Status: **I originally posted this on hockeyfanfiction.com

A New Team

Falling hard

I thought about last night’s game as I drove to work. It had been amazing. The Islander scored in the middle of the first period and we were down one at the end. About five minutes into the second period, the Islanders had a penalty and our boys went to the powerplay. Nicky’s line came out and he scored with an assist from Marcus Johansson. It was a great pass and a great shot.They scored with only 22 seconds left in the powerplay. It was still tied at the end of the second period, but the Caps came out on fire in the third. They scored once with a slapshot from Mike Green and again with a tap in from Mathieu Perreault.

“What’s got you all quiet today?” Asked Ken, the pro that I teach my clinic with, after I had walked in and put my bag away and taken my racket out. I usually talk his ears off about anything thats going on. I laughed.

“Nothing really.” I replied. “I was just thinking about last night. I went to the Caps game.”

“What? No fair.” Said Ken. He knew that Alex Ovechkin came to Army Navy to learn to play tennis when he was trying to get to know his now fiancee Maria Kirilenko. He was still mad that he was the only pro who had never met him. “You know I never got to meet Alex when he played here.”

“Yeah, I know” I said while laughing and rolling my eyes. “You ready to start?”

“Yep” He said as we pushed the ball carts onto the courts to meet up with the kids who were waiting for practice to start.

When practice was over I practically ran to my bag. I had totally forgotten to text Nicky about his great game! I mean we weren’t together, but I wanted to let him know that I’d had a great time last night and that I was excited that the boys had won, and that he scored. I grabbed my phone.

Hey! Just got off of work! AWESOME game last night!!! Thanks again for the tix!

I started getting all of my stuff together and headed out to my car. When my phone buzzed.

Wanna come over?

My heart beat faster. Of course I did. Another buzz. It was his address. I hope this meant he was falling for me as hard as I was falling for him. I answered his text.

I’m on my way.

..........................................................

His house was really nice. It was big and brick. I parked in his driveway and texted him that I was here. I hopped out of the car and he was already there opening the front door for me. I ran up to the door and gave him a huge hug. He looked pretty surprised. “Great game last night!” I said as I let him go.

“Thanks.” He laughed. Probably at how I’m all of ten inches shorter than him which made my hug even funnier. He lead me into his living room. It was kind of modern kind of traditional. There was a wall mounted TV on one wall and a couch pushed up against the other. In front of the TV was one huge bean bag chair. The TV was turned on and some video game pause screen was displayed on it. “Whatcha playin?” I asked.

“Call of Duty.” He answered. “Its something mind numbing to do between practices and workouts. Me and the other guys on the team play online together a lot.”

“Cool my brothers and I used to play this.” I answered. We sat next to each together in the bean bag. I was big enough for the both of us.

“Wanna drop in?” He asked me.

“Yeah sure.” I said. Why not? I hadn’t played in forever but I thought I would be fine. He handed me a controller and we started playing. It was harder than I remembered. I kept getting killed. Nicky had only died once when I had five time. By the tenth time I died Nicky’s team had beaten mine. So I put the controller down and slid into his lap. “Nice job.” i said and gave him a peck on the cheek. He looked into my eyes and I looked into his. He kissed me. He wasn’t just good he was great. I wrapped my arms around his neck and he slid his hand under my shirt. I felt his huge hand on my back and I ran my fingers through his hair. Just when everything was getting good, there was a knock on the door. I jumped a little. Nicky laughed a little and gave me one of his cute half smiles. I stood up to let him answer the door.

I sat back down in the bean bag to wait for Nicky to come back. Then I heard talking. “She’s here?” asked a deep russian sounding voice.

​ “Yes.” replied Nicky. I heard them walk closer to me. “Palmer, I want you to meet someone.” I stood up and looked over. In walked Alex Ovechkin.