Status: **I originally posted this on hockeyfanfiction.com

A New Team

A Date

I had been texting Nicky for almost two days now. Usually just stuff about his games and my job, but today he had invited me to come to lunch with him after practice. I had no idea how he was able to make time for me. The playoffs had just started and the Caps were playing the New York Islanders in this series. They won the first two games lost the third and won the fourth. The boys had just come back from New York the other night and were playing here tonight.

I felt weird seeing him right before a huge game. Would he be in some weird pre game mode? I had no idea what to expect from him. I called my friend Amy earlier. She was the only one who knew about how I had met Nicky. She really didn’t have much advice to give me besides look cute and be flexible. Whatever.

Nicky said he’d pick me up at one o’clock after his practice was over. It was twelve thirty and I was almost ready to go. I was dressed cute but casual with my rolled white jeans and blue blouse. A few minutes later I got a text. It was from Nicky.

I’m outside are you ready?

My heart beat I little faster. I had to admit I was a bit nervous about seeing him again. I guess he liked me after he told me he wanted to see me again, but what if he didn’t like me after today. I pushed that thought out of my mind as I answered his text.

On my way down!

When I got outside he was parked on the street right in front of the entrance to my apartment. He was leaning up against that red Range Rover that I had been blocking when I had first met him. “Hey!” He said when he noticed that I had come down.

“Hi.” I answered. I didn’t really know what to say. So i just asked the first thing that came to my mind. “Where are we going to lunch?”

“Theres this small place I know in the city. I think you’ll like it.” I had forgotten how his accent sounded. It was really cute and it wasn’t hard to understand. He also talked very quietly. He opened the door of the car for me and we took off.

“How was practice?” I asked

“It was good.” said NIcky. “I think we’re ready for tonight.”

“Oh yeah.” I said, “I’m excited to watch you guys on TV tonight. Game four was so exciting! I was having a heart attack until you guys finally scored!” He laughed at that.

“Yeah I was having a heart attack too.” He answered, “Do you want me to see if I can get you a couple tickets for the game tonight for you and your brother?”

“Really?” I exclaimed, “He would love that! And so would I!”

“I’ll make a call when I get home then text you.” He answered, “We’re here.” He shut his engine off and got out of the car to open the door for me. We were at cute little cafe on the outskirts of DC. We walked in and sat down.

“So what is your job again?” Nicky asked me after we had ordered.

“I teach tennis in the morning. Mostly to kids who are homeschooled. I only work from like nine to 11:30.” I answered.

“Thats a cool job.” He answered.

“Yeah, its easy.” I said. “ We should play sometime. Maybe after a practice.” That made him laugh.

“I’m not that good,” He said, “but I would play with you.” And that made me laugh.