‹ Prequel: Kisses
Sequel: Beach
Status: Drabble/Completed/Finished

Mermaid

Mermaid 1/1

Image

Have you ever seen something that there was no way for it to be real? Have you ever questioned your eyesight because you had never seen a wonderful being like the one you had been staring at? Have you ever felt jealous because you wanted to be a creature that was not supposed to exist?

Her voice was magical as she stayed outside of the water and sang. Her sweet voice was like a forbidden melody to my ears and it made my heart melt away. I had been watching her for the last two weeks. She always swam towards that spot, near the hot sand and every three minutes or more she would go back inside the water to wet herself so she wouldn’t burn thanks to the sun.

When she laid on the hot sun with her wet mermaid body, her straight, long, black hair covered her back as the sun tried to lightly kiss her slender arms and her back. Her dark ocean, mermaid tail was wet but as soon as the sun made the water disappear from her tail, she went inside the beautiful and mysterious sea. She was so beautiful, more beautiful than any other woman I had seen. She was prettier than me and I felt the jealousy building up inside me along with sweet feelings of love.

I was a young girl and she was a beautiful mermaid but I fell for her. How did I fall in love you ask? I watched her every move these days. She always did the same daily routine. She seemed to wish she was a human like I wished to be a mermaid by her side, exploring the deepest parts of the sea. It was sad, seeing as how we could never be together. I walked but she swam. I could stand but she couldn’t. I had legs but she had her dark ocean tail. I needed land but she needed water. We were the same and yet so different. There was no way we could ever be together.

But I remember one day, late at night, when she came to the surface. I looked at her and our eyes made contact. It was as if time had stopped and we would stare at each other forever. But, every moment has to pass and that moment did. I watched her leave…leave the sand, leave the sea, and leave my heart.

My voice which screamed for her to stay was rejected and the last words I whispered to her before she disappeared into the cold water of the sea were, ‘’I love you’’ as tears rolled down my eyes. The first tears for an unrequired love.

I never forgot about her because she was the only woman I longed to be with. She was the first and the last mermaid I saw but I never thought that everything might have been a dream, because my love for her had the deepest feeling I had ever felt. Only the first time…the first time I saw her, I thought I was imagining things but she was there, staring at me with flesh and blood. She was there.