Status: New.

Hate Me, Love Me, Protect Me.

Flash backs and arguments.

I sat in front of J&J Bail Bonds. I could already hear what Leland would say if he saw me get out and walk in. “You're doing something dangerous and you know it. Don't play dumb Zariah.” I sighed and pulled away from the curb. I drove for hours just endlessly thinking. All the what ifs, all the what could of and flash backs. A lot of flash backs.

~Flash Back~

Leland and I were both 16. Dating for two years by that point.
“I'm going to be a bad ass gangster.” Leland said as we laid on his bed, me on my stomach, him on his back. “What ever you say baby.” I said looking at him. “What? Don't want to date a big bad gangster?” Leland smirked. “I'm not going to date a gangster. So if you want to be a single gangster going into the life, go ahead. I'll date Duane Lee.” I smiled. Leland smiled and kissed me. “Yeah, I'm not letting you go.” He said before holding me close to him. I moved to where I was on my side, my head on his chest and my arm around him. He kissed my forehead and smiled when I cuddled close. “Leland?” “Yeah.” “I love you.” I said. “I love you too.” He said, putting us under the blanket. I was sleeping over at his house because the less I had to be home, the better. I got up and changed in to my night shorts and sports bra and waited for Leland to get out of the bathroom so I can have the inside part of the bed. Leland came in and turned off the lights. He wrapped his arms around me and cuddled me. “Night Zar.” “Night Leland.” I said before falling asleep.

~end of Flash back.~

I sat on top of the cliff and looked over the edge. I played music on my phone and Someday by Sugar Ray started to play. I smirked at the song before changing it. I got up and watched as dolphins jumped out of the water. I smiled before getting back in my truck and leaving.

~Flash back.~

I spit blood out of my mouth as I took another kick to the ribs. I tried to block the kicks but nothing worked. My father slammed down his bottle on the ground next to my head. “I rather find you dead in a ditch than share the same last name with you. Worthless little bitch.” He said before grabbing his keys and walking out the door. It hurt to move but if I wanted to live to see tomorrow, I knew I had to leave the house. It took a while for me to get up and walking. Walking hurt like a mother f-er and so did breathing but I did it. I grabbed my medical bag and the bag that had been repacked that morning. Lucky, I hadn't put it under the bed yet. I grabbed my keys to my car and slowly walked to my car. I drove away from the house as fast as I could. “Hello?” He said. “I'm about to be outside, It hurts to walk. Will you come help me inside Leland?” I asked. “Yeah.” He said. I could hear the anger in his voice. I started to cry again. “I'm sorry.” I sobbed pulling up to his house. He snapped the phone shut and walked toward the car. He swiftly opened the door and lifted me up. I cried into his shoulder. The more upset I was getting the more air was harder to find.

“Zariah, I'm going to put pressure on it okay?” Leland asked, seeing the huge bruise on my ribs. I nodded and winced when he lightly touched it. “I think I should take you to the hospital babe.” Leland said pulling my shirt back down. “No...No hospital. No nothing. Just give me something to knock me out.” I said. He looked at me with sorrow look. “Okay.” He said before going and grabbing some nite quil. I took it and cuddled up in his bed. “I'll be in the gym if you need me okay?” He asked running his fingers through my hair. I nodded and he kissed my fore head. I closed my eyes as he continued to run his fingers through my hair. “Zariah?” “Yeah?” “Why don't you leave? I'll leave with you.” He asked. “It's not that easy.” I said. He nodded and kissed my forehead again. I heard him leave. The sounds of his fist connecting with the punching bag was angry. I couldn't blame him. I was angry too.

~End of Flash Back.~

I had pulled up to a Wendy's and ordered a grilled chicken sandwich and drove home. My phone rung Leland's ringtone. I flipped my phone open and put it on speaker. “What's up?” I asked. “Can you come by the office. I need to talk.” Leland said. “Yeah I'm close by so, I'll just drop by.” I said. “Okay see you in a few beautiful.” Leland said before hanging up. I finished my sandwich and popped some mints in my mouth.

I got out of my car and sprayed perfume on me. I put my phone in my pocket and locked my car. I walked into the office and Leland waved me over. “Hey guys.” I said walking by. “Hey Zar.” They all said not looking up at from the work. I walked over to where Leland was and he took me out side. “Wanna go up to the cliff?” He asked. “Sure.” I said. We got in his car and drove up to the cliff I was earlier.

We sat on the cliff, watching the sunset. “I have been thinking and I finally realized it last night. I was putting the boys down to bed and went back in to the front room. I realized that if I wanted to come home to anyone with my boys, it would be you. I would want to sleep in the same bed and would work to save our marriage. The marriage with Maui, isn't worth saving. The divorce gets finalized tomorrow. I'm leaving to go back to Kona in a week. The point of this is asking if you would move back with me?” Leland asked. “Yeah.” I smiled. He smiled back and we headed back to the office.

