “You don’t have to worry about him and Katie hooking up.”
J sighed and got up.
“And, J. Make your move.” Danny said. J looked back at him confused, “You love her, and it’s kind of obvious. I look at Theresa the same way.”
J smiled and went back to his bunk and saw Katie was still awake. She was on her I-Phone, probably on that I-Funny thing. J changed into his pajamas, which was a pair of sweatpants with no shirt. When Katie saw him her eyes got big and she blushed a little before turning back to her phone. J had a satisfied smirk on his face as he climbed into his bunk. He thought about what Danny said, it would be now or never. He was nervous; he took a deep breath before he started talking.
“Hey, Kit-Kat?” J asked.
“Yeah, Pups?” Katie answered. J smiled as she used his nickname, something he hadn’t heard in forever.
“Well, uh. I was wondering, and I know this isn’t big or anything and it’s probably really lame, but would you like to go out with me tomorrow? On like a date?” J asked, stuttering the last part.
“Yes of course.” Katie answered. J sighed happily
Katie’s head popped up by the side of his bunk, “And it wasn’t lame, it was sweet.” She kissed quickly on the lips before disappearing into her bunk