I Drank Your Milkshake

CHAPTER 4

"Well, at least step-sister, anyway." Teagan said, her voice thick. It took me a while to process. I read the piece of paper. Thick, dark letters stated Pre-Adoptive Birth Certificate. It had my mothers and someone elses name on it. She had probably been married to him.

"It's a lot to take in, I know." Teagan muttered. "I've also got this," She passed me an adoption certificate. It said Teagan was adopted by a Seth Weaber and Elizabeth Emerson Weaber. Teagan saw me staring at the names.

"She died," she said a little sadly. "A few years ago. Breathing difficulties. So I'm left with my dad, Seth. I think he's mentally disabled, and he thinks that everyone's out to get him. He doesn't let me go outside. He doesn't get food, I eat food that my friend sneaks through my windows. He also used to beat me. I ran away, but now I know he's coming. I came to Italy, to you, in hopes that you can help me hide, I knew that no one else would get it."

"You have a kind heart, Andrew, I can feel it. My true dad left, leaving me with your mother. She met your dad and knew she couldn't keep me, so she gave me away. I hope you understand. I hope you'll help me. Will you? Please?"

This was a lot to think about. I wondered what Nate and Jack would say. I wondered what my parents would say. I wondered what Jill would say. My thoughts were interrupted by a waiter.

"Would you like to order?" he asked in smooth English. I shook my head.

"Yes please," Teagan said. "Long black, thanks." She drank my coffee. She wore my type of denim jacket. She had the same colour hair. She had my eyes. The more I thought about it, the more I knew that she was my step-sister.

"So, will you?" Teagan asked hopefully. "Will you take me under your wing?"

It didn't take any thinking.

"Yes," I said. "Of course."