Status: My first story, so sorry if it's bad!!

Minding My Business

Crossed Fingers

Darius could hear the pounding on the door, the scrapes on the wall, obviously from Ariana's room. She was screaming her head off.

"Get me out of here!" Ariana shrieked. "Get me out!!" Sirens screamed outside. The paramedics knocked on the door, Darius ran to it and fumbled with the lock.

"Hang on!" he said. He hoped the paramedics weren't impatient.

They ran up the stairs, unlocked the door to Ariana's room and walked in. They slipped an oxygen mask over her head and let her breathe.

"Now, we'll keep your sister in here for a while, until she calms down," the woman with ruby red hair said to Darius. "Any idea what she was hallucinating about? Anything in particular?"

Darius ran through the scene in his head.

"Uhm," he stammered. "I think- I think it was Tuesday. I don't know what Tuesday is, but it didn't like me and, and er, it wanted to kill me."

"Good." the lady said. "Now who's taking care of you? You shouldn't have been left alone with a schizophrenic." The paramedic was treating Darius as if he was a five year old. Darius just had to turn his cheek.

"Our mom- Lena Holmer, I'm Darius Holmer and she's Ariana Holmer. Our dad left us ages ago, but our mom is good at taking care of us. She's at work." Darius said slightly agitated. She was acting as if he was eight- not eighteen.

Soon Ariana became calm. The ambulance drove off. That meant there was only the two of them left.

"I'm so sorry," Ariana said, tears running down her pale cheeks. "I'm so sorry. That cat- Tuesday was-"

"I know, I know," Darius said softly, sweeping her golden hair behind her ears. "It's okay. The doctor said if you stay on the medicine it'll go away. And you know what? Cats suck anyway." Ariana grinned.

Hopefully the mental disorder would go away. Hopefully their mom would come home and take care of both of them. Hopefully Darius wouldn't get killed. There was nothing they could do, but hope.