‹ Prequel: Colour Me Slytherin
Status: Updating every other day (preferably daily)

Call Me Professor

Retired Bounty Hunter

The cold rain pounded hard against the window pane of a dimly lit room. A woman sat, tilting her chair back on two legs as she watched the darkened sky continue to pelt the cobble stone streets with its freezing droplets.

The bustle of the pub below grew loud as the night wore on, but then grew more silent as the wee hours of the morning had taken place of the late night.

Finally, the time had arrived. The woman sitting alone in her room had risen from her chair, which she balanced on precariously, and stepped towards the door. Her bag in tow, she creaked the door open just slightly, only enough to peer out into the hall so as to make sure the coast was clear. Seemingly satisfied, she quietly clicked the door closed, and turned towards the stairs of the creaking inn. She had barely taken a few steps when another woman appeared at the end of the hallway, a slightly amused expression on her face.

“Thinking to escape?” the newly arrived woman asked, her dark brown and purple hair tied behind her.

The other woman tensed, trying to find a way out undetected so she did not cause more ruckus than needed.

A quick movement from the woman at the end of the hall had rendered the other woman stiff and rigid. With a surprisingly soft thud, she landed on the ground unable to move. “I’ll be carting you back to Azkaban.” the woman uttered, grabbing the rope that she created out of thin air, and pulling the other woman along behind her after tying the rope to her ankles.

***

“Wotcher, Smat.” one of the guards leading into Azkaban nodded at the woman, who was now carrying another woman on her shoulder. “Who you got there, then?”

Alice nodded in greeting, but getting right down to business. “Amelia Draglock.” you watched as the man’s eyes scrolled down the list of wanted witches and wizards, and then tick off the name. Dropping her roughly on the ground, you collected your gallons and left. Azkaban was not somewhere you liked to frequent.

Leaving the grounds of Azkaban, you turned and disapparated. Although it was unpleasant, you have gotten quite used to the sensation of having your lungs squeezed. You walked up the familiar path, glancing around to make sure you weren’t being followed. It had been three years since you were home. As you continued to walk forward, the scene that happened years ago flashed before your eyes.

You could hear the familiar voices in the dining room, they seemed joyful, and almost carefree. You pushed the doors aside, and stepped into the now deadly silent room, it had been weeks since you came out of your room, and now, you had finally re-appeared.

Narcissa smiled at you, Lucius stared for a moment, but turned his attention back to your father. Draco however, had a slight grin on his face.

He asked to be excused, and stood from his chair, “come for a walk?” he whispered in your ear as he passed by you.

You turned and followed him out of the doors and into the gardens.

“Nice day, isn’t it?” Draco asked, looking towards the sky, then glanced at you.

You smiled slightly, casting a glance towards the sky. Your eyes seemed to have a little bit of life back in them. “I’m going to be leaving.” you said quietly, slowing to a stop near a bench.

Draco stopped and turned to get a good look at you, “leaving where?”

You shrugged, “I don’t know yet…. Go wherever life takes me, I guess…” you responded. You knew this was something you had to do, something that would help ease the pain of loosing Fred.

“I’ll come with you, then.” Draco said suddenly, taking your hand in his. “I’ve waited so long to be close to you again, and I don’t want to miss this opportunity.”

Your small smile faltered for a moment, “I’m sorry Draco, but this is something I need to do on my own….” you could see the hurt in his eyes. You gripped his hand, you really were sorry.


You pushed the door into the hall open, and was greeted by curses shot at your head. You easily deflected them, and stared at your parents. “You’re loosing your touch.” you stated flatly at your father.

“Alice…” your mother stared in shock, it looked as if she was about to fall over.

“I’m back…” you said shrugging, pulling your shoes off and walking towards your parents, who immediately engulfed you in a hug. You pulled away after a moment, “Alright, no need to strangle me.” you said calmly, your parents eyes watching you.

You and your parents stood in awkward silence for a moment, before your mother piped up.

“What brings you back home?” she asked, there were still shadows of shock on her face.

You shrugged, “I figured I’m done with bounty hunting.” you glanced around, “Where’s Shadow?”

Shadow heard a familiar voice say his name, and came bounding into the house from the garden. Immediately recognizing his master, he jumped up and started attempting to lick her face.

“Down Shadow.” you said, patting the dog’s head lightly when he obeyed. “Well, I guess that answers that question.” you muttered under your breath.

You turned your attention to your parents, “so, know anywhere that’s willing to hire a retired bounty hunter?” you grinned slightly when your mother’s face brightened a little bit at the mention of a job.

***

Diagon Alley was packed as usual, kids buying all the books and things they would need for their year at Hogwarts.

Draco looked around, a bored expression on his face, yet another year of brainless morons would be taking his potions class. He had just finished buying supplies for the year, when he had caught a glimpse of dark brown and purple hair. ‘It couldn’t be….’ he thought to himself, turning to the left to investigate his hunch that he had just saw Alice Smat running around Diagon Alley. It turned out to be a girl that had a coloured streak in her hair, obviously not Alice for she was too young.

***

It was the first night at Hogwarts, term had officially started, Professor McGonagall was now headmistress of Hogwarts. She had informed the students that the Forbidden Forest was out of bounds, and that certain items had been added to Mr. Filch’s list of banned things. Most of them from Weasley Wizard Wheezes.

The last thing she had to mention before the feast began, was the new teacher for Defence Against The Dark Arts. McGonagall had drawn every bodies attention to a woman who had tipped back her chair on two legs, and looked seemingly bored. She gave a small wave to the crowd of students.

One teacher in particular seemed to be shocked by the new Defence Against The Dark Arts teacher. His pale storm coloured eye’s couldn’t leave her face, maybe he hadn’t been imagining things in Diagon Alley. Before he could say anything, however, the feast had begun, which was accompanied by the loud chatter of students telling their friends how their summer had been.

The familiar calls of prefects rang through the halls, ‘Ravenclaw’s, follow me please.’ and “Gryffindor’s this way’ as the students were lead from the great hall.

Draco casted a glance down the table to see that the new teacher had disappeared. Hastily getting up, he determined that she would in her office unpacking her things. So that’s where he decided to go. He headed along the corridors, Slytherin’s all greeted their head of house, but he ignored them as he was in a bit of a hurry. Swinging the door to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom open, he glanced around only to see an empty room. He walked towards the office door, and peered inside through the small crack.

“Sneaking into my classroom already, Draco?” a soft woman’s voice called out through the darkness on the other side of the room. The dog at her side snarled, barring its teeth.

Draco turned, and stared at the woman, he had not imagined her at all. “Alice….” his voice was tight, and choked up. When she told him she was going to be going away for a while, he thought he’d never see her again. Thought that she would be gone for good, never to return, find a lover in a far away land, marry and have children. But it seemed that he was wrong.

You pushed yourself off the wall, and looked him up and down with a raised eyebrow. “Call me Professor.” you walked towards Draco quietly, holding his gaze with your own.
♠ ♠ ♠


A/N: Finally nailed this story! This should have been finished by ages already..
But anyway, enjoy! :)