“So?” Beth and Lyssa said looking at us when we walked through the door. “I'm staying here.” I said. Leland smiled. “What?!” Beth said. “I'm kidding. I'm moving with Leland.” I said. They cheered and hugged us.

I laid on the couch curled up with a blanket and Austin Powers playing on the TV. I yawned while my phone decided to sing to me. I flipped open to read the text. “Start packing tomorrow? Good night beautiful, sleep tight.” The text said. I smiled and replied. “Sure. Around 11? Good night handsome, don't let the bed bugs bite.” “I'll come over with help.” He replied. I snapped my phone shut and walked to bed turning off lights and the TV.

~Flash Back~

I sitting up on cliff, leaning on Leland. “If you want to leave, I'll leave with you.” Leland whispered into my ear. “If it was as simple as packing and leaving, I would. Our homes, our families, everything we worked for gone with just one decision. I would probably never be the same.” “You wouldn't be black and blue.” Leland said. “I know I wouldn't be. I know how protective you are of me. I've seen it.” I said looking up at him. “He deserved it and you know it.” Leland said. “Never said he didn't.” I said. “He's lucky I didn't rip his head off.” “I know. If I saw some one holding you against a locker trying to have her way with you, I'd be the last face she sees.” I said. Leland kissed my forehead. I laced my fingers between his and relaxed.

~End of flashback.~

I woke up around 8 and got in the shower. I got dressed and unloaded some boxes from the back of my truck. I started to pack up stuff that wasn't to heavy. I played music and did a little dancing here and there.

“Hey Jazz. I need to talk to you about something. Come over when you have the chance. Bye.” I said into her voice mail. Leland and the guys broke up the book selves and dresser. I watched as I was told to do. I started to pack up all my tattoo books and extra tattoo gun and supplies. “We can ship all this to the house.” Leland said handing me stuff. “Awesome.” I said. Leland sat next to me. “So have you thought of any names?” Leland asked. “I was thinking of Demetria May” I said closing the box. “That's pretty.” Leland said. “Lunch?” Duane Lee called from the door. “Yes!” I said getting up. They all laughed at me. “Hey, pregnant woman has to eat.” I said.

Leland's P.O.V

"Zariah, where are your pans?" I asked from the kitchen. "They're all packed up!" She yelled from the bathroom. "How do we cook then?" "There pre-cooked meals in the freezer!" She yelled. I got out some food and put them in the microwave. She came out five minutes later dressed in a tank top and shorts her hair up in a loose pony tail. I smiled at her and she smiled back. "So are you excited to move into a house?" I asked. "Yeah totally." She said. She jumped up on the counter and sat there. I grabbed some paper plates and forks and poured some spaghetti on both of our plates. I handed Zariah hers and we walked to the table.

Around mid meal my cell went off. We both looked at it before I got up and answered it. "Bail bonds." I said. "Where are you? Don't you know you have boys to come home to? Who are you with?" Maui yelled in my ear. " I'm at Zariah's. Do you want to me come and get the boys?" I asked looking at her. "Why are you over there? Moved on a little to soon?" Maui said. "Maui. I'll come and get the boys. Just don't drag Zariah into this." I said. Zariah looked at her phone as it went off. She answered it and walked to the kitchen.

I loaded the boys up in my car and took off back to Zariahs. The boys sung along with the radio as I drove.

When I pulled into Zariah's driveway her truck was gone. The boys unloaded and we walked into the house. They played with the Xbox and I made them a plate of spaghetti.

45 minutes later Zariah walked in the door. "Zariah!" The boys yelled running to hug her. They tackled her and almost knocked her to the ground. "Hey guys. Let me put my stuff down and then I'll hug you okay?" She said. "Okay." They said before going back to the Xbox. "You okay?" I asked standing next to her. She removed her big glasses and there was a small cut and her eye started to bruise. "Who did this?" I asked. "My parents where there And decided to show me how much they missed me." She said. I hugged her. "Let me take care of that." I said. She nodded and sat down in the chair.

The boys laid down on the pull out couch and Zariah went to sleep after I cleaned her cut. I got in the shower and got changed in to some night pants. I crawled up in bed with Zariah and put my arm around her. She shifted in her sleep. She looked at me. "Hey." She said softy. "Hey." I said back. "The boys asleep?" She asked. I nodded. "See you in the morning?" "Yeah." "Night Leland." "Night Zariah." I said. I kissed her forehead and we fell asleep.