Status: **I originally posted this on hockeyfanfiction.com

A New Team

The Big Game

I made my way to my seat for tonight’s game. I didn’t really have any Caps gear so when I was at Nicky’s this morning I borrowed a team sweatshirt to wear. When I sat down in my seat I was the only one there until the boys came out for the pregame warmups.

“Are you Palmer?” asked a nice looking blonde lady.

"Ya." I answered.

"Its so good to meet you! I'm Brandi!" She said. "I'm Braden Holtby's fiancée."

"Its nice to meet you too! You already know I'm Palmer." I said. "I'm Nicky's girlfriend."

"I know. Nick told Braden to tell me that you were going to be sitting with the wives and girlfriends today." She said.

"Oh. Cool. I'm really excited to be sitting this close!" I said. We were sitting front row and to the left of the penguins bench.

"Hey Palmer," said Brandi, "this is Carmen Brouwer. Troy's wife"

"Its nice to meet you." I said as I shook her her hand. "I'm Palmer. Nick's girlfriend."

"Aww that's so cute." She said. "How long have you been together?" "

Just about a week." I answered. Then the lights went out. Out skated the refs. After them came the Penguins. The entire arena booed. Then we heard "And now your hometown team!! The Washingtooooon Capitalsssss!!!!" Everyone screamed.

LETS GO CAPS LETS GO CAPS LETS GO CAPS

The starters took center ice, the ref dropped the puck, and the game started. The boys came out strong. There was lots of shooting and tons of hitting. At the end of the period the game was scoreless.

About five minutes into the second period Sidney Crosby had the puck along the boards right in front of us. Alex Oveckin skated up and hit him right into the boards. Brandi and Carmen jumped up and started hitting the glass. So I did too. For a split second he looked up. He saw me and froze. Ovi hit him again and then he stripped the puck. He skated up and passed it off to Nick. He shot, and he scored! I jumped up and cheered. Brandi and Carmen hugged me and we high fived everyone around.

Sidney skated to the bench looking really pissed off. I hoped Nick would watch out for him. He got mad pretty easily and I didn’t know if he would want to take out his frustration with me on Nick, or anyone else on the team.

Midway through the third period Nicky was calling for the puck from Ovi. He wasn’t looking at Sidney. It only took a second Sidney had his elbow out and hit him. Hard. Nick was on the ground. He rolled over onto his back. I saw blood on the ice, his visor had cracked and cut a big gash above his eyebrow.

I was scared. Was a cut like that supposed to bleed that much? T the trainer led him off of the ice and there was a standing ovation for him. Sidney got a five minute major for an “illegal check to the head”. Brandi and Carmen looked over at me.

“Are you okay?” Asked Brandi.

“Yeah. I guess.” I answered. “I’m just wondering how bad the cut actually is.”

“I don’t know.” said Carmen. “I’ve seen guys come back and play after some pretty bad stuff, but there’s only like seven minutes left in the game. So he probably won’t come back out.” I sighed.

“Yeah I kinda guessed that.” I answered.

The game started up again after the blood was cleaned off of the ice. The power play unit came out and Ovi looked like he could kill. Mike Ribero won the faceoff and passed it to Ovechkin. He hit a slap shot and put it in the back of the net. Since it was a major, Sidney had to stay in the box for the full five minutes even if the Caps scored.

When Sidney’s penalty was over the Caps were still up two to nothing. There were only two minutes left. Holtby made some amazing saves, everyone made some amazing shots, and finally the period ended. The boys ran out to celebrate the two to nothing win, but you could tell that something was wrong. A member of their team was still missing.