I Drank Your Milkshake

CHAPTER 10

We started running. We didn't know where we were running to, but we just ran. It was freezing, and I was dressed for summer, but we ran.

"Where are we going?" I yelled, so that Andrew could hear over our pounding feet.

"Keep your voice down!" he whispered. "And, I don't know. Somewhere where he can't find us." He, being my dad. We were making milkshakes when we saw him. He followed our bus. Dad was coming no longer for me, but for the man who stole his girl. Andrew.

"You should take that off," Andrew puffed, pointing at my poster tube with a strap. I used it to keep my hand-drawn posters in. I always kept it on so that I knew how lucky I was to find fun., and Andrew. I shook my head. This was sentimental. I couldn't throw it away. It would be like throwing your grandmother's jade bracelet down the drain. I could never do it. I knew he was pissed, but I ignored it. Finally, we spotted a shed, in a field past a fence.

"You ready to jump it?" he whispered.

"Of course! I'm tough!" I laughed. It was barbed, and way too high. We couldn't possibly jump it. Andrew touched a clear bit of wire. It was electric.

"Crawl," I puffed. "Army crawl." And so we did. We army crawled under the fence and ran into the shed. The two of us hid behind a pile of firewood. We could hear his footsteps, big and loud. I could hear him grunt as he tried to jump over the wire fence. He decided to squeeze through the gaps in the wire (dumb guy). His soles of his shoes were plastic, so sadly he didn't get electrocuted. I stood up and saw him coming. I ran out.

"Teagan!" Andrew hissed. "What are you?-"

"Stay here, I've got a plan," I promised him. I ran out and called for dad. He came, armed with a hunting gun.

"What do you think you're doing?" he yelled. "You little tart!" He slapped me, right across the face. It hurt, but I had to be strong, in case Andrew came running out. He fingered the gun's trigger.

"Where's the boy?" he asked far too loudly. "Where's he gone?"

"I don't know! He left me and ran! I've been looking for him." I lied. I was good at lying. "Actually, I think I saw him.. over there!" He turned around, barrel up. I quickly pulled my poster tube over my head, and grasped the bottom with my two hands. I threw the tube behind my head, like a baseball bat. Dad turned around.

"Wher-" he began, but I was too quick. I hit him hard in his stomach, then again in the ribs, repeating the process. He soon toppled over- he was knocked out. Andrew came running.

"Did you see me?" I laughed. "I knocked him out!"

"You definitely did!" he smiled. Andrew dialled 911. He told them that he was crazy. They police came straight away.

"That'll be the last you'll see of him," the constable said, dragging my foster dad into the cop car. Andrew had explained the whole story to him. We couldn't believe it. The whole ordeal was over.

"Better get you home." Andrew said, his arm around me. "Jill will be wondering where we went!"

"Wait 'till I tell her about my fighting skills!" I exclaimed, doing a karate chop in the air. We both laughed. Away we walked, into the house. No longer strangers, but brother and sister.

"Now, for a nice drink," I said, licking my lips. "A milkshake!" I looked around the kitchen bench, but it wasn't there.

Andrew looked guiltily at me, deep into my eyes and slowly said,

"I drank your milkshake."
♠ ♠ ♠
The fence part I actually did at camp, serious stuff, I know